Otago Daily Times, January 13th, 1880 See below for passenger list.
ARRIVAL OF THE MARGARET GALBRAITH
Shortly after 6pm on Sunday, January 11th, a signal was made from the Pilot Station at
Otago Heads to the effect that the ship Margaret Galbraith was standing in for the
entrance. The tug Koputai proceeded down the harbour at 10.30pm and brought the
vessel into port at 2a.m. on the 12th January, anchoring her off Mansford Bay. The
Margaret Galbraith is an old trader to this port, having been built at Port Glasgow in
1868 for the Albion Shipping Company, from whose hands she passed in 1876, and
was then purchased by Messrs Shaw, Savill and Co., under whose flag she now sails,
our old friend Captain John Ferguson being still in command - Mr Mclntosh being Chief
and Mr Potter being Second Officer. She brings a quantity of general cargo and 140
passengers, under the medical supervision of Dr. Stockwell who reports the general
health of the passengers to have been good throughout the voyage, only one death, that
of a child from stomatitis and diarrhoea having occurred. This has been counter balanced
by two births. The good ship comes into port in excellent order, and has made a capital
run out, her passage from London docks to Port Chalmers having occupied 87 days,
and from land to land 77 days. Captain Ferguson reports the passage to have been
entirely a fine weather one, and states that after he took up the north-east trades he had
never taken the fore and main topgallant sails off the ship. No vessels were spoken to
during the passage nor was any ice or wreckage observed. She passed the Crozet group
on December 22nd, but not near enough to observe whether any persons were on the
islands. Captain Ferguson wished to get closer in to them, but was prevented by the
weather coming on thick, which rendered it prudent for him to give them a wide berth,
however anxious he might have been to ascertain if any castaways were there. The ship
left the East India docks on October 16th 1879, and anchored in the Downs on the next
day, on the 19th she encountered a very heavy westerly gale, which she beat under her
lower fore and main topsails, strong head winds were encountered all down the Channel,
and it was not until October 26th that she cleared the land. taking her departure from the
Lizards, with a strong S.W. Breeze which hauled round to S.E. With dark rainy weather.
The island of Palma was sighted at noon on November 4th and there she lay becalmed
for two days, encountering on November 6th a heavy gale of wind from the S.S.W.
Attended by terrific squalls, the ship being under her lower main topsail. During the height
of the gale the starboard lifeboat was carried away clean out of the davits. After the weather
moderated she had light S.W. Winds and calms until November 10th, when the first of the
north-east trades was taken in latitude 23N, the trades proved light, and died away in latitude
6N, they were followed by a short spell of doldrum weather, and at noon on November 18th
the south east trades were picked up in latitude 3N, the equator being crossed on the next
day in longitude 29W, 34 days out, the trades proved very light and were attended by fine
weather, and in latitude 24S hauled round to the N.E., continuing in that quarter until she
reached 80S. She passed and sighted Gough Island on December 9th, and crossed the
Meridian of Greenwich on the next day in latitude 42S 65 days out, rounding the Cape of
Good Hope on December 15th in latitude 43S, passed and sighted the Crozet group on
December 22nd, and thence experienced fresh westerlies across the Southern Ocean,
crossing the meridian of Cape Louwin on December 31 st, still carrying favourable winds.
She made the coast of New Zealand on January 8th, and on that day encountered a very
heavy northerly gale, which continued until she rounded the Snares on the following day,
experienced light winds along the coast, and arrived at Otago Heads on the 11th January.
SOURCE; OTAGO DAILY TIMES, JANUARY 13th 1880.
Messrs. Kelsey, Turpin, Low
Sarah Agnes Halliday
Mary A. Harlock
W. H. Harlock
J. J. Harlock
J. T. Chadwick
J. A. H. Ruston?
Thomas J. Scott
Mary J. Scott
C. J. Seymour
F. J. Seymour
E. A. Western?
Sarah Ann Boote
V. M. Maloney?
Jane Ann Coatsworth
J. L. Thompson
Mary Ann Rutherford
W. A. Tably
Mrs M. A. Tably
W. F. Crye?
145 people in all, of whom 53 men, women and children were from Weardale, County Durham.
The following is a small account of two of the families that were on board that are related to Bev Dey:-
Jacob Baty a lead miner from Killhope, married Elizabeth Brown, born Coalcleugh, Northumberland, at Heatherycleugh Church on October, 1879. Jacob and Elizabeth lived in Dunedin until about 1885, then came to the West Coast, where they farmed at Coal Creek, near Greymouth. There were nine children, Joseph William, Thomas Bertie, Mary Margaret, Walton, Alfred, John, Ivy, Sarah, Hilda.
Jacob Graham, shoemaker from Copthill, Weardale, married Margaret Baty 29th October 1870 at the Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Weardale. Jacob and Margaret lived on Otago Peninsula close to Lanarchs Castle where they ran a small farm. There were four children, Elizabeth, Batey (Bert), Hannah and William.
All the information on this page has been kindly supplied by Bev Dey, so if you would like more information on the above two families, please make contact with Bev Dey.