Daniel Van Voorhis
- Born: 30 Aug 1751, Oyster Bay NY
- Christened: 15 Sep 1751, Wolver Hollow NY
- Marriage: Mrs. Catherine Richards on 28 Feb 1775 in Brooklyn NY
- Died: 10 Jun 1824, Brooklyn NY
Events in his life were:
- He worked from 1782 to 1784 as a gold- and silversmith in Princeton NJ 4
- Beakers, c 1782-1784
One (left) unmarked. Engraved DMP.
- Advertised in the New Jersey Gazette (Princeton NJ), 1782, 4
- He was a partner from 1784 to 1785 with Simeon A. Bayley and William Coley in New York City NY as VAN VOORHIS, BAYLEY & COLEY. 4
- Advertised in the Independent Journal or General Advertiser (New York City NY), 1784-1785, firm of VAN VOORHIS, BAYLEY & COLEY, ". . . real manufacturers in gold & silver." 4
- Advertised on 27 Apr 1785 (New York City NY), dissolution of firm of VAN VOORHIS, BAYLEY, COLEY & COX. 4
- Advertised on 9 Jul 1785 (New York City NY), dissolution of firm of VAN VOORHIS, BAYLEY & COLEY. 4
- He was a partner from 1785 to 1787 with William Coley in New York City NY as VAN VOORHIS & COLEY from shop at 27 Hanover Square.
- Alternate Mark for VAN VOORHIS & COLEY
- Advertised in the New York Daily Advertiser (New York City NY), 1785, for partnership of VAN VOORHIS & COLEY, manufacturing jewelers and goldsmiths. 4
- Vermont copper penny, 1786
Produced by partnership of COLEY & VAN VOORHIS. Die cut by William Coley and minting by Van Voorhis.
- He worked from 1787 to 1788 as a mint master in Rupert VT with William Coley. 4
- Tea caddy, c 1790
Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture
One of only two known caddys that have their original keys. The other, by Revere, is in the Bell Collection of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
- Alternate Mark for VAN VOORHIS & SCHANCK.
- Covered sugar bowl by VAN VOORHEES & SCHANCK, c 1791
wt: 9.6 oz
- Presentation vase, 1795-1805
Engraved with bright-cut decoration and monogram "EE" for Elisabeth Elmendorph, possibly on the occasion of her marriage to Cornelius Ray.
- He was a partner from 1798 to 1802 with Thomas Richards in New York City NY first as VAN VOORHIS & SON, then VAN VOORHIS & RICHARDS. 4
- He was a partner in 1800 with Garret Schanck and ? McCall in New York City NY as VAN VOORHIS, SCHANCK & McCALL. 3
- Advertised in the Morning Chronicle (New York City NY), 11 Feb 1803, as a goldsmith and jeweler 4
- Appointed from 1805 to 1819 as Customhouse weigher in Brooklyn NY 4
Daniel married Mrs. Catherine Richards on 28 Feb 1775 in Brooklyn NY. (Mrs. Catherine Richards was born on 4 Jan 1758 and died in 1839.)