Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Genealogy & History
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sheboygan/

This page is part of the site located at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sheboygan/ There is no charge or fee to access this site or any information on it. If you have arrived here from somewhere else, such as a pay site, and are in a frame, you can click the above url to access this page directly.


This article was contributed by Kay Reitberger

Sheboygan Daily Press - August 17, 1928

{There is a photo of the Chutobba gravestone}

Gravestone Dated 1825 Found In Eighth Street Excavation


Workmen engaged in excavating on the east side of N. Eighth street south of the alley between Erie and St. Clair avenues this week, for a time believed they had struck an abandoned cemetery. A granite headstone twelve inches in width and nineteen inches in height was found imbedded in the ground about 2 feet below the surface. On the top end of this slab was inscribed the name Michael and on the face was cut the following inscriptions: "CHUTOBBA Geb.d 29 Okt 1825."

Old-timers here remember the Michael CHUTOBBA family which left Sheboygan about twenty-seven years ago to locate at Sturgeon Bay, Wis. In all probability the slab had been ordered by CHUTOBBA and was left behind when he and his family moved away from the city.

About forty-five years ago the late James MALLMANN had a small frame building moved on the lot where the stone was unearthed this week. He occupied it as an office in connection with his cheese business and real estate transactions. On the same lot, but at the east end, was a cold storage warehouse (the first one ever erected in Sheboygan by Frank LAWRENCE) in which MALLMANN stored cheese. The stone was unearthed from its position between the small office building and where the cold storage warehouse formerly stood. It is only a conjecture that CHUTOBBA stored his headstone, either at MALLMANN's office or in the warehouse.

An interesting story is connected with the little frame building which was occupied by MALLMANN and which was recently torn down to clear the ground for a modern two-story brick building.

Originally it was the first house of worship erected for the congregation of the Grace Episcopal church When the present edifice was erected in 1869 it was moved off the grounds. After Mr. MALLMANN discontinued his business the building was occupied as a grocery store by a man named FOLGER, who a few years after sold out to a man named PETRICK. Later Ulrich MOECKLI conducted a photographic studio in the same building for a few years when he removed to the corner where A. L. KUETHER is now located in his new studio. Since MOECKLI moved out the building had been used for several different purposes, the latest occupant being a Chinaman who conducted a laundry there for the last five or six years.

The accompanying picture taken by The Press staff photographer soon after it was unearthed, shows the CHUTOBBA headstone.


Return to the Sheboygan Page

If you have any question, e-mail Debie

Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved