Three Families Came In 1844, Followed Soon By Influx Of Settlers
In its primitive state Township 14, north of Range 21, East, was a wilderness alive with wild animals and fowl, forming a paradise for the hunter and trapper. It was also filled with wild fruits and medicinal barks and roots claimed t possess healing virtues. Wild bees produced lots of honey and the forests yielded abundant nuts, making the town of Lyndon a perfect arcadia for the coming pioneer.
The district was frequented by roving bands of Indians, principally Chippewa, Winnebago and Pottawatomi tribes. On Section 28, near Lake Ellen, was located a village containing many wigwams, a large council house and cleared planting grounds. From this point the Indians radiated in all directions, trapping and making maple sugar. An Indian by the name of "SHISO" was recognized as their chief. He was an intelligent Crow Indian and in the 80's lived in the forest north of Oconto, Wisconsin.
It was north of Lake Ellen where the Indians made their last stand in Sheboygan county. Before the invasion of white settlers they made an effort to secure title to these lands through Solomon JUNEAU, of Milwaukee, and old and trusted friend. He came to the town and promised to purchase the lands for them; but the white settlers came ahead of him and he failed to secure the title. He finally purchased another tract for them in the town of Sherman, but they never occupied it.
The first white man to settle in the town was Albert ROUNSEVILLE, who, with his family, came in 1840 and located on the banks of the Onion river at Winooski in the north part of town. The following spring he moved to Sheboygan Falls.
In the summer of 1844 the first permanent settlement was made when three families arrived. Dr. Joseph MALLORY from New York, settled on the rich burnt opening at Onion river. Thaddeus HARMON, with his family, located near the spring in the northeast part of the town, and Cyrus WEBSTER, pioneer from Massachusetts, settled in the southeastern part of the town.
During the following two years there was a large influx of settlers, a number coming from Ohio. Among these were Ira and Truman STRONG, William THOMPSON and the SHADBOLDT brothers. James and Lucinda STONE came in 1846 and Mr. STONE was instrumental in having a post office established at Winooski, serving as postmaster for eight years. His daughter, Helen, was the first teacher in the first district school established in the northern part of town.
The first mail route was established from Sheboygan Falls to "Spring Farms" with Albert ROUNSEVILLE on foot, for a weekly carrier.
The first white child born in the town was Josephine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. S. McINTYRE, on October 16, 1847.
The first death was Gilbert LYMAN, brother of Mrs. W. W. HUSON, which occurred at the home of N. C. HARMON, two miles north and one-half mile west of Waldo, in the fall of 1845.
In 1847 the town took upon itself the responsibility of self-government. The first town meeting was held in the log cabin of William CROFF, the town of Mitchell being attached for town purposes. The town of Lyndon was named by William G. MALLORY after the beautiful town in his native state.
The first officers elected were: Supervisors - Benjamin C. TROWBRIDGE, William THOMPSON and Edward SHAW; Town Clerk - William CROFF, and Justice of the Peace - N. C. HARMON.
The first religious service was held in the home of N. C. HARMON, a young Methodist clergyman by the name of LEWIS officiating.
Among the pioneer settlers of the town and the years in which they arrived, follows:
1841 - W. A. BARBER, on Section 23
1844 - C. HARMON, (later cheese-maker), on Section 11; S. M. HARMON, and N. C. HARMON, on Section 2.
1845 - Corwin WARNER, on Section 6; E. C. BUTTERS, on Section 27; D. S. McINTYRE, on Section 21, and A. F. WHIFFEN (later merchant at Onion River), on Section 14.
1846 - L. ROOD, on Section 21; Robert LAWSON, on Section 22; R. W. LAWSON (later merchant at Waldo), on Section 22; Thomas LAWSON, on Section 23; W. W. POTTER, on Section 36; S. L. MARSHALL on Section 25; S. L. SMITH on Section 27; and J. W. HARRIGAN on Section 20.
1847 - H. H. ROBINSON on Section 25; George TITUS on Section 28; G. S. JEWETT on Section 4; E. DREWRY on Section 1; H. BURKHARDT on Section 10; and G. AUSTIN on Section 7.
1848 - Fred JOERNS (grist-mill and later cheese factory at WInooski) on Section 8; Willis RICHMOND on Section 10; R. C. ELLSWORTH on Section 26; M. PIERCE on Section 25; James WILFORD on Section 32; and Christoph GATES on Section 31.
1849 - E. P. ANDRUS on Section 9; Elisha FORD on Section 16; H. COMINGS on Section 17; George W. PIERCE on Section 4; A. M. BATES on Section 34; and J. M. O'HEARN 9later hotel keeper at Cascade) on Section 29.
1850 - C. AKIN on Section 5; H. R. DANCOX on Section 20; W. W. REED on Section 18; John BROOKE on Section 19 ; and H. TITUS on Section 26.
1851 - Fred W. BROOK on Section 22; George PETERSON on Section 29; E. A. ESTY on Section 12; Caleb FORD on Section 16; and W. W. HASTINGS on Section 10.
1852 - Thomas JACKSON on Section 4; Nathan UNDERHILL on Section 9; and C. B. BUTTERS on Section 27.
1853 - G. BUCHEN on Section 28; and W. H. LAWRENCE on Section 5.
1854 - A. BEECKLER on Section 11; Charles E. COPLEY (carpenter and joiner) on Section 29; and W. J. TIMM (later flour mill at Cascade) on Section 29.
1855 - A. N. Jackson on Section 2; S. VESEY on Section 8; C. CLARK on Section 9; J. C. O'BRIEN on Section 33; W. T. OGLE (blacksmith at Cascade) on Section 29; and William OGLE (blacksmith at Cascade) on Section 29.
1856 - H. DOUGLAS on Section 11; A. AKIN on Section 8; C. B. BRIGGS on Section 18; Ephraim JOHNSON on Section 15; L. C. BARTLETT 9later druggist at Cascade. When he retired Mr. Bartlett, who was a civil war veteran, moved to Sheboygan where he made his home with his daughter until his death which occurred about two years ago) on Section 29; and John H. WIGGINS on Section 29.
1857 - A. I. LEE on Section 13; J. PLATT on Section 36; and A. MEYER on Section 5?.>br>
1858 - I. H. PLATT on Section 25; M. POLLARD on Section 35; and H. MEY (later miller at Onion River) on Section 14.
1860 - Cyrus RICHMOND on Section 9; and J. G. CALDWELL on Section 26.
(There is no 1861 in this article - K.R.)
1862 - Fred BALHORN (later harness maker at Cascade) on Section 29.
1863 - G. T. LOOMIS (physician and surgeon) on Section 29; F. SEYFORTH (later miller at Onion River) on Section 14; and John SELK on Section 6.
A list containing practically all the names of the settlers in the town of Lyndon, and their respective locations in 1870, follows:
Section 1 - J. LEACH; William BURTON; Robert BLAIR; A. LAWSON; W. W. HUSON; M. EASTMAN; S. BRADLEY; E. DREWRY; and Alphonzo HUSON.
Section 2 - F. and D. BUNCE; A. N. JACKSON; N.C. and A. G. and A. M. HARMON; A. S. MILLER; and W. BURTON, Jr.
Section 3 - C. and A. D. BEMIS; L. N. BURNELL; Samuel REED; and J. PFLUGRODT.
Section 4 - Thomas JACKSON; D. MILLARD; Fred JOERNS; H. AVERILL; G. S. JEWETT; and W. SMITH
Section 5 - Benjamin L. NUTT; John CHRISTIE; EDSON; Allen and Seldon AKIN; W. H. LAWRENCE; and C. AKIN.
Section 6 - A. MEYE; T. SMITH; Fred TURSS; and J. SELK.
Section 7 - Mrs. O'ROURKE; Thomas RILEY; F. D. RICHARDSON; J. B. BUCHHOLZ; George AUSTIN; C. McNALLY; and C. LARRABEE.
Section 8 - J. and P. DOOLEY; E. KEYES; Salmon VESSIG; and S. C. WIGGIN.
Section 9 - D. UNDERHILL; F. HARWIN; N. UNDERHILL; C. A. CLARK; E. P. ANDREWS; and G. PIERCE.
Section 10 - W. WILLS; James LITTLE; Mrs. THOMPSON; W. RICHMOND; W. BURKHARDT; C. and N. A. HARMON; and F. JOERNS.
Section 11 - C. HARMON; W. J. CASE; G. SIMONS; N. C. and S. M. HARMON; H. DOUGLAS; Alex BEECKLER; A. HAUSKNICHT; and J. MUENSCH.
Section 12 - William HODSON; W. AUKLAND; Charles LAWSON; ; W. HALTER; F. BAUER; J. ROGERS; E. A. ESTY; and A. LAWSON.
Section 13 - J. ERWIN; J. PEITER; C. SCHAEKEL; J. ALLMAN; A. L. LEE; W. PETERSEN; and H. J. HUTCHINSON.
Section 14 - J. D. CURTIS; L. DOUGLAS; A. SHAW; R. LAWSON; and William ARMSTRONG.
Section 15 - H. and E. JOHNSON; Pat GERICH; J. WRIGHT; J. NEVER; W. T. and J. HASTINGS; Mrs. S. CALDWELL; and W. YORK.
Section 16 - Caleb and E. and Benjamin FORD; M. B. LAWSON ; O. S. WOOD; and H. McMURPHY.
Section 17 - M. KEYES; H. COMINGS; C. RICHMOND; R. FELTON; J. ZELMAN; T. EVANS; and H. DOUGLAS.
Section 18 - G. AUSTIN, C. B. BRIGGS; B. L. NUTT; M. KEYES; N. UNDERHILL; J. NICHOLS; J. PRESTON; W. W. REED; N. H. WEST; and Pat DOHERTY.
Section 19 - M. C. ELDER; A. GRIGGS; M. ALCOX; E. CULON; C. T. GRAVES; J. BROOKE; M. and T. H. KELLY; N. TIFFANY; M. SMITH; and Pat DOHERTY.
Section 20 - H. HILL; W. LONG; H. R. DANCOX; L. SHARP; G. W. WIGGIN; J. R. THOMAS; A. E. EFNER; J. R. BAER; and J. HARNDON.
Section 21 - B. FORD; James LONG; L. ROOD; G. LAWSON; E. CLARK; D. S. McINTYRE; C. BRIGHT; and W. YORK.
Section 22 - M. MELENY; R. LAWSON; L. SPRATT; M. MEAD; J. HOLBROOK; J. WILLS; F. W. BROOKE; J. JOHNSON; H. ROBINSON; and S. J. OGLE.
Section 23 - Thomas LAWSON; W. BARBER; J. WILLS; L. HOLBROOK; R. LAWSON; E. JOHNSON; and Major MEAD.
Section 24 - C. R. MEAD; H. L. HUTCHINSON; J. WILCOX; A. SHAW; P. DARLING; and A. I. LEE.
Section 25 - H. ROBINSON; M. PIERCE; S. L. MARSHALL; and J. H. PLATT.
Section 26 - W. BARBER; J. MARSHALL; Thomas ATKINS; S. B. HADLEY; H. TITUS; J. G. CALDWELL; and R. C. ELLSWORTH.
Section 27 - R. C. ELLSWORTH; M. DOUGLAS; T. LAWSON; T. ATKINS; W. BARBER; H. L. JOHNSON; Mrs. BROOKE; L. SPRATT; George TITUS; E. C. and C. B. BUTTERS; L. PALMER: and S. L. SMITH.
Section 28 - C. BRIGHT; P. ALCOX; L. PALMER; G. LAWSON; J. C. PECK; C. TYLER; S. SMITH; J. G. CALDWELL; G. BUCHEN; F. CULLEN; and C. PALMER.
Section 29 - G. W. and Diana PETERSON; J. H. WIGGIN; J. PRESTON; P. M. KELLY; C. SUCKOW; and R. LOW.
Section 30 - P. CROZIER; M. KELLY; S. NICHOLS; M. DOHERTY; J. LONG; H. HEIDNER; D. PIPER.
Section 31 - J. McLAUGHLIN; M. HAND; H. SKELTON; Mrs. REYNOLDS; J. WILFORD; J. DELEVAN; William STEINKE; and H. SKELTON.
Section 32 - Mary O'BRIEN; J. KENNEDY; W. DOHERTY; P. and J. WILFORD; and H. SKELTON.
Section 33 - J. C. O'BRIEN; S. R. ROBINSON; G. BUCHEN; J. C. PECK; C. H. SCHAAFS; C. B. and C. E. BUTTERS.
Section 34 - S. L. SMITH; A. C. ROBINSON; A. M. BATES; L. CALDWELL; J. MERRILL; J. D. BATES; W. ROBINSON; J. P, BATES; and J. W. LEE.
Section 35 - F. CULLEN; B. BAKER; J. McCANN; J. MURDOCL; J. PLATT; M. R. ROBINSON; Pat SWEENEY; D. CARLETON; T. McFARLAN; and J. MERRILL.
Section 36 - E. RATSCH; E. MURDOCK; M. PIERCE; G.C. COLE; W. POTTER; J. PLATT; L. D. HILL; L. A. HILL; and J. YORK.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids