(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
Barge, Carl H.
Berryman, Edward W.
Blatch, J. R.
Brasfield, J. W.
Chaplin, Linn S.
Edmiston, William E.
Grimes, Edgar B.
Lewis, J. D.
Mace, Lewis L.
Nelson, L. P.
Poole, Bennie W.
Ragan, Ottie L.
Rarr, George W.
Slocum, Yudell K.
Ward, Jesse W.
| On August 1, 1935, an advance cadre of twenty-five
men transferred from 459th Company, Camp Ga. SP-8, constructed a camp at
Rutledge, Ga., under command of Capt. Farrish C. Chandler. On August 15,
1935, this became the home of Company 3442.
The company strength being approximately two hundred, all of the men being Georgia boys except one, an Alabaman. The staff, at that time was: Capt. Farrish C. Chandler, Camp Commander; 1st. Lieut. Ward, Mess Officers; 1st Lieut. Brown, Supply Officer; 1st Lieut. Palmer, Camp Surgeon; T. C. Callaway, Project Superintendent; C. A. Curtis, T. O. Fleming, Senior Foremen; W. A. Richardson, M. R. Waters, M. R. Cooper, H. L. Smith, L. E. Norsworthy, and Paul B. Cook, Junior Foremen.
The camp was located approximately three miles northeast of Rutledge, Ga. The historical background of the camp was graveyard, over one hundred years old, around which the camp was built. The graveyard was approximately seventy feet long and forty feet wide, surrounded by a two-foot rock wall. It has been said that this wall was built during slavery times, and is standing today, evidently the same as was years ago.
In September, 1936, with 1st. Lieut. Charles C. Newman, Jr., in command, the camp grounds were planted in Bermuda grass and shrubbery, and by spring of 1937, the camp grounds were a beautiful lawn. The shrubs had grown considerable height, which added much to the beauty of the camp.
The men of Company 3442 had a very active part in the organization of the Boys and Girls Scout Camp, located on a hill overlooking a beautiful lake. The lake was about two and one-half miles long and one-half mile wide, lying on hundred yards due south of camp.
The main projects of Company 3442 were soil conservation, of which during the twenty-five months at Rutledge, Ca. fifteen hundred acres were planted with trees, three fire towers were constructed, approximately ten miles of roads were built, five miles of telephone lines constructed, and log dams, rock dams, and planting Bermuda grass to prevent more erosion.
On October 12, 1937, Company 3442 was transferred from the Fourth Corps Area to the Ninth Corps Area, with a company strength of one hundred and sixty-two junior enrollees, with 1st. Lieut. George C. Benton, commanding, and 1st. Lieut. Wilbur Wilson, Junior Officer.
The company arrived at their destination, Lakeview, Oregon, on Sunday, October 17, 1937, after traveling five days and six nights, in Pullman coaches, across the United States. Upon arrival at Lakeview, the men were loaded on trucks and transported sixty miles to camp, which is located at the foot of Hart Mountain.
As the trucks transporting the men topped the hill over-looking the camp, disappointment was shown on the faces of all enrollees. The camp, upon arrival, consisted of one tumbledown sack, which was served as army headquarters to date, a stable, which had to serve as a mess hall for a month or more, and three rows of tents, which served as barracks.
Progress with the new camp was slow. Furious winds which shrieked around the base of Hart Mountain and tore at the tents, clutching the men as they went about their daily work, swinging panels, ridge poles, and G. I. cans beserk. Chilled winds and snow clouds became the weather man’s contribution. One night a fierce wind came around the foot of Hart Mountain, and upon the arrival of the next morning, all tents were gone, with the exception of seven. Excitement was plentiful as the boys tried to patch up their tents again. Being unable to do this, all of the enrollees, with the exception of sixty men, were transferred to other companies on temporary detached service. The sixty men who stayed with the camp, worked on the construction of the camp, which is now going strong, under the supervision of Captain Gilbert and Mr. McKee, Construction Officer and Boss Carpenter, respectively.
On November 15, 1937, we were awarded for our previous hardships by Medford District headquarters, in the form of our present, and hoped by all enrollees, permanent Commanding Officer, Captain Linn S. Chaplin. Due to Captain Chaplin’s previous connections with Civilian Conservation companies, he was the right leader to step in and start things buzzing around the foot of Hart Mountain.
Upon Captain Chaplin’s arrival, a goal was set. This goal became the motto of all enrollees, same being: “Have Dinner in a Mess Hall on Thanksgiving”. At the beginning, this seemed almost impossible, but due to Captain Chaplin’s ability to put things across with a BANG, Thanksgiving dinner was eaten in the new mess hall.
In the opinion of all enrollees of this company, Captain Chaplin will always hold the well won honor of being the best Commanding Officer this company has ever had. By the fifteenth of December, the camp will be complete and all the company will be assembled here again for winter quarters. Things are beginning brighten up a lot and will be running smoothly by the time the camp is completed.
The projects of Company 3442 when organized will be construction
of roads, truck trails, horse and stock trails, telephone lines, and the
building of Refuge Headquarters and Ranger Stations.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description