(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
Kinsolving, C. J. Dr.
Raymond, C. S.
Wadak, F. S,
Wells, H. A.
| Company 3507 came into existence when a cadre of 23
men was organized from Company 507 on July 5, 1935, at Camp Zaleski, Ohio.
Ten days later 147 men were recruited, bringing it to full strength.
The first home of Company 3507 was Camp Vinton, McArthur, Ohio. The men worked on various projects. Timber was cruised, a sawmill was operated which furnished lumber for construction about camp and camps of others. Over 750,000 board feet of chestnut lumber was salvaged from dead trees given up as useless by commercial concerns. A nursery was built in which various species of trees were propagated for reforestation of burnt-over areas, for checking erosion in deep cullies and steep hills. Over 2,750,000 locust trees alone were planted in the biennium 1936-1937. Built for recreational purposes were 228 picnic tables and 26 latrines, numerous bulletins, signs and fire permit registration booths were constructed for the Wayne Purchase Unit of the Wayne National Forest.
This model camp had city-type sewerage, water, light system, concrete sidewalks, and commercial laundry, thanks to the willingness and hard work on the part of enrolled men during their spare time in the evenings.
Company 3507 achieved an outstanding record in such sports as
basketball, track, and baseball. The company team won the Ohio District
baseball championship in 1936.
Another service was that of searching for lost people. On three occasions searching parties were formed and rescued four people.
Company 3507 at Camp Vinton claimed the highest wooden flagpole in the State of Ohio, the same being 104 feet above the ground. On August 25, 1936, this tall bearer of the national emblem was struck down by lightning in a severe electrical storm. Three different trees were used in its construction. Upon being repaired, it was lengthened to 111 feet by aid of steel tubing. Project Superintendent H. R. Sherwood, of Camp Vinton, deserves mention in that he was a powerful influence on the young men; one of his most beneficial activities was to secure for enrollees good paying jobs in civilian life.
Assistant Leader Thomas Cantor, under the direction of Project Superintendent H. R. Sherwood, built a very splendid three-section exhibit depicting the work of erosion on farm land and it correction by soil conservation. This model first pictured the Ohio country at the time of virgin forests and meadows, second depicting the present-day stage of erosion and finally showed the country-side as the result of proper soil conservation. This erosion-control exhibit, received nation-wide acclaim.
On October 8, 1937, Company 3507 left Camp Vinton to go to Camp Greenville SCS-25, Greenville, Illinois. There the work was of soil conservation service. The members of the company operated a lime quarry. The limestone was used for sweetening sour soils about the country. Erosion-control dams were built in gullies, and then fences were built about these to prevent stock from injuring the planted trees for checking of soil-waste. Another interesting project was that of aiding in the surveying of section and county lines. On December 18, 1937, Company 3507 left for sunny California to aid in the up building of the Lava Beds National Monument.
3507th Company’s present army staff consists of the following: C. S. Raymond, AA-Res., Camp Commander; John Mitterholzer, Jr., 2nd Lieut., CA-Res., Second n Command; Charles J. Kinsolving, M.D., Contract Surgeon, and Blayne M. Brewer, Camp Educational Adviser.
The technical agency staff is manned by the following men: H.
Haynes, Camp Superintendent; H. A. Wells, Senior Foreman; F. S. Wadak,
Senior Forman; J. G. Towns, Senior Foreman; T. D. Toohig, Junior Foreman;
W. W. Shaw, Junior Foreman; R. L. Turner, Blacksmith; L. H. Johnson, Mechanic;
H. C. Loboff, Junior Technician; W. F. King, Mechanic’s Helper; I. M. Allen,
Blacksmith’s Helper; B. Spencer, Mechanic’s Helper; B. Spencer, Mechanic’s
Helper; N. U. Parsons, Blacksmith’s Helper.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description