St. John's Church Of Plymouth
The congregation of St. John's Catholic church at Plymouth was organized in 1861, by the Rev. Father SCHMITTING, although as far back as 1848, the people in this vicinity received irregular visits from the Revs. F. SCHRAUDENBACH and Mr. REHRL, both of whom were among the pioneer missionaries of the northwest, and who said mass in the homes of the different settlers. Between the years 1863 and 1868, services were held once every month, the congregation at Plymouth being attended as a mission by Fathers STEHLE and HAIDER. After them came the Capuchin Fathers from Mt. Calvary, who ministered to the spiritual wants of the people until 1888, when the Rev. J. P. VAN TREECK, of Sheboygan, visited Plymouth every three weeks until 1890, when his brother, J. A. VAN TREECK took charge of the people during his sickness and absence.
In 1900 the Rev. J. A. VAN TREECK was appointed chaplain of the Franciscan Sisters of Charity, at Alverno, by the Most
Rev. F. X. KATZER, Archbishop of Milwaukee. Rev. E. J. MEYER succeeded the Rev. J. A. VAN TREECK in January 1901, as
pastor of St. John's parish.
In 1904, a new school house was erected, and two years later the present brick edifice was erected to replace the original
house of worship.
In 1915, a Council of the Knights of Columbus was organized, which at present has a membership of 255.
In 1918, the Rev. E. J. MEYER was appointed pastor of the Holy Redeemer Parish, at Madison, and the Rev. A. J. JULY
succeeded him in December of that year.
In 1920, a new church organ was installed, and in 1923, the school house was enlarged to four class rooms. At the same
time adjoining property was purchased by the congregation and arranged for a dwelling for the Sisters of the school.
The parish at present comprises 162 families.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved