Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
STOW-BARDOLPH, a parish in the hundred of Clackclose, county of NORFOLK, 2 miles (N.N.E.) from Downham-Market, containing 702 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wimbotsham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. 8. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has a large square tower with brick buttresses, and on the north side of the chancel is a chapel, the burial-place of the Hare family. South of the church are the remains of an ancient hermitage, of flint and brick, now converted into a farm-house. Near a bridge, which crosses the Ouse, about two miles from the village, a fair is held for horses and cows, on the eve of the festival of Holy Trinity.