Edward M. Tobey
- Born: abt 1820
- Died: 8 Dec 1868, Saint Cloud, Stearns, MN
Silversmith and jeweler
Events in his life were:
- He was a partner from circa 1845 to 1854 with Benjamin Locklin Hood in Albany NY as HOOD & TOBEY, listed in Munsell's 1852 City Directory at 38 State Street.
- Advertised in the Albany Argus (Albany NY), 16 Mar 1850,
GREAT ATTRACTION AT HOOD & TOBEY'S.
This firm have just laid in, for the Winter Trade, a very large and superior quality of fine Watches, many of them made to order at the best houses in Europe; several small, for ladies; also rich Diamond Rings and Pins, Turquoise, Cameo, Stone and painting Jewelry, choise Lockets, Chains, Silver ware, etc. and during the Holidays, they will pledge themselves to sell for cash, to all who want, their most select articles, at their wholesale price, by the single piece, being a still greater inducement than ever for their patrons to purchase extensively. Hood & Tobey, in connection with several heavy manufacturers and importers, have now every advantage of the market, and bid defieance to any house in the United States to undersell them -their motto, sell off, at the lowest possible rates, and sell fast, believing that a wholesale profit on large sales, is better than retail profits on small sales. Please call and see prices and goods before paying from 25 to 50 per cent for articles at the old school combination shops. The subscribers have just laid in a very heavy assortment, all imported and manufactured on the cash principle, which enables them to offer still greater inducements than ever.
N.B. Hood & Tobey are always happy to show their goods, whether they sell or not, and should any article purchased at this establishment, not give satisfaction or answer its representation, it may be returned within 30 days of such sale. Watch and Spec glasses set at just half price. Orders taken for any kind of fine English Levers or Duplex and Chronometer Watches, cased, any weight of fineness, at 5 per cent on prime cost. Watch work done as well as in Europe, and warranted. See prices below.
Fine regulated Gold Lever Watches, from $25.00 to $100.00
Fine regulated full jewelled Silver Lever, from 10.50 to 36.00
Fine Silver Cylinder-Escapement watches 7.50 to 12.00
Duplex and Chronometer, gold and silver 30.00 to 900.00
Coin Silver Spoons, Forks, &c., silver by weight, 33 per cent on labor
Heavy Coin-silver Thimbles .20 to .38
Solid fine Silver Spectacles 1.00 to 1.50
Solid I. Burt's Periscopic Spectacles 2.00 to 10.00
Beautiful brilliant Diamond Rings. $20 per caret for the stone, by weight and cost of mounting.
Silver Tea Sets and splendid Plated Wares, including Urns, Baskets, &c. &c., equally cheap.
Gold Chain, Choice Jewelry, Sliver Cups, &c. &c.
At 44 State street -Only opposition.
- Advertised in the Albany Argus (Albany NY), 22 Jun 1850,
TO ALL LOVERS OF GOOD ARTICLES AT REAL VALUE.
We would suggest the propriety of calling on Messrs. HOOD & TOBEY, the only real opposition to the old school high price dealers in this vicinity. The proprietors, possessing many advantages both in respect to manufacturing and importing their own goods for cash, mostly for wholesale purposes, whereby a large per cent is saved in first cost, propose to sell to all who want at the wholesale price by the single piece -really a saving of from 10 to 50 per cent, to their patrons; and every article sold by the proprietors will be warranted as good as represented, that the inexperienced may purchase as safe and as cheap as the best judges. The vast increase of business, and small expenses, enables this firm to hold out such strong inducements. The proprietors would here acknowledge their success and many thanks to a liberal and discerning public, and now assure their patrons that each and every article disposed of in future by them, will be at wholesale price, with due regard to entire satisfaction, or the same may be returned.
N.B. Any article in the line not on hand, will be made to order at the wholesale rate, if exceed $10- Large orders of Coin Silver Work will be taken at 3 1/2 per cent on prime cost. Fine Watches, with 5 years warrantee, at 5 per cent. Also Diamond Jewelry, Gold Chain, &c.
Watch work done as well as in Europe, and the best Glasses set at half price. California Gold bought at value, do. Old Silver, Prescious Stones, &c.
Please take their number, 44 STATE STREET, Albany, sign of the Large Watch and Gilt Eagle.
- Advertised in the Evening Journal (Albany NY), 26 Apr 1853, for the firm of HOOD & TOBEY, announcing that they had secured the services of Visscher Mix ". . .who is well known to most of our citizens as a superior engraver, and well worthy the confidence of all."
- Advertised in the Albany Daily Knickerbocker (Albany NY), 8 Apr 1854, announcing the dissolution of HOOD & TOBEY.
- He was a partner from circa 1855 to 1860 with Samuel H. Johnson in Albany NY as JOHNSON & TOBEY, listed in Trow's 1859 directory at the rear of 17 John Street. 18
- He was a partner about 1860 with Benjamin Gurnee in New York City NY as GURNEE & TOBEY, silver spoon manufacturers with a shop listed in the 1860 city directory at 17 John Street.