(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
Andrew, Earl V.
Boyd, Lawrence L.
Coker, Paul D.
Crosby, E. H.
Hamrick, C. C.
Hutson, Jay E.
Lanagan, H. V.
LeRoy, Warren S.
Long, C. J.
Maxwell, J. D.
Miller, W. L.
Mortimer, C. H.
Olson, W. O.
ONeal, Chas. W.
Petty, B. M.
Powell, T. J.
Self, Jay B.
Sikes, John D.
Starnes, Homer L.
Thomas, Willie F.
Tracer, Aden A.
Wilson, H. S. Jr.
| Company 3431 was organized August 14, 1935, at Higdons
Store, Georgia, in the Fourth Corps Areas’ District “BP with headquarters
at Fort McPherson. Twenty-five South Carolina men and 128 Georgians under
the command of Lieut. Geo. C. Benton made up this original company.
Camp was located in the Cherokee National Forest, which was later changed to the Chattahooochee National Forest. Forty-eight Georgia men joined the company August 23rd, to bring the organization to full strength.
There were no hardships to encounter during the early months of company 3431, as all buildings were new with a complete set of new equipment. Eating out of mess kits for the first few months was the most unhomely-like discomfort encountered.
On October 15, Lieutenant Benton was relieved as Company Commander by Capt. Clarence R. Trotter. Road construction was the main work on the project during the winter months, under the direction of Mr. J. A. Abercrombie, Project Superintendent. Captain Trotter served his tour of six months’ duty and was relieved by Lieut. Virgil Comer, March 15, 1936.
During the summer of 1936, much attention was turned to the baseball team, which won second place in the Cherokee CCC League.
Lieutenant Comer was relieved September 24, 1936, by Lieut. Marseille Boullement who was in command until March 24, 1937, being replaced by Lieut. Lawrence L. Boyd, who later gained his captain’s commission and is still commanding the organization.
Project Superintendent Abercrombie, who had been with the company since it was organized, was replaced by Mr. Nat Hancock on July 8, 1937.
Twenty-six months stay of Company 3431 at Higdons Store, Georgia, resulted in twenty miles of new road building, thirty-five miles of telephone lines, one game warden dwelling, besides considerable timber survey, trees planted, bridge building, lake surveying, and planting of fish and game.
Men of this organization were conquerors of several forest fires during fire season, also two of the members were sent to the flooded area as relief truck drivers in the spring of 1937.
On August 15, 1937, the company was awarded a Blue Flag as the outstanding camp in its sub-district, and was still flying the flag when transferred to the Ninth Corps Area October 12th.
Company 3431 arrived at Drain, Oregon, October 16, 1937, and became the tenth organization to occupy Camp Gunter GF-1. Its main work for the winter will be road construction. Previous companies at this site have constructed the following: 21 miles horse trial, 20 miles of truck trail, 75 miles telephone, 13 bridges (average length of 40 feet), one 100-foot lookout tower, and a warehouse and a crew house for the Douglas County Fire Association.
The present staff of Company 3431 in its new location, Camp Gunter, Drain, Oregon, follows: Captain Boyd, Commanding; Lieut. Stephen Hanson, Junior Officers; Capt. Earl V. Andrew, Camp Surgeon; Edgar B. Grimes, Educational Adviser; E. H. Crosby, Project Superintendent, and Leo Gandolph, Henry Lanagan, Charlie Mortimer, William Olson, Clifford Crosby, Oscar Hull, Robert Isaacs, and Aden Tracer, Technicians.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids