- Born: 3 Dec 1734, Providence RI
- Marriage (1): Mary Kinnicutt on 29 Jun 1760 in Providence RI
- Marriage (2): Amy Kinnicutt on 9 Feb 1772 in Providence RI
- Died: 15 Aug 1804, Providence RI
Events in his life were:
- Alternate Mark
tentative attribution; found on the case of a watch made by John Cairns, whose shop was next door to Pitman's.
- He worked from circa 1755 to 1792 as a silversmith in Providence RI with shop at North corner of Main and Otis Streets until 1770. 3
- Made freeman of Providence RI, May 1760.
- Providence RI, 1773-1784: member of local Fire Company. 3
- Appointed from 1777 to 1784 as Scavenger in Providence RI 3
- He was a partner from 1795 to 1800 with Samuel Dorrance in Providence RI as PITMAN & DORRANCE. 3
- Advertised in the Providence Gazette (Providence RI), 2 Apr 1796,
PITMAN, SANDERS, Silversmith, &c. Takes this Method to acquaint his old Customers, and the Public, that he makes and sells, at his Shop, a few Doors North of the State-House, Gold and Silversmith's Ware, amongst which are the following Articles: Gold Necklaces from 7 to 10 Dollars, large and small Silver Spoons, and a Variety of the newest fashioned plated Shoe and Knee Buckles, plated Bridle Bitts in the newest Fashions, warranted to be superior for Service to any imported; also two Sets of elegant plated Mountings for Chaise, which would be sold on moderate Terms. Any Orders for plated or Brass Mountings for Chaise will be thankfully received, and executed in such a Manner as to insure Durability. Wanted, as an Apprentice to the above Business, an honest industrious Lad, about 14 Years of Age. 3
- Advertised in the Providence Gazette (Providence RI), 7 Apr 1798, offering porringers, cans and all kinds of gold and silversmith's work. Also in this and several other ads requests "an apprentice to the Gold and Silversmith's Business, an honest, industrious lad about 13 years of age, one from the county would be preferred. . . ." 3
- Creamer, c 1800
wt: 5.63 oz
- Creamer, c 1800
h: 7 1/4"
wt: 6.25 oz
- Water pitcher, c 1800
h: 9 1/8"
wt: 22 oz
Saunders married Mary Kinnicutt on 29 Jun 1760 in Providence RI. (Mary Kinnicutt was born in 1739 in Providence RI and died on 13 Jun 1770 in Providence RI.)
Saunders next married Amy Kinnicutt on 9 Feb 1772 in Providence RI. (Amy Kinnicutt was born in 1740 in Providence RI and died on 17 Oct 1817 in Providence RI.)