(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
|Ausbura, John H.
Busch, Ralph O.
Church, Verne V.
Clark, J. B.
Dawsey, James W.
Keeler, Oran D.
Opstedal, Joseph A.
Perry, John Jr.
Potter, Lawrence N.
Robinson, Charles B.
Schmidt, George C.
Sherk, Thomas W.
Stringer, C. B.
Varnes, Ellis M.
| It was on the morning of May 10, 1936, that the advanced
cadre, which was to later form Company 5443, received the call to Fort
Oglethorpe, Gas. Where they met a group of rookies enrolled from Florida
and Georgia. Here the rookies were inoculated and conditioned for service.
On the 12th day of may, Capt. Charles B. Robinson, Inf.-Res., reported for duty at Fort Oglethorpe, Gs., formerly on duty in Louisiana, and assumed command of Company 5443, also 1st Lieut. A. J. Bird, Jr., AC-Res., who remained second in command for the first six months. Relieved by 1st Lieut. John Perry, Jr., Inf.-Res, an electrical engineer, who assumed duty October 28, 1936.
The 5443rd Company left Fort Oglethorpe at five P.M. May 25, 1936, en route for Big Stone Gap, Virginia, and arrived at five 0’clock A.M. on May 26, 1936. It was a cold and untempered morning, or so thought the rookies. The company was one of the few Fourth Corps Area groups to come to the Third Corps Area at that early date.
The company arrived at Camp John Fox, Jr., an old camp somewhat dilapidated, hungry after the long houses on the train passing through the mountains of Tennessee and Virginia. Camp John Fox Jr. was named in honor of John Fox, Jr. who lived in Big Stone Gap, Virginia at the time of his death in 1919, the author of many mountain stories, such as the “Trail of the Lonesome Pine,” etc.
The company while in Big Stone Gap repaired the camp until it was an outstanding company in Third Corps Area. Work on the projects consisted mainly of road building, located on private land.
The company departed from Big Stone Gap, Virginia, for Marshfield, Oregon on October 8, 1937, travelling over some of the most scenic country in the U. S. A. The company arrived in Marshfield about 7:00 P. M. October 14, 1937, where it was met by Mr. V. V. Church, Project Superintendent, and truck drivers of Company 2523, who were at that time occupying Camp China Flats. All company fund property was moved from the railhead during the night. The entire company arrived in camp about 1:00 A. M.
Work began on the project after about two days of “straightening out”.
The present staff of Company 5443 as follows: Captain Robinson,
Commanding; Capt. Earl V. Andren, Med.-Res., Camp Surgeon; Lieutenant Perry,
Junior Officer; Mr. Schmidt, Educational Adviser; Mr. Church, Project Superintendent;
Mr. Barklow, Foreman; Clay Ramsey, Locator; L. N. Potter, Mechanic; Stephen
Mann, Blacksmith; Schildmeyer, Keeler, Frier, Semi-skilled workmen.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description