Henry Gooding Reed
- Born: 23 Jul 1810, Taunton MA
- Marriage (1): Clarissa White on 5 Jan 1842 in Taunton MA
- Marriage (2): Delight Read Carpenter after Aug 1850 in Taunton MA
- Died: 1901
Pewtersmith and silverplater
Events in his life were:
- Apprenticed to BABBITT & CROSSMAN, c 1829.
- He worked from circa 1830 to 1831 as a pewtersmith in Taunton MA for BABBITT & CROSSMAN, then CROSSMAN, WEST & LEONARD.
- He worked from circa 1831 to 1835 as a pewtersmith in Taunton MA for TAUNTON BRITANNIA MANUFACTURING Co. as a spinner, producing holloware blanks for plating. 12
- He was a partner from circa 1835 to 1837 with Charles E. Barton in Taunton MA as REED & BARTON.
- Teapot, c 1840
- He was a partner from 1845 to 1867 with Charles E. Barton in Taunton MA as REED & BARTON. At Barton's death in 1867, Reed reformed the company with Henry Fish and George Babrook as partners. 4
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Taunton MA, listed as a britannia manufacturer.
- He was issued design patent number 3,302 on 29 Dec 1868
HENRY G. REED, OF TAUNTON, MASSACHUSETTS, ASSIGNOR TO
REED AND BARTON, OF SAME PLACE.
Design No. 3,302, dated December 29, 1868.
DESIGN FOR A SPOON OR FORK-HANDLE.
To all persons to whom these presents may come:
Be it known that I, HENRY G. REED, of Taunton, in the county of Bristol, and State of Massachusetts, have invented or produced a new and ornamental Design for a Handle for a Spoon, Fork, or other article of plated or silver-ware; and I do hereby declare the same to he fully described in the following specification, and represented in the accompanying drawings, of which
Figure 1 is a front view, and
Figure 2, an edge view of such handle.
At its top, the handle is formed with a shield, a, containing the helmeted head, &, of a warrior, in bas-relief. From this a bead, b', extends along each of the edges of the handle, and terminates in a volute, c. Between the volutes and the shield is a smaller shield, d, containing a radiated rosette, e, formed as represented.
I claim, as my invention or production
The design, substantially as above explained, and as represented in the accompanying drawings.
H. G. Reed
C. P. Harris
William W. Swan
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Taunton MA, listed as a manufacturer of silver plate manufacturer.
- Trade card, c 1880
For REED & BARTON.
- He appeared on the 1880 census taken at Taunton MA, listed as a manufacturer of silverplated wares.
Henry married Clarissa White on 5 Jan 1842 in Taunton MA. (Clarissa White was born on 8 Aug 1812 in Mansfield MA and died on 27 Sep 1847 in Taunton MA.)
Henry next married Delight Read Carpenter after Aug 1850 in Taunton MA. (Delight Read Carpenter was born on 4 Dec 1828 in Rehoboth MA and died on 17 May 1894.)