Originally A Part Of Scott, But Given Its Own Name In The Year 1850
The town of Sherman is one of the finest farming sections in Sheboygan county, a large portion of its area being land of
great fertility. All former histories written of the county state that the first settlement was made in 1846, at which
time J.V. BASSETT, a native of New York state located on Section 10. BASSETT lived almost a century. However, there is
reason to believe that in 1840 Valentine STRAUBE settled on Section 7, and that in 1844 A. G. AMES settled on Section 12,
that in 1845, O. P. BROWN, who later became a cheesemaker, settled on Section 18.
The town was originally a part of Scott, having been divided in 1850 and taking the name of Abbott. In 1865 by Act of the
Legislature the name was changed to Sherman.
In 1846, Julius SEIFERT, who later became a brewer at Silver Creek, settled on Section 30. In 1847 and 1848, there was a
large migration to the town, among the arrivals were the ABBOTT's; S. W. BRADLEY; J. E. MITCHELL; Matt SCHWARTZ; James
KINSELER; the ZUENGLER family; a man named TILLEY; another named WALKER; and many others, among whom where the following:
1847 - N. MILLER (later hotel at Random Lake) on Section 34; Charles W. FERK on Section 10; John SCHNEIDER on
Section 36; K. B. GOEHRING on Section 31; James KING on Section 25; and Nick GRIESCH (carpenter) on Section 15.
1848 - J. P. CARROLL (later lumber yard at Random Lake) on Section 33; James KINSELER on Section 34; Charles
SEIFERT on Sections 32; Gottlieb HILLGER on Section 13; and William H. BROOKSHIRE on Section 17.
1849 - John SCHULTZ on Section 18; H. SCHULTZ on Section 17; and G. ZUENGLER on Section 14; and Jacob REIS on
Section 7; Jacob, Jr. was born on this farm April 7, 1849, and was probably the first white child born in the township.
Jacob, Sr. died in May 1876.
1851 - J. SCHOLTZ on Section 15; Robert SCHOLTZ on Section 13; Thomas MURPHY on Section 32; John SHERIDAN on
Section 12; Jacob HAZNER on Section 16. HEZNER later owned and operated a saw-mill west of Adell. He was a carpenter by
trade and built the first depot at Adell and was practically the builder of that hamlet. Charles FERK cane in 1851 with
his father and settled on Section 24, Abbott Township, where they rolled up a log cabin. Later they sold this farm and
removed to Section 3.
1852 - August and Mary (WINTER) FERK came up from Milwaukee and settled on Section 24, but later removed on
Section 3. Fred FERK was a son of this family.
1853 - Nick HAMMERS (later insurance agent) on Section 33; Charles STROEDE on Section 21; Frank EMMER on Section
35; J. F. HARTWIG (later wagonmaker) on Section 24; Fred HIRSCH on Section 7; Christian GERSMEHL on Section 2. GERSMEHL
came to town with $900 in gold and bought 160 acres of land where Adell now stands. He died October 3, 1893.
1854 - J. WISKOW on Section 24; David LEAHY (his son James later owned a lumber yard at Random Lake); Thomas NUGENT
on Section 1; and Martin F. WINTER on Section 28.
1855 - M. O'GRADY (Later farm implements) on Section 33; G. DOYLE on Section 1; Tim SCANLON on Section 1; F. A.
MEHLOS on Section 30; Gottlieb FORKE on Section 5. The FORKE family lived in a brush house 30 feet long and 12 feet wide
when they first came to the town but later they rolled up a log cabin which stood on the farm until 20 years ago. John
RUCH, who came in 1855, built a saw-mill on Section 27, which he operated for about four years when he built a new mill on
the same site, which he continued to operate for 16 years afterwards. In the meantime, he erected a second mill on the
same stream, about 80 yards below the first mill, which he operated until 1893, when the mill race was broken in a flood.
1856 - John F. MOEHRL (later hotel and store) on Section 31; and John BORKENHAGEN.
1857 - John ALLEN (Later general merchant) on Section 2; A. D. ABBOTT on Section 16; and Mrs. S. E. ABBOTT on
1862 - W. VAN HORN on Section 20.
1864 - Frank HENGEL on Section 36; and Jacob SCHREIBER.
1866 - Philip LUBENSTINE on Section 7.
A nearly complete list containing the names of residents of the town and their respective location in 1870, follows:
J. F. HAAG; F. HAAG; Peter HAND; M. CURTISS; A. FERK; G. HILLARD; C. BOARD; L.D. HILL; J. CANTWELL; J. NUGENT; J. MARSHALL;
J. MANNING; J. YORK; H. and C. ROCKWELL; G. FORBES; F. KRANTZ; J. REILLY; H. McDOUGALD; F. LIEBENSTEIN; J. HINTZ; H.
FEDEMEIER; R. SWANN; F. IMLE; G. FORKE; J. LONG; P. HAND; E. WEINHOLDT; S. D. HUBBARD; H. A. SKELTON; T. LONG; W.
ROBINSON; J. D. BATES; W. RUNKE; L. MUEHLBAUER; N. BERRY; L. TIBBITTS; J. V. BASSETT; J. HASSNER; J. ALLEN; T. McFARLAND;
P. HATCHETT; M. SHERIDAN; J. CANTWELL; J. ENNIS; G. DOYLE; D. McCABE; R. DONOVAN; and P. KENNA.
C. LIEBENSTEIN; V. STRAUB; F. HIRSCH; J. MICHEL; N. SILBERNALER; P. HAAG; A. CAPELLE; G. FORKE; G. WINKLER; G. SCHRAM; E.
BECKER; B. REED; T. WEINHOLD; F. GERSMEHL; W. BORKENHAGEN; C. GERSMEHL; W. AINZ; P. ROCHE; E. SCHREIBER; J. BORKENHAGEN;
A. and C. MEIER; D. DONOVAN; R. SCHOLTZ; J. SHERIDAN; T. SCANLON; M. CASSON; C. FERK; C. REISSNER; A. GERSMEHL; F. OBERTON;
C. ROCHE; C. SCHREIBER; J. KNUHR; C. WIERSIG; R. WAITE; J. SCHULZ; P. SCANLON; J. CONROY; H. NEERHOF; R. HYATT; and M.
J. SCHULTZ; J. V. BASSETT; T. W. BROOKSHIRE; W. PFEIFFER; H. TOWNSEND; H. MILLER; C. HAAS; H. LYNN; N. ANDREW; J. SMITH;
J. HOEHNKE; H and P. MICHELBACH; A. DEGNITZ; G. DRAGSDORF; N. GIERSCH; H. UTECH; W. HAAS; J. HAAS; G. ZUENGLER; G. HILGER;
R. SCHOLTZ; E. WUSSOW; W. LAWRENCE; A. KLUG; A. BUETTNER; P. HAAG; J. NICKEL; G. BECKER; W. BROOKSHIRE; G. SEIDER; P.
ABBOTT; J. MESSER; H. LYNN; M. McELROY; F. LANDSMANN; D. HAAS; A. and C. WIERSIG; F. KROTSCHMER; J. MEYER; F. CAPELLE; A.
MEYER; and F. GILLIGAN.
F. WALLACE; F. JANKE; C. RHEINGANS; F. MEHLOS; F. WESSEL; M. ROEDIGER; E. KESSEL; F. YOUNG; J. BATES; M. JANKE; S.
STOLPER; W. VAN HORN; J. SCHAEFER; J. ABBOTT; J. THIEDE; P. ABBOTT; J. V. BASSETT; H. SCHODE; H. MICHELBUSCH; H.
SCHROEDER; M. McELROY; R. CLARK; V. KIES; M. SCHRANTZ; C. WINTER; W. HARTWIG; A. UTECH; J. F. HARTWIG; F. KLUG; J. WISKOW;
J. McELROY; J. TANK; T. BROETZMANN; F. STALPIN; E. NITSCHKE; A. KRUMHEIER; W. ABBOTT; H. STREHLAU; L. BEN; C. STROEDE; P.
WINTER; F. SCHULTZ; H. UTECH; H. ENSCH; P. SANDT; J. DRONT; and M. POESCH.
W. SCHROETER; H. RISSE; C. UBBICHT; J. HARTMAN; W. HANERT; M. REILLY; P. KLEHR; P. OBERTON; P. MILLER; G. KAISER; E.
STOLPER; J.G. and M. MILLER; F. and G. GOETSCH; M. and J. KINSELER; R. WALSH; L. WILKE; G. FITZPATRICK; V. KIES; J.
SCHRANTZ; D. SCHROEDER; N. SCHANTZ; John KING; F. and W. KOEPKE; J. KNUTH; D. DEPPIESSE; J. KAS; W. GOSSNER; C. THENNE; F.
MEHLOS; C. RHEINGANS; F. YOUNG; M. WINTER; T. WALSH; D. LEAHY; J. BURT; and N. SCHRAMM.
J. BAER; C. SCHEUNERT; C. FRANKE; C. GOEHRING; L. N. GREUNEWALD; F. GOEHRING; A. HENRY; F. GUSTINE; J. G. SEIFERT; P.
HENNESSY; A. McDERMOTT; M. REILLY; T. MURPHY; B. HENRY; M. BENZERT; C. BUTH; P. KIES; F. EMNIER; J. SCHNEIDER; P. SIMMER;
F. HENGEL; P. WETOR; P. POLANGE; D. DEPPIESSE; N. GILL; J. WOLF; G. HEMPEL; F. GOEHRING; M. O'GRADY; H. PANNER; J. P.
CARROLL; M. MILLER; G. FITZPATRICK; P. WALSH; F. MURPHY; J. O'GRADY; M. ROGAN; J. GARVIN; W. H. HAGEL; J. DEPPIESSE; J.
SCHULTZ; F. EMMER; F. KOEPKE; and J. KLUG.
The most important village in the town is Random Lake, which sprang up after the railroad was completed through that
section. The first settler on the village site was John P. CARROLL, who came in 1848. He was justice of the peace for
about 40 years, chairman of the town board for 18 years and was elected to the state assembly in 1865. For a number of
years he was proprietor of the American House, the leading hotel in that section of the county.
The village was first named Greenleaf in honor of E. D. GREENLEAF, financial agent for the railroad, but a few months
later the name was changed to Random Lake. In 1870 the railroad station was built and this was a signal for the formation
of a village. The depot was the first building to be erected, but soon after other buildings, including the post office,
were rapidly put up.
The first merchants to locate in the village, as nearly as can be ascertained, were Julius and Oswald KLESSIG, who opened
a store for the sale of general merchandise soon after the railroad was completed. Other merchants who followed were John
ALLEN and John F. MOEHRL, the latter also conducted a hotel.
The first lumber yard was owned and conducted by J. P. CARROLL, who started about the year 1872. He disposed of the yard
to R. D. BUTLER and for a number of years thereafter ran the hotel bus. BUTLER sold to James LEAHY in 1889, but during the
recent years the yard has been operated in the chain of lumber yards owned by the BARKER Lumber company.
The first wagon-maker was J. F. HARTWIG, whose place of business was located midway between Random Lake and Adell. Mr.
HARTWIG is still living past 90 years of age.
The first blacksmith was Matt MARSHALL, who passed away bout 40 years ago.
The first postmaster was David PAULUS, and he was followed in regular order by M. O'GRADY; J. P. CARROLL; Gerhard FRANZEN;
Theresa HEINEN; and Wilbur HOELZ.
The first school in the village was taught by Miss Margaret E. NASH.
The town of Sherman now supports two village schools, one in Random Lake, with an enrollment of 153 pupils, the other in
Adell with an enrollment of 61 pupils, two district and three joint district schools, all having a combined enrollment,
according to the last school census, of 590 pupils.
David G. WILK, popular furniture dealer and undertaker in the village of Random Lake, succeeded his father in this
department of the business in 1912. The father, Fred WILK, started in the furniture and hardware business in a new
building which he had erected in 1887. Later he took his son David, into partnership, under the firm name of Fred WILK &
Son. In 1912, the father disposed of the furniture department to his son David, continuing the hardware business alone
until 1923, at which time he sold out to the SINNEN Hardware company.
In 1914, David G. WILK, had the spacious, modern store which he now occupies erected, and after it was completed, he
increased the stock of furniture and improved the undertaking facilities.
The Lone Pine Fox & Fur company, was organized on April 7, of this year, and while engaged in this unique business for
only a few weeks, has established the nucleus for a thriving colony of fur-bearing animals.
The farm, which consists of a tract of 46 acres is located at the intersection of State Highways 144 and 28, six miles
west of the village of Random Lake. The buildings include an observation tower, a fine bungalow for the rancher's home,
125 fox pens, besides a chicken hatchery and rabbit huts. The company will raise silver & black foxes, Chinchilla rabbits
and other fur-bearing animals, and also pure-bred chickens.
The officers of the company are as follows:
Chas. A. WINEGARDNER - President
C. W. MOOBERRY - Vice President
William F. WILK - Secretary and Treasurer
Guy F. PHILLIPS - Sales Manager
The firm of H. W. BEGER Co., is successor to a general merchandise business established in the village of Random Lake many
years ago by ALTENHOFEN Bros. In 1907, Miss Laura BEGER, present treasurer of the firm, accepted a position with
ALTENHOFEN Bros., which she continued to fill for four years, when, in company with her brother, H. W. BEGER, who, for
eight years prior to coming to Random Lake, had taught school in Washington county, they purchased the business on October
1, 1911. Arthur, the third member of the present firm, was attending the Oshkosh Normal when his brother and sister took
over the business.
In 1921, the H. W. BEGER Co. bought the grain elevator and feed business formerly owned by J. P. ALTENHOFEN, which, in
1926, was re-sold to the Random Lake Co-operative.
The firm deals in dry goods, groceries, furnishings and footwear for the entire family.
The officers are: H.W. BEGER, President; Arthur H. BEGER, Vice President; and Miss Laura BEGER, Treasurer.
The SINNEN Hardware company, of Random Lake, is successor to the firm of Fred WILK & Son, having purchased the hardware
stock in 1923. In 1920, M. H. SINNEN, started a garage and service station in Random Lake, which he conducted until 1923,
when he disposed of the business to the DEPIES Auto company. Since that time he has devoted his time exclusively to the
hardware and farm implement business.
Mr. SINNEN was born in Random Lake and has lived all his life in that village. He is well and favorably known throughout
that section of the county.
The State Bank of Random Lake was established in 1905, at the start transacting business in the brick building now
occupied as the post office. The first officers were: James LEAHY, President; M. N. ALTENHOFEN, Vice President; D. M.
ROSENHEIMER, Cashier. The latter filled the position as cashier until November 1, 1908, when he was succeeded by C. P.
In 1924, the modern brick and tile building occupied by the institution was erected. It is of fire-proof construction,
the floor being laid of reinforced concrete. The large modern vault, in which valuables are stored, is provided with a
six-inch steel burglar-proof door.
The present officers of the bank are as follows:
Andrew SCHMITZ - President
J. P. ALTENHOFEN - Vice President
C. P. SCHOMMER - Cashier
Alois J. MUELLER - Assistant Cashier
The resources of the institution in 1906 were $59,000 while at the present time they have increased to $503,174.51.
J. W. HARBRECHT, sole owner of a meat market at Adell, started in business there six years ago. Prior to that time, he
resided in the village of Sherwood, where he devoted more than 25 years to the same line of business.
Mr. HARBRECHT conducts a meat market under the best possible sanitary conditions, dealing in fresh, salted and smoked
meats. He makes all the sausages sold in the shop and also does the slaughtering, thus insuring fresh meats of all kinds.
In addition to conducting the meat market, Mr. HARBRECHT buys and sells live stock.
The Evangelical congregation at Random Lake was organized in 1905, the first pastor to serve being the Rev. Mr. VOIGT. He
was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. GOLDSTERN, and he was followed by the Rev. K. KUENNE, who has served the congregation for
the past fourteen years.
Before the house of worship was built in Random Lake, the families of Catholic faith attended the services in the church
located about one and one-quarter miles west of the village. The first edifice in Random Lake was erected in 1895, the
Rev. A. B. MUELLER serving as the first pastor. He remained until 1913, when he went to Madison, being succeeded by the
Rev. Father HILDEBRAND, who served from 1913 to 1927. The present pastor, the Rev. John KOELZER, was formerly assistant at
the South Side Catholic church in Sheboygan.
In 1924, the brick church building was enlarged and remodeled and at the same time, a new school house was erected in
connection with the church.
The first building used for business purposes to be erected in Adell was probably the one now occupied by George KILB,
son of Joseph KILB, believed to have been the pioneer hotel keeper in that section of the county. After KILB went out of
the hotel, John WARD went in. The latter was one of the most widely known men in that locality. WARD was succeeded by a
man named STEUERWALD, who transferred the hotel business to Fred WINTER, who in turn, sold to Henry SCHREIBER.
Joseph W. KILB was the first president of the village. He passed away about a year ago. The second president elected was
E. C. STRATTON and he was succeeded by Mr. KILB, who served in the office until his death. The present president of the
village is F. W. TENPASS.
Among the other oldest buildings is the foundry now occupied by William ZUENGLER.
The first postmaster was Noah SAEMANN, and he was followed by Louis ZIEGLER and then by E. W. GUTH.
The first merchant was a Mr. ABRAHAM, who came from Milwaukee and erected a building on the site now occupied by the
SAEMANN, SCHILLING & Co. store. The first building was of frame construction and was partially burned about the year 1900.
It was immediately re-built, but in 1812 was totally destroyed by a fire caused by the explosion when burglars attempted
to gain entrance to the safe. The yeggmen (?) made away with $70?? worth of postage stamps, the post office being located
in the building at the time, which was then occupied by the firm of SAEMANN, ZIEGLER Co. The burglars were later
apprehended by federal officers and sentenced to serve a term in the federal prison.
Soon after the second fire the present brick building was erected by the same company. Five years ago, the firm name was
changed from SAEMANN, ZIEGLER Co. to that of SAEMANN, SCHILLING Co.
The only church in Adell is the Lutheran, a frame building erected about ten years ago. The first pastor was the Rev. H.
DAIB, who was succeeded by the present pastor, the Rev. R. SCHROTH.
The Evangelical association at Silver Creek is a mission of the Evangelical church located in Batavia.
The Evangelical church at Silver Creek, which has no direct connection with the Evangelical association, was organized in
1873. The Rev. Mr. FRANKE was the first pastor, and he was followed in regular order of succession by the Rev. Mr.
GRUNEWALD; Rev. Mr. VOIGT; and the Rev. Mr. GOLDSTERN
P. H. SLATTERY, owner of a salesroom and garage, in the village of Adell, was formerly located at Parnell, where he
conducted a general merchandise store for a number of years. In 1920, he disposed of the business to his brother Edward.
In 1917, however, he had conducted a garage at Adell, which he purchased from William BURKE. Soon after acquiring the
Adell property, Mr. SLATTERY erected the present brick building which he now occupies.
He is the authorized agent in that locality for the Ford line of automobiles and Fordson tractors.
G. H. KILB is the successor to the hotel established more than 40 years ago by his father, Joseph KILB, in the village of
Adell. This is one of the oldest hostelries in that section of the county.
G. H. KILB took over the hotel in 1915, and two years later, he started a motion picture house known as the Liberty
Theatre, which he operates in connection with the hotel. Mr. KILB aims to please the public by showing clean, high-class
The Adell State Bank, at Adell, was first organized and received its charter on January 9, 1908. Prior a lot had been
purchased and a suitable building erected, the bank opening for the transacting of business in January, 1908, with a
capital of $12,000. The first officers elected were: Noah SAEMANN, president; A. W. FINNEGAN, vice president; E. C.
STRATTON, cashier; and J. W. LIEBENSTEIN and G. A. SCHULZ, directors. One year after the bank started, Mrs. M. C.
PLEKENPOL was appointed assistant cashier. Mr. FINNEGAN left Adell and William ZUENGLER was elected to fill the office of
vice president. After Mr. STRATTON died in April, 1923, E. J. LAU, then assistant cashier, was rewarded by being elected
cashier of the institution.
The present officers are:
Mrs. M. C. PLEKENPOL - President
George W. BATES - Vice President
W. J. LAU - Cashier
Soon after the Civil war, Julius SEIFERT started a brewery, which he later sold to Chas. HAMM. The brewery was later
moved from Silver Creek to Random Lake.
Early in the 50's, Theodore RIETZ started a distillery near Silver Creek, which became a very important industry. He
passed away on May 3, 1904, after which his son, Charles, carried on the business, until his death, which occurred
November 7, 1914, when the latter's widow continued operating the distillery until national prohibition.
In 1909, the village was given a serious setback when fire destroyed all the buildings on First street from the depot to
Butler street. The village had no fire fighting apparatus at the time and the flames swept unhindered until they had wiped
out the major portion of the business section of the village.
Random Lake was incorporated as a village on September 3, 1907. The first president elected was John DRIES, who was
followed in regular order of succession by James LEAHY; J. P. CARROLL; John DRIES (second term); Peter HAMMES; John WOLF;
and Wilmer ORTH.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids