- Born: 1758, Philadelphia PA
- Marriage: Esther Middleton on 12 Jan 1786 in Philadelphia PA
- Died: 1820, Philadelphia PA
Events in his life were:
- He worked from 1785 to 1816 as a silversmith in Philadelphia PA
Listed in the 1791 city directory at 130 South Front Street. 4
- Master to Samuel Williamson 1787-1792 in Philadelphia PA.
- Master to Joseph Head abt 1787 in Philadelphia PA. A free black.
- Tradecard, c 1790
American Antiquarian Society
- Advertised in the Federal Gazette, 2 Apr 1792, announcing "Joseph Lownes, Goldsmith, No. 130 South Front street, near the Drawbridge, still continues to carry on his business in all its branches; and has now made and ready for sale, Silver Coffee Pots, Tea do., Sugar Basons, Slop bowls, Tankards, Canns, Caddys, Milk pots, Soupe ladles, Table spoons, Tea do., Shoe and knee buckles, also a variety of jewellery & & &."
- Cup, c 1795
d: 4 1/2" (at lip)
- Advertised in the Pennsylvannia Packet (Philadelphia PA), 18 Dec 1798, offering plate, silver plate, and imported tea urns. 4
- Caddy spoon, c 1800
w: 1 1/2"
wt: 6.5 dwt
- Teapot, c 1800
w: 5 1/4" (of body)
wt: 24 oz, 18.9 dwt
- Creamer, c 1810
- Soup tureen, c 1810
Private Collection 20
w: 16 3/4" (across handles)
wt: 135 ozs, 10 dwt
Part of a nine piece suite of serving dishes commisioned by Secretary of the Navy Benjamin Crowninshield and engraved with his monogram.
- Tankard, c 1810
h: 5 3/8"
d: 3 3/4"
wt: 18 oz, 16.8 dwt
- He was a partner in 1816 with Henry Erwin in Philadelphia PA as LOWNES & ERWIN with a shop at 191 South Street. 4
- He was a partner from 1816 to 1820 with Josiah Hewes Lownes in Philadelphia PA as J. & J. H. LOWNES 4
Joseph married Esther Middleton on 12 Jan 1786 in Philadelphia PA. (Esther Middleton was born on 27 Feb 1763 in Chesterfield NJ and died in 1799.)