George Amasa Jones
- Born: 8 Jun 1800, Hartford CT
- Marriage: Maria Carter on 1 Oct 1833
- Died: 20 Jan 1877, Zanesville OH
Silversmith and jeweler
Events in his life were:
- He worked before 1835 as a silversmith in Albany NY
- He worked from circa 1835 to 1845 as a silversmith in Akron OH
- He worked from circa 1845 to 1858 as a silversmith in Zanesville OH
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Zanesville OH, listed as a silversmith.
- Master to David C. Pinkerton in Zanesville OH.
- He was a partner from 1859 to 1862 with Henry Kruger in Zanesville OH as G. A. JONES & Co. In 1860, the firm changed its name to JONES & KRUGER.
- He worked from circa 1863 to 1864 as a silversmith and jeweler in Zanesville OH
- He was a partner from circa 1864 to 1870 with Ralph Smith Mershon in Zanesville OH as JONES & MERSHON.
- Daily Courier, 17 Feb 1870, Zanesville OH. The legal notice, published yesterday of the dissolution of copartnership of the well-known Jewelry firm of Messrs. Jones and Mershon, and the retiring of active business of Mr. George A. Jones, the senior member of the firm, after a sucessful business career in this city extending over a period of forty years, is a circumstance worthy of note and worthy of honorable mention in the history of our city and its business men.
Mr. Jones was longer engaged in merchantile transactions in this city than any gentleman now living with a single exception, that of Mr. James Warner, who commenced business here five years prior to the time that Mr. Jones came to this city. Mr. Jones came to Ohio from Albany, New York, in 1826, and after spending a few years in Cleveland and Huron county, came to Zanesville and engaged in business in the spring of 1830, in a wooden two story building which stood on the lot now occupied by the Savings Bank of Messrs. A. H. Brown & Co.. It is a fact of note that the stock goods with which Mr. Jones commenced business was shipped to Cleveland, thence to Massillon by the Ohio Canal, which was then only completed to that place, and from thence the goods were brought by wagon to this city, then town of Zanesville. Mr. Jones occupied the wooden building we have designated until 1831, afterward refitted and remodeled the building, added a third story to it, giving the storeroom and building an exceedingly fine appearance for those days. In this room, Mr. Jones did business for more than thirty-three years. In the year 1859, he formed his first co-partnership, taking into business with him Mr. Henry Kruger, under the firm name of G. A. Jones & Co., which style was changed the following year to Jones& Kruger. This partnership was continued until the year 1862, when Mr. Kruger, having purchased the business of the late James J. Ross, Esq. retired from the firm and Mr. Jones continued in his own name. In 1864 Mr. Jones removed to the building at present occupied by the Muskingum National Bank, and formed a copartnership with Ralph S. Mershon, Esq., under the name of Jones and Mershon. This copartnership continued until the first of this month when Mr. Jones, owing to advancing years, retired from active business. Last year, the firm leased and fitted up in a rich and costly style the corner room in Odd Fellows Hall building. To this room they removed in April last, and have since continued to enlarge and increase their already extensive trade; and where R. S. Mershon, Esq. now continues the business of the late firm in his own name.
Mr. Jones, in the long life which he has spent in business, has always been known as a prompt, active, energetic business man, rigidly honest and fair in his dealings, and now retires from active life with a competence of this world's goods, and hosts of kind relatives and friends as the result of a long life of energy and business. May he live many years to come to enjoy the fruits of his toil.
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Zanesville OH, listed as a retired jeweler.
George married Maria Carter on 1 Oct 1833. (Maria Carter was born on 29 Dec 1813 in Saint Clairsville OH and died on 9 Aug 1889 in Zanesville OH.)