Search billions of records on





The IONIC departed London on 29 December, 1889 and arrived in Port Chalmers on 12 February, 1890, with Captain William H Kidley in command.




Transcribed from the Otago Daily Times, Wednesday, 12 February, 1890, Page 1.



ARRIVALS. Ionic, R.M.S., 4367 tons, Kidley, from Plymouth (December 29), via Capetown (January 19) and Hobart. N.M. and A. Company, agents.


Passen­gers from Plymouth for Dunedin:


Saloon –

Messrs F H McLaurin, P McLaurin

W A Smith Masters, Mrs Masters, Miss Masters


From Cape:

Mr Arthur

Geo Pruden


From Hobart:

Mr A White

Dr JK Duff

Mr A P Morris

Mrs M Hector


Second cabin-

Messrs A Russell, R W Reid



Misses Johanna Armitage, Anna Armitage, Mrs E Murray White, Miss Sarah Murray White

Mr Wm McMillan, Miss Hannah Wheatley

Mr R Mitchell

Mrs Mit­chell and family (4)


For Lyttelton:


Dr Whitson

Mr Wm Hawley


Second cabin-

Miss McFarlane


For Wellington:


Lieutenant-general Younghusband, C.B.

Miss McCaul

Miss Perry

Mr J H Hoyle

Mr F King

Mrs King

Miss Godfrey

Mr R Pack

Mr H Richardson

Miss Griffiths

Miss Julia Bayliss


From Capetown:

Mr F Carlson

Miss Hastings


For Wellington:

Second cabin-

Misses L Bennett, M Mould

Mr Wm Buchanan

Misses K G Buchanan, Janet Buchanan, F Aitchison, Mr Wm Anderson, Mrs Anderson and family (3)



Mrs Davies, Misses Elizabeth Lister, Sarah Thatcher

Messrs William Stark, Thomas Brown, W Cairns, W Davies


For Napier:

Second cabin-

Mrs Aitkinson, Miss E Aitkinton, John Aitkenson, Mr C P Whitelaw


For Auckland:

Second cabin-

Mr A Gall



Mrs Mary Scott

John Durant




ARRIVAL OF THE IONIC. The K.M.S. Ionic, from Plymouth, via Capetown, and Hobart, arrived off Taiaroa Heads at 2.15 p.m. yesterday, having been detained on the coast owing to the late heavy fogs. She anchored until the tide was favourable and crossed the bar at 6.15 p.m. un­der the charge of Pilot Paton, steaming up the har­bour, when she was met by the Customs boat, and all being well was passed and cleared in, continuing her course and berthing alongside the George street pier at 7.30 p.m. when she at once commenced to discharge her cargo for this port into the railway trucks. The Ionic is still under the command of Captain Kidley, and the only change in the personnel of her officers are Messrs Christie and Hayes, late of the Coptic, come as third and fourth officers; and we are happy to state no casualties have occurred to mar the passage, which has been a fine weather one. There have been no births or deaths, and the usual amusements have taken place. Fire and boat drills were regularlypractised, and divine service held every Sunday. Thanks to the care and attention of Dr Dwyer, her medical officer, the passengers have all arrived in excellent health, and previous to her arrival at Hobart Captain Kidley was presented with a testimonial from the passengers, expressive of their high appreciation of his courtesy manifested towards them during the passage. She brings 65 passengers, of whom 25 are saloon, 19 second class, and 21 third class; 59 being from Plymouth, two from Capetown, and four from Hobart; having landed 39 at Hobart for the Australian ports. She also brings 2500 tons cargo for New Zealand, 1200 tons of which are for this port, and also eight bags of mails, and 16 boxes of parcel post, her dates being; Plymouth, 29, 1889; Teneriffe, January 3, 1890; Cape­town, January 19. Her two best days runs were on January 28 and 29, when she logged 317 and 349 knots. Mr Kane, with his usual courtesy, supplied us with all the necessary informa­tion, and also with the following report of the passage:- The Ionic left the Royal Albert Dock at 4 p.m. on December 28, had light airs and fine weather down the channel, and arrived at Plymouth at 6.41 p.m. on December 29; left Plymouth four hours afterwards. Light easterly winds and smooth sea were met with while crossing the Bay of Biscay. From Finisterre to Teneriffe, which was reached at 1.8 p.m. on January 3, experienced light variable winds and fine weather; left Teneriffe at 7.35p.m. on January 3, picked up the N.E. trades next day in lat. 25 N. These blew fresh throughout, and were lost in lat. 5.30 N.; thence to lat. 6 S. had light airs with a good deal of thunder and lightning. The line was crossed on January 9 in long. 9 W.; fell in with the S.E. trades in lat. 6.30 S. These blew strong throughout, and gave out the day before reaching Cape Town. Arrived at Table Bay at 6.4 a.m. on January 19, and left again at 11.38 a.m. same day. For the first two days after leaving had variable airs and smooth sea. On January 22 the prevailing W. winds were fallen in with. These blew fresh from the N.W. and S.W. until the meridian of 100 E. was reached, when the wind shifted to the eastward. Passed the meridian of Cape Leuwin on February 2, and from thence to Hobart experienced light variable winds and foggy weather. The easting was run down on a mean parallel of 47. At 7 a.m. on February 6 the Mewstone was abeam, and at 2.47 p.m. same day cast anchor in Hobart, discharged 220 tons cargo, and left again at 8.35 a.m. next day. During the run across experienced vari­able airs and heavy fogs. When nearing the New Zealand coast the fog became so dense that it was found necessary to stop the ship for about 14 hours. The Snares were abeam at 6.30 a.m. on February 10, and during the run down the coast had thick foggy weather.Anchored off the heads at 2.15 p.m. Total steaming time, 41d 2h.



Go to TOP




Copyright – Gavin W Petrie – 2012