60. John Chevers (Christopher Chevers , John Chevers , Christopher Chevers , Sir Walter Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Gautier "Walter" Chevers , William Chevyr , John Chever , Heyn Chevyr , William Chevyr , Sir Nicholas "Milo" Chevre , William Chever , Gosfred Chever , William "Guillame" , Roger ) was born in 1616 in Macetown, County Meath, Ireland. He died in 1688. John was employed as Of Macetown, dispossessed by~~Cromwell 1656.
Following the restoration of Charles II to the throne, Thomas's uncle in Ireland, John Chevers, Chief of the Name, applied for and was eventually restored to some of the Chevers land, most particularly, the land at Killyan.31 Thomas made no effort to return to Ireland. He must have been satisfied with his lot in the New World he was helping to construct
Of Macetown,dispossessed by Cromwell,
Petitioned Charles II at restoration
Grant in Barony of Killyan,County.Galway 1667
dau.of Sir Henry Bealings of Killesk co.Kildare
John and Mary had the following children:
+ 76 M i Andrew Chevers + 77 M ii John Chevers "Killyan Castle Ireland" 78 M iii Richard Cheevers.
A daughter of Edward Sutton married John, the eldest son of Sir Christopher Chevers, of Macetown, county Meath, by whom she had issue, Edward Chevers the eldest son, who was created Viscount Mount Leinster by James the Second before the meeting of his Parliament in 1689 in Dublin. This John Chevers was transplanted to Connaught by Cromwell
John and Joan had the following children:
79 M iv Edward Cheevers "Viscount Mount Leinster & Baron Bano" died in 1709. He was related to his parents by adoption.
Baron Bannow,23 Aug 1689. Brother-in-Law of Patrick
Sarsfield,Earl of Lucan, the celebrated general. He d.s.p.
ADC to Jamers 11,Battle of Boyne,cr.Viscount Mt.Leinster
Edward Cheevers, whose father John died in 1688, was an officer in the army of James II, was present at the Battle of the Boyne, and was created by him Viscount Mount Leinster and Baron Bano in 1689.Lord Mount Leinster (Edward Cheevers) was offered amnesty by the English government, provided he took the oath of allegiance to William III. This he declined to do and adhered to the dethroned James II and died abroad in 1709, without male issue. Consequently, the title lapsed. The result of his refusal was that he was attainted and his estate of Macetown seized, as were those of other branches of the family in Louth, Wexford, Drogheda and Meath ; three of his relatives were also officers in the army of James II. After much litigation, the brother of Edward Cheevers, John, succeeded in preserving the estate of Killyan, in Galway, which had been allotted to the family in previous years.
Edward married Anne Sarsfield daughter of Patrick Sarsfield and Anne O'More.
67. Walter Chevers Sr. Esq.(Hd of Cadet Branch of Chevers) (Henry Chevers , John Chevers , Christopher Chevers , Sir Walter Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Gautier "Walter" Chevers , William Chevyr , John Chever , Heyn Chevyr , William Chevyr , Sir Nicholas "Milo" Chevre , William Chever , Gosfred Chever , William "Guillame" , Roger ) was born in 1605 in Monkstown, Ireland. He died on 20 Dec 1678 in Monkstown Castle, Dublin, Ire. The cause of death was Roman Catholic.
Monkstown, co Dublin, Ireland
The castle at Monkstown was originally built around the 12th or 13th century by the monks of the Abbey of the Blessed Virgin Mary, near Dublin. In 1640, upon the death of his father, Monkstown passed to Walter Cheevers. Walter was not favoured by the government and his lands being of such strategic importance was ordered to vacate his home. The castle was acquired by Lt-Gen Edmund Ludlow, Commander of the Horse in Ireland. The castle and grounds were greatly improved by William but he preferred London and tried to sell his stock. Before it was sold however it was seized by the Army for the Crown. Walter Cheevers was restored to his estates at Monkstown in November 1660.
In the latter part of the 17th century the Castle and lands came into the possession of the Most Rev Michael Boyle, who held, in addition to the See of Armagh, the Chancellorship of Ireland, a combination of ecclesiastical and legal offices common in earlier times, but last permitted in his case, and the ownership of the soil still remains in possession of his descendants, now represented by Lords Longford and De Vesci.
A description of the Castle 100 years later shows that it must have been modernised and enlarged after Ludlow's time. These improvements were probably effected by Archbishop Boyle's eldest son, Viscount Blessington, whose son, the second and last Viscount Blessington, and son-in-law, Viscount Mountjoy, subsequently held the lands. Cheevers' death took place in 1678, and the marriage of a connection of Lord Blessington's in 1686, at Monkstown, indicates that the Castle was then one of his residences
The Christian Brother's College at Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin is situated on the grounds of an 18th. Century Gentleman's residence, Monkstown Park. The village of Monkstown has a long history. In the year 1174, King Henry II granted the lands of Carrickbrennan to the Cistercian monks of St. Mary's Abbey in the city of Dublin. These lands has previously belonged to the Irish monks of St. Mochana who, to escape Viking attack, were said to have fled by boat from Skerries in the north of Dublin, to the fort of King Laoghaire (Dun Laoghaire) in the south. These Monks then followed a little stream to the higher ground of Carrickbrennan, now the grounds of the ancient graveyard (adjoining the school grounds).
In the middle of the 13th. Century the Monks were forced to build a castle to defend themselves against the raids of the Irish O'Byrne and O'Toole Hill Clans. Monkstown Castle was originally a large fortress, surrounded by a high wall, enclosing about 5 acres of land. During attacks the tenants would gather inside the walls for protection. The raids of the Wicklow Clans grew increasingly more frequent and the Monks had to buy them off with "Black Rent" or protection money. Despite this the Monks established their farm and fisheries and supplied their city centre monastery with fresh produce from the Carrickbrennan lands.
The name of Monkstown is first mentioned in 1450 A. D. when it was noted that the tenants of the Cistercians at Carrickbrennan had founded a little village, Villa Monachorum, or Monkstown. This village lay on the route between the main port for England at Bullock Harbour and Dublin City itself.
In 1539 A.D. King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and the Monkstown lands were awarded to Sir John Travers, Master of the Ordnance in Ireland. The village consisted of 4 houses and 13 cottages. Travers lived in his castle at Monkstown from 1557 to his death in 1562. He was buried in Carrickbrennan graveyard. The estate was inherited by James Eustace, 3rd. Viscount Baltinglass, through his marriage to Mary Travers. Baltinglass was a rebel and a staunch Catholic. Monkstown castle became a meeting place for conspirators against the Crown and Baltinglass threw in his lot with the Earl of Desmond in his rebellion of 1580. The rebellion was defeated and Baltinglass was forced to flee to Spain where he died a broken man in 1585.
Monkstown was then awarded to Sir Henry Wallop, the Vice Treasurer of Ireland, best known for his introduction of the Rack (as an instrument of torture) to Ireland. Wallop did not last long at Monkstown and the lands were returned to Mary, widow of Baltinglass, who then married Gerald Aylmer, who campaigned for the Catholic cause until his death in 1634.
The Castle then became the property of the Cheevers family, though the marriage of Mary Travers' sister Katherine, to a Cheevers. During Cromwell's reign, Walter Cheevers was exiled to Connaught, the poorest and most western of the four Irish provinces, but was restored to his lands on the restoration of Charles II to the Monarchy in 1660. He died in 1678.
The estate was broken up in the 18th. Century and Monkstown purchased by the then Protestant Bishop of Armagh, Michael Boyle. His son, Viscount Blessington enlarged and modernised the Castle until it became considered the second best residence in south Dublin, containing a chapel, library and saloon, surrounded by glasshouses, ferneries and even an icehouse. From about 1780 the Castle began to fall into decay and is today in ruins. The daughters of Viscount Blessington married into the De Vesci and Pakenham families and the ground rents of the Monkstown area are to this day owed to them.
So on December 16, 1653, Walter Cheevers was ordered to proceed to Connaught with his family and descendants and was required to supply the English authorities with a statement of his goods and a description of all who were to accompany him. This document reads as follows: ‘Walter Cheevers, of sanguine complexion, brown haire, and indifferent statue; his wife Alison Netterville...otherwise Cheevers, with five children, the eldest not above seven years old; four women servants and seven menservants..."18
This history is divided into three parts - housing, religion, and fear. There was fear of Viking, English, French invaders, fear of local Irish maurauders, even fear of body snatchers.
The original name for the place is Carrickbrennan, and the name has been revived in Carrickbrennan Road and Carrickbrennan Lawn, where this author lives. 'Carrick' is the anglecisation of the Gaelic word for a rock. 'Brennan' is derived from Broen, King of Leinster about 1052.
The monks of Monkstown were Cistercians who built Monkstown Castle (left) in the 13th century. The area of their farmlands still bears the name Monkstown farm. The castle and its lands passed through many hands through the years
The census of 1659 records a population of 64 in Monkstown. On Rocques map of 1756 there is only a rough pathway through Monkstown. At the end of the Monkstown creek (now culverted under Packenham Road) is Dunleary harbour, and a coffee house, approximately where the Purty Kitchen is now. The present town of Dunlaoire, with its magnificent harbour does not exist. The main road to Dalkey, Killiney, etc., and to Bulloch harbour is through Kill o' the Grange, bypassing Monkstown entirely. The Taylor and Skinner map of 1772 shows a more clearly defined road.
In the first decade of the 1800's there was a great but unfounded fear that Napoleon would invade Dublin. A series of 22 defences, known as Martello towers were built around Dublin bay. The Monkstown tower(left), at Seapoint, is marred by the abutment of a hideous bathing shelter. No guns were ever mounted, however - and Napoleon never invaded
They had the following children:
80 M i Walter Cheevers Jr was born in 1635 in Monkstown, Ireland. He died in 1678 in Va.
CHILDREN OF HENRY CHEVERS AND CATHERINE FITZWILLIAM:
1. Walter Chevers d. 20 December 1678
Married: Alison, 3rd daughter of 1st Viscount Netterville.
Children: Six, of whom one, Henry, died an infant and only one, Maria, survived him. In 1678 Maria married John Byrne of Cabinteely, of the distinguished Irish family of O'Byrne, descended from Dumhlan Dubhcluasach, younger brother of Donal na Scath. John and Maria's marriage is recorded in Dublin as occurring or being licensed in Dublin 23 June 1678. Catherine married 1) Harry Barnwall of Kingsland, and 2) Nicholas Harrold. Walter's son Nicholas died of hydrophobia, his son John drowned, and his eldest son, Walter left Bristol for Virginia in August 1661, apprenticed to Richard Homewood, a neighbor to his uncle Thomas, apparently dying prior to 1678 when his sister stood as sole heir to their father
Walter’s oldest son, Walter Chevers, Jr., set sail for the New World apprenticed to one Richard Homewood “[1 August 1661]
The following apprenticed in Bristol: … Walter Chivers to Richard Homead, 4 years Virginia.” The Homewoods were neighbors to Thomas Chevers in Surry County, and to his son Thomas in Maryland.
81 M ii Henrie Cheevers was christened on 20 Jun 1639 in Dublin, Dublin County, Ireland. Henrie married Elizabeth Alexander in 1685 in Quaker Marriages, Hampshire, Va. + 82 F iii Maria Chevers 83 F iv Catherine Cheevers. Catherine married (1) Harry Barnwall. Catherine married (2) Nicholas Harrold. 84 M v Nicholas Cheevers. 85 M vi John Cheevers "Son and Successor of the First Settler of Connaught".
FILE - Main Papers - ref. HL/PO/JO/10/6/353 - date: 24 Mar 1726 - 23 Apr 1726
Apr 6 - Chevers v Chevers. a. Petition and Appeal of Andrew Chevers and Hyacinth Chevers, his son. (In Large Parchments).
b. Answer of John Chevers et al, 7 February 1726-1727. (In Parchment Main Papers).
c. Petition of John Chevers et al, 21 April 1727.
John married Ellis.
68. Thomas Chevers "The Imigrant" "Chirurgeon-Surgeon" (Henry Chevers , John Chevers , Christopher Chevers , Sir Walter Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Gautier "Walter" Chevers , William Chevyr , John Chever , Heyn Chevyr , William Chevyr , Sir Nicholas "Milo" Chevre , William Chever , Gosfred Chever , William "Guillame" , Roger ) was born in 1607 in Monkstown, Dublin, Ire. He died on 7 Feb 1663/1664 in Surry County, Va.
The Chevers family of Ireland found 1653 and 1654 quite unsettling. Thomas Chevers was the second son of a second son : his parents were Henry Chevers and Catherine FitzWilliam of Monkstown Castle, county Dublin. Henry and Catherine had three sons and one daughter: Walter, who married Allison Netterville, the daughter of Viscount Netterville, Thomas, Patrick who died young and unmarried and Margaret, who died young and unmarried. His brother, Walter, as head of the cadet branch of the Chevers family, suffered displacement at the hands of Cromwell’s crew:
"So on December 16, 1653, Walter Cheevers was ordered to proceed to Connaught with his family and descendants and was required to supply the English authorities with a statement of his goods and a description of all who were to accompany him. This document reads as follows: ‘Walter Cheevers, of sanguine complexion, brown haire, and indifferent statue; his wife Alison Netterville...otherwise Cheevers, with five children, the eldest not above seven years old; four women servants and seven menservants..."
It may be presumed that Thomas set out with a similar equipage, if not retinue. He preceded his brother into exile only by days. He never returned to Monkstown Castle, his birthplace, nor to Ireland at all.
There are indications that Thomas had held land near the old Wexford property in the Barony of Bargy, Ireland. There is record of "Forfeiting Proprietors, In Ireland, Under the Cromwellian Settlement - Commencing A. D. 1657," which finalizes the acts of Cromwell.
On the 20th of May, 1659, less than a year before Charles II return to England, and while negotiations for the return were being promoted, Thomas Chevers purchased some 1100 acres of land from one Ralph Creed. It is the purchase of this land that presents us with Thomas Chevers, planter and practitioner of husbandry:
"For and in consideration of two good Young Cowes to be such as shall be chosen by me Ralph Creed out of ye whole stocke of Tho: Chiffers his cattle upon demand as also for ye payment of ffower Thousand pounds of good Tobacco and Corke payable 10th of October next and foure thousand pounds more of like tobacco and Corke to be paid the 20th day of October thence next comeing which shall be in ye year 1660 I the said Ralph Creed have bargained and sold unto Tho: Chiffers. His heires and successors for ever Eleven hundred and odd Acres of Land At ye head of Sunken Marsh neare upper Chippoakes in Surry County which was lately in ye Occupation off Richard Hill and sould unto mee [sic] the said Ralph Creed by Geo: Jordan by order of Court and alsoe by ordr of ye Grand Assembly...to be held by ye said Tho: Chivers...ye sd Ralph Creed Doe further ingoiyn my Selfe to Deliver unto ye sd Tho: Chivers or his assigns A pattent for ye said Tract of land in his and there owne names upon reasonable demand And a witnesse of ye truth hereof as also to binde me...to ye true and faithful performance hereof I the said Ralph Creed for my Selfe and them have hereunto Sett my hand and seale ye 20th of May 1659. Sealed Signed and Delvd in ye psence of Ralph Creed his black wax marke R Tho: fflood Christ CL Lewis, Acknowledged in Court by Ralph Creed et uxor."
We know also that Thomas became active in local affairs: he served on a Grand Jury in neighboring Isle of Wight County, where he may have had land, in June 1658:
We the Subscribers to this Verdict being impannalled as a Jury by Order of the Isle of Wight Court dated the 9th June 1658 in a difference between Major Nicholas Hill Plt and John Snellock Deft to see the Patent for Land which Major Hill bought of Col. Bernard wholy Surveyed, Have in Obedience to the sd Order wth much Care and Pains observed the Surveyor to perfect and compleat the same according to Patent to ye utmost of our Knowledge & Judgments and to Satisfy that the Surveyor Thomas Woodward following the Head Line of the Mile upon the Land on James River formerly belonging to Mr. Justinian Cooper came ypon John Snelllock?s Land wthin two Chains or thereabout of ye Northernmost Branch of Pagan Creek which part the sd Snellock?s Land and Edward Prince and so along the said Branch as it runs upwards towards Mr. Charles Barocrofts to a Corner Tree of the said Coopers and from thence along ye Swamp to ye marked Tree of Ely and Pantios and to the Mill Dam and so down the Swamp to ye head of Lawnes Creek and so along the Land of Robert Lawrence to ye said Lawrences corner marked Tree joyining upon Coopers Line ye Computation of the whole patent of Col. Bernard?s Land according to Mr. Thomas Woodwards Report to Us being Nine Hundred Acres including therein all the Housing & Land as abovesd that the said John Snellock now lives upon which we do find to belong to the said Major Hill according to the Survey made by Us and Mr. Woodward. AS WITNESS our hands this 28th day of July 1658.
Thomas [TL] Lewis Thomas Taberer
St. Mount Wells Robert [R:B] Bird
Edward [E:P] Pryme Francis [FI] Ingland
Peter Bedford Charles Barecroft
Thos: [T: C:] Chivers Edmond Wichins
Robert Kea Edward Bichenoe
Examined & truly Transcribed
Tste Jas: Baker, ClCur30
*** Document needed ****
20th of May, 1659 - Purchase 1100 Acres from Ralph Creed in Surry County, Va
*** Document needed ****
Thomas Griffen Sr John Griffen M-90; 12-15-1806 100 acres on Negro Head Creek granted to Thos. Chevers 24 Oct 1786; another tract granted to Henry Marshall 10 Aug 1789; adj Thomas Griffen; wit Jacob Little, Obadiah Curlee
Reference Books on Chevers
Chevers 1659 Census of Ireland surname extract
Chevers Irish Names and Surnames by Woulfe (IGF edition)
Chevers The Book of Irish Families great & small
Chevers The Families of Co. Limerick Ireland
Chevers The Irish Book of Arms (1st edition)
Chevers Irish Book of Arms (2nd ed.)
Cheevers 1659 Census of Ireland surname extract
Cheevers County Wexford Genealogy & Family History
Cheevers Irish Book of Arms (2nd ed.)
Cheevers Irish Names and Surnames by Woulfe (IGF edition)
Cheevers King James Irish Army List
Cheevers The Book of Irish Families great & small
Cheevers The Families of Co. Dublin Ireland
Cheevers The Families of Co. Galway Ireland
Cheevers H. The Families of Co. Dublin Ireland
Thomas Montgomery's insert and above..
The journey had been “authorized” under the Cromwellian regulations as early as the preceding November. On the 26th of November 1653, Captain Whittey had received a warrant for the RICHARD AND BENJAMIN to proceed with passengers for Virginia.3 The length of time between warrant and departure was not unusual for Captain Whittey. The following year saw a nearly identical timetable when Whittey, then master of the FREEMAN received a warrant for passage to Virginia on November 24, 1654, arriving at the James River in Virginia on January 26, 1654/55. He remained in Virginia on that voyage at least until 30 May 1655.4
The confiscations of Cromwell had stripped most Anglo-Irish of their lands and titles.19 There are indications that Thomas had held land near the old Wexford property in the Barony of Bargy, Ireland. There is record20 of “Forfeiting Proprietors, In Ireland, Under the Cromwellian Settlement – Commencing A. D. 1657,” which finalizes the acts of Cromwell, and which includes the following members of the Chevers family [under the alternate spelling, Cheevers]: Barony of Forth: John Cheevers, George Cheevers, Esq. [also listed as George Cheevers] ; John Cheevers; Marcus Cheevers, Esq. [also listed as Marcus Cheevers]; Richard Cheevers. Barony of Bargy: John Cheevers, Esq. [also John Cheevers], Maystowne, George Cheevers, Esq. [also George Cheevers] , Thomas Cheevers, Arthur Cheevers. This listing also includes several members of the Whitty family, including Nicholas Whitty, Richard Whitty, Esq., and Richard Whitty, the Younger.
There is indication that Thomas maintained correspondence with his brother, Walter. It appears from the record that Walter’s oldest son, Walter Chevers, Jr., set sail for the New World apprenticed to one Richard Homewood “[1 August 1661] The following apprenticed in Bristol: … Walter Chivers to Richard Homead, 4 years Virginia.”24 The Homewoods were neighbors to Thomas Chevers in Surry County25, and to his son Thomas in Maryland26.
They had the following children:
+ 86 M i Thomas "Chevers" Shivers "The Younger" - Maryland 87 F ii Petronella Chevers was born in 1645 in Monkstown, Ireland. She died in Oct 1681. She had other parents.
Courtesy of Thomas Montgomery and Don Palsgaard:
*** Need Document ***
It is interesting to note that Petronella Shivers was transported to Maryland by a man who later sold the land he obtained to one of Petronella’s great-nephew’s father in law. We do not know the exact date of Petronella’s arrival, but she was certainly there when Edward Dorsey claimed land for her transportation and that of others:
"Edward Dorsey demands land for transporting
"May Vijth MDCSixvij (May 7, 1667)
Peternell has documented contact with the Quakers of Calvert County, and John likely also joined the Society of Friends in Maryland. Fox's preaching and that of many other Quakers were making a considerable stir in the area
+ 88 F iii Elizabeth Chevers + 89 M iv John Chevers "New Jersey" (1) + 90 M v William Chevers "Georgia-Carolina"
71. Simon Luttrell "Irish Parlament 1643" (Eleanor "Elinor" Chevers , John Chevers , Christopher Chevers , Sir Walter Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Gautier "Walter" Chevers , William Chevyr , John Chever , Heyn Chevyr , William Chevyr , Sir Nicholas "Milo" Chevre , William Chever , Gosfred Chever , William "Guillame" , Roger ) was born in 1600. He died in 1650 in Luttrellstown, Ireland.
Troublous times fell to the lot of his eldest son, Simon Luttrell, who succeeded him, and who lived to see Ireland under the rule of the Parliament. He was thirty-four years of age when his father died, and had maintained the traditions of his family by his marriage to Mary, daughter of Jenico, fifth Viscount Gormanston, the widow of one of the Luttrell's near neighbours, Sir Thomas Allen of St. Wolstan's.
They had the following children:
75. John Locke (Katherine Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Christopher Chevers , Sir Walter Chevers , Nicholas Chevers , Gautier "Walter" Chevers , William Chevyr , John Chever , Heyn Chevyr , William Chevyr , Sir Nicholas "Milo" Chevre , William Chever , Gosfred Chever , William "Guillame" , Roger ) died in 1684.
They had the following children: