Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Genealogy & History
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sheboygan/

This page is part of the site located at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sheboygan/ There is no charge or fee to access this site or any information on it. If you have arrived here from somewhere else, such as a pay site, and are in a frame, you can click the above url to access this page directly.


Contributed by Pat Phillips

This is as transcribed from a newspaper clipping of February 21 {25?}, 1901
{No paper name was noted}

The Late Peter Glass


Peter Glass, whose death occurred at his home in the town of Scott, was in some respects a very remarkable man. He was first of all a good man and kind neighbor. The writer has very distinct recollections of the first few times he saw him.

It was back in the sixties that he came to the town of Scott to look over a farm he then owned there. He was living with his family at Barton and he had rented his farm to a man by the name of Schlenter. It was not until a few years later that he made the same farm, an excellent piece of land, until his death occurred a few weeks ago.

I am not prepared to say how well he succeeded as a farmer, but I can remember how well he served the town of Scott as an officer and how much his opinion was sought by his neighbors and how much his judgment influenced the affairs of his community.

Had he sought renown it would not have been difficult for him to have gained it. His mosaic work has been the wonder of many. In 1855 he had on exhibition in the Horticultural hall in Worcester, Mass., two tables, one of which had been made of 30,000 pieces. This he sold for $1400. He next made one of 45,000 pieces, and he sold it to a Mr. Fuller of Waukesha, this state, for $550. He made one of 20,000 pieces and a work stand of 2000 pieces, which, while on exhibition in Chicago, was said by one of the papers of that city to be, "the most marvelous article of handiwork ever exhibited in this or any other country." It was Mr. Glass's intention to present the tables to President and Mrs. Lincoln, but they were still on exhibition in Chicago when the assassin's bullet cut short the life of the president. They were, however, tendered the family of Mr. Lincoln and accepted. Mr. Glass received a letter from Robert T. Lincoln acknowledging the receipt of the gift and expressing the thanks of the family. The tables are now in the National museum at Washington, among the Lincoln relics.

In 1867 Mr. Glass had on exhibition in the Paris exposition a tablet made of 96,320 pieces. He brought the table back to Wisconsin where it was raffled off and won by E. O'Hearn of Cascade. He sold it to Mr. Hoffmann of Sheboygan who sent it the centennial at Philadelphia and it is believed now to be in the public museum of that city.

Mr. Glass received a silver medal from the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanics association in 1850, a bronze medal and diploma from the New York American Institute in 1856, an honorable diploma from the Paris exposition in 1867, and a silver medal from the Wisconsin Agricultural society in 1868.

In the late years he as made several very handsome articles, among which is a work stand, a gift to his daughter, Miss Rose Glass of Sheboygan. One of the last pieces of work he did was to make a parlor stand which he sold for fifty dollars. It is owned by a relative of his in Boston, Mass.


Transcribed & Contributed by Pat Phillips

Return to the Newspaper Articles page

Return to the Sheboygan Page

If you have any question e-mail Debie

Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved