(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
Boyle, Leo T.
Coley, H. P.
Deese, L. C.
Dougherty, John J.
Fowler, Albert C.
Gilstrop, Owen R.
Halliwell, Edwin H.
Lathrop, Alvord F.
Mascot, Dixie the dog
McDonald, William B.
Nesbitt, Earl J.
Shields, Charles G.
Stoop, James H.
| Company 5436 was organized at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia,
on May 12, 1936. After conditioning at this station for a period of thirteen
days, it was transferred to Bassett, Virginia, where work began in Fairy
Stone State Park. The company was comprised of men from Georgia, with Capt.
Clarence R. Trotter, Inf.-Res., Commanding, and 1st. Lieut. Edwin B. Cooper,
Inf.-Res., Company Officer.
Upon arrival at Bassett, Virginia, the 5436th Company found conditions very favorable. Having succeeded a Third Corps Area Company, made it possible to begin work on the camp project immediately, as the camp buildings and other necessities were already constructed.
In July, 1936, 1st Lieut. Edwin B. Cooper, Inf.-Res., was relieved by 2nd Lieut. Marion B. Adams as Company Officer.
The work project at Fairy Stone Park was very extensive. Roads were built and graveled and trails were cut through all parts of the park. Chief among the works accomplished by the men was the beautification of the lake. A beach was built that can be truly called the outstanding achievement of the 5436th Company. This beach was supplemented by bath houses, concession buildings, log cabins, and many other minor works that adds to the beauty of a recreation center.
On January 1, 1937, Captain Clarence R. Trotter, Inf.,-Res., was transferred and Capt. Hubert T. Andrews assumed command.
An unusual accident occurred to Enrollee Bryson while on the job. He was driving down Bassett Hill, one of the deepest inclines of Virginia, when the brakes on his truck gave way. In order to avoid the endangering his fellow workmen, he risked his own life by intentionally driving his truck into a bank. He was in no way not deserving of the award of valor that was placed on him for the heroism and thoughtful action he exhibited.
On March 1, 1937, 1st Lieut. Earl J. Nesbitt, Inf.-Res., took command of Company 5436, relieving Capt. Hubert T. Andrews.
In July 1937, company strength of the 5436th Company was increased by thirty-three men, who had served in the Third Corps Area.
The latter part of September, 1937, found members of Company 5436 preparing to embark for new fields. Optional orders were received that the men had to be transferred to the Corps Area of their origin or be moved to the Ninth Corps Area. Fifty-eight men elected to make the trip west, while the others were sent to various camps.
In July, 1937, 2nd Lieut. Edwin H. Halliwell, Eng.-Res., from Mississippi, relieved 2nd Lieut. Marion D. Adams as Company Officer.
On October 1, 1937, the 5436th Company was increased by seven Mississippians from Company 2347, Rocky Mount, Va. who were to make the trip west.
On October 6, 1937, at about 3:45 p.m, sixty five remaining members of Company 5436, with Lieutenant Nesbitt and Lieutenant Halliwell, board a train for the trip to the west coast. Absent from their ranks was Mr. Stewart W. Umbarger, Educational Adviser, who was to continue work in a veterans, camp, successor to Company 5436 at Fairy Stone State Park.
After six days of intensive travel, filled with excitement and thrills gained from the adventure and scenery, Company 5436 arrived at Marshfield, Oregon, on October 12, 1937. There it was met by Lieut. Dickson C. Hipps, who had been designated to aid the company for a short period.
Many interesting sights were observed by the men on the trip west. In addition to the large cities that were passed through, Mother Nature contributed toward making the trip a pleasure. First there were the corn fields of the North Central States. Then at St. Louis many gazed on the mighty Mississippi River for the first time. Second, the plains of Kansas, Nebraska, and Colorado, where wheat and sugar beets predominate. Third, were the mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Truly this was interesting, but to the members of Company 5436 gazing on that vast body of water, the Pacific Ocean, for the initial time can be remembered as the most thrilling incident of their lives.
After a few days of repairing about Coos Head Camp, present home of Company 5436, the men were turned over to the using agency.
The project work at Coos Head Camp consists of road building and clearing, landscaping construction of parking spaces, and the improvement of trails.
On November 1, 1937, one hundred and four new men arrived at Camp
Coos Head. These men hailed from the State of Florida. This addition brought
the company strength to 169.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids