- Born: 31 May 1726, Southampton NY
- Marriage (1): Sarah Gelston on 29 Dec 1748 in Southampton NY
- Marriage (2): Sarah Conkling on 28 Jun 1786 in East Hampton NY
- Died: 2 Nov 1810, Southampton NY
Events in his life were:
- Apprenticed from 12 Jan 1741 to 1748 to Simeon Soumain in New York City NY 1
- He worked from 1750 to 1776 as a silversmith in Southampton NY from a shop on Main Street; shown here is a re-construction of his original building erected in 1686. 3
- Pepper pot, c 1750
Boston Museum of Fine Arts 10
h: 3 15/16" (including finial)
d: 2" (base)
wt: 4 oz, 3 dwt
- Made freeman of New York City NY, 10 Aug 1750. 15
- Porringer, c 1753
l: 7 3/8"
wt: 8 oz
Engraved 1753 and S over R * S for Richard and Sarah (Sears) Smith. Smith was one of Pelletreau's best customers and bought eight tankards in 1763.
- Tankard, c 1760-1775
h: 8 3/8"
- Appointed in 1761 as Lieutenant in the militia in Southampton NY 15
- Tankard, 1761
h: 6 7/8"
wt: 29 oz
Engraved RF for Ruth Floyd, who married Nathaniel Woodhull. An entry in Elias Pelletreau's Account Book 2, p. 34, dated February 1762, lists a tankard made for Nathaniel Woodhull, of 30 oz / 3 pt / 12 gr, with charges for the fashioning at 2/6 per ounce and "Ingraving ye Sipher" for 6 shillings. The order also included a pepper box, milk pot and teapot, among other objects. It is likely that this commission constituted Woodhull's wedding silver.
- Appointed in 1765 as Captain of militia in Southampton NY 15
- Pepper pot, 1769
h: 3 1/2"
Engraved R * W for Ruth Woodhull. The purchase by her husband is recorded in Pelletreau's account book.
- He worked from 1776 to 1780 as a silversmith in Simsbury CT
- Porringer, c 1776
d: 4 1/2 (bowl)
- Sander, c 1776-1780
d: 2 5/8"
wt: 4.65 oz
- He worked from 1780 to 1782 as a silversmith in Old Saybrook CT
- He worked from 1782 to 1810 as a silversmith in Southampton NY
- Tankard, 1791
h: 7 1/4"
wt: 35 oz.
Engraved JLG in a circular cartouche for John Lyon Gardiner. The tankard, along with other silver ordered by Gardiner, is recorded in Pelletreau's account book (see below), dated April 2, 1791, and indicates the weight as 35 oz. 7 dwt. 12 gr. A corresponding entry, dated April 22, 1791, in Gardiner's account book confirms the purchase of this tankard.
- Account book entry
East Hampton Free Library
Recording silver made for John Lyon Gardiner, including the preceeding tankard.
- Master to William Sherrill Conklin bef 3 Dec 1793 in Southampton NY.
Elias married Sarah Gelston on 29 Dec 1748 in Southampton NY. (Sarah Gelston was born on 10 Mar 1725 in Southampton NY and died on 14 Apr 1784.)
Elias next married Sarah Conkling on 28 Jun 1786 in East Hampton NY. (Sarah Conkling was born in 1735 in East Hampton NY.)