Sheboygan Press - April 29, 1927
Sylvanus Wade First Settler; Brought His Family There In 1844
Few townships in Sheboygan county have a more interesting history than that connected with the town of Greenbush, where the first settlement was made in the spring of 1844 by Sylvanus WADE who came from Massachusetts with his wife and nine children and located on the present site of the village of Greenbush. The nearest neighbors at that time were H. GILTNER, who lived on the plank road ten miles west, and Deacon TROWBRIDGE, who lived two miles west of Sheboygan Falls, thirteen miles distant. Mr. WADE rolled up a log cabin and built the first blacksmith shop in that section of the county.
The town was organized and named in 1845. Those who took part were Charles H. ROBINSON, William DAVIS and Sylvanus WADE. After considerable discussion, ROBINSON suggested the name Greenbush, the name of a town in the state of Vermont, which was adopted. WADE was chosen the first chairman of the newly organized town.
The town of Greenbush is well watered and many bubbling springs furnish an abundant supply of pure water. The Mullet river rises in the township and takes an easterly course through the town, furnishing water power for three gristmills and two sawmills. The most picturesque section of the Potash Kettles is located in the town.
In the southern portion of the town is what is known as South Prairie, a tract embracing about 2,000 acres of land. In the extreme northern part is a large tract known as the Sheboygan marsh, formerly a lake but during the later years drained to a considerable extent by a huge reclamation project, details of which appear in another section of this historical number.
Many years ago, Casper DIEHL, an old settler in the town, located on an island near the east end of the Sheboygan lake, staked out land boundaries and began clearing the land for cultivation. When settlers began to arrive in large numbers in that section, Mr. DIEHL, to protect his land interests, walked from his farm through the densely wooded country to the Government land office, which had been recently established at Menasha, to file his claim to the property on which he had settled.
Mr. DIEHL came to this country with Casper PFISTER, veteran jeweler of Sheboygan, in 1847, and it is said that when Mr. PFISTER first opened a watch repairing shop in the city of Sheboygan, Mr. DIEHL allowed him to use his watch for window display purposes.
It was on this island, located in the Sheboygan marsh, that Louis DIEHL of Plymouth, Jake DIEHL, former policeman in Sheboygan, and Frank and George DIEHL, of Wabash, Indiana, were born. Casper DIEHL died in 1895 in the village of Glenbeulah where his wife preceded him in death in 1873, Adolph MAIS now occupies the farm of 173 acres originally staked out by Mr. DIEHL.
The first birth in the town was that of a son to Mr. and Mrs. W. L. WILLIAMS. The wife of Robert STANNARD, merchant at Glenbeulah, is a daughter of this son.
The first marriage was Job BABCOCK to Miss Clarissa FULLER, which was solemnized in May, 1847 by Rev. Mr. FERGUSON, of Glenbeulah.
The first religious service was held in 1844, the Rev. Mr. TROWBRIDGE preaching the sermon in the home of Sylvanus WADE, The members of the WADE family and two hired men formed the congregation.
The first school was taught in the summer of 1848 by Miss Betsy L. ROBERTS (later Mrs. RAYMOND) in a building used as a sugar camp belonging to Mr. WADE.
At the present time, in the town of Greenbush, there is a grade and high school in the village of Glenbeulah, with an enrollment of 61 pupils, besides five district and two joint district schools, with an aggregate enrollment at the last school census of 425 pupils, making in all a total of 487 pupils attending school in the entire township.
The first death to occur in the town was that of Mr. Job BABCOCK, in the year 1846.
The first cheese factories in the town were those of CARSON & MANSFIELD, in the northwest part of the township, J. A. SMITH in Section 34, Miles MONTGOMERY in the village of Greenbush, and Albert STODDARD, also in the village. Ira CONGER now owns and operates the latter factory.
Subsequent history connected with the settlement and development of the town, will be found in the general reviews of the villages of Greenbush and Glenbeulah. However, a list containing the names of the earliest settlers and the date of their arrival in the town, may properly be included under this heading.
1848 (I think this should be 1845 but it clearly says 1848 - K.R.) - Isaac DE MUNCK on Section 13; Orrin LAMB, Charles ROBINSON, Job BABCOCK and Peter NAIR.
1846 - Horatio SPARKS on Section 31; C. B. COLEMAN on Section 9(?); and H. N. TUPPER blacksmith at Glenbeulah.
1847 - Jacob AVERY (miller at KEACH & STEVENS mill) on Section 17; Russell BARRETT on Section 5; H. DOCKSTADER (blacksmith at Greenbush); Samuel CRANDALL, D. P. ROBERTS, W. L. WILLIAMS, Jacob and A. E. STODDARD, Dr. L. N. CAREY, D. P. BREVIER, A. A. and H. LAMPHEER, C. P. SAMPSON, D. D. HOSFORD, and Henry C. LAACK.
1848 - Philip MILLER on Section 11; W. S. CRANDALL on Section 34; M. ALBRIGHT on Section 36; Charles RILEY on Section 32; George BUCHARD on Section 33; and James SHUFFLEBOTHAM (commission merchant) at Glenbeulah.
1849 - G. MANSFIELD on Section 5 (this year MANSFIELD taught school boarding with Milo HARD, two miles west of the village of Glenbeulah); D. M. CARSON on Section 19; Thomas FRANEY, William HULL, Thomas and Catharine SWEET (from Canada), and A. J. EHLE on Section 18. About the year 1874, fire broke out in the home of Mr. EHLE at night, burning to death Mr. EHLE, his wife and three children and a Mrs. KINNEY, who was visiting with the family at the time. The EHLE home was located on the Fond du Lac road a short distance west of the village of Greenbush.
1850 - W. G. ALBRIGHT on Section 6; Hazael P. CLARK on Section 1 (Soon after he arrived, CLARK built a sawmill near the village of Glenbeulah and supplied lumber to the early settlers in that section of the county); Ozias PETTIT on Section 28; Ezra COON on Section 28; and S. MELVIN on Section 9.
1851 - W. WHITNEY, Rathbun post office; Henry MINK on Section 14; John Andrew SMITH (veteran of the Mexican war, who helped to recruit a company of which he was appointed first lieutenant. This company became a unit, as Co. B, 8th Wisconsin Infantry, with the famous "Eagle Regiment" in the Civil war); and Erastus W. STANNARD. Mr. STANNARD later served as supervisor and also in the general assembly. During the Civil war he was captain of Co. B, 27th Wisconsin Infantry. In July 1863, while assisting a wounded soldier to climb into an ambulance, Captain STANNARD was severely wounded by accidental discharge of a gun in the hands of another soldier, and died soon after. The body was buried in central Mississippi, but was later disinterred and brought back to Greenbush by John Knowles, a brother of Mr. STANNARD's mother, and reburied in the village cemetery.
1852 - E. HEYN (later proprietor of "HEYN's hotel" at Glenbeulah"; John A. SMITH on Section 34; P. RAEDER on Section 25; Thomas BOGGS on Section 8; and Elijah ELLIOTT on Section 8.
1853 - John THACKRAY on Section 11; W. D. WHITE on Section 35; and Leander MAYHEW on Section 27.
1854 - F. D. LADENBERGER (blacksmith at Glenbeulah); Daniel O'BRIEN on Section 27; M. V. WHITNEY on Section 26; E. H. WEBSTER on Section 26; and J. A. FAAS on Section 13.
1855 - James BRICKNER on Section 4; E. W. HILLS on Section 14; Charles A. CORBETT (merchant) at Greenbush; B. DEVOY at Greenbush; and Henry SCHNARE (the first boot and shoemaker in the village of Greenbush).
1856 - Theo. HERRLING (sawmill) Greenbush
1857 - Edwin SLADE (later merchant) Glenbeulah; J. T. DILLINGHAM (sawmill, flouring mill and woodenware manufacturer) at Glenbeulah; A. MILLER on Section 4; Joseph B. CARSON on Section 11; Adrian DREIFURST on Section 30; Franz MAHNKE on Section 22; and John B. HEINRICH on Section 31.
1860 - Valentine KELLER on Section 30; C. A. WINN on Section 8; H. N. STRATTON on Section 9; and R. B. VAN VALKENBURGH (merchant) Glenbeulah.
1862 - Christ. BAKER on Section 32.
1863 - Henry VOLQUARTS (merchant) Glenbeulah.
A list comprising the names of nearly all the residents and owners of property in the town of Greenbush, in the year 1870, follows:
V. KELLER; Nick HEIN; J. DREIFURST; H. WATERMAN; H. SPARKS; J. T. DILLINGJAM; John BERTSCHY; H. PEBBLES; P. GRIMES; E. COON; W. B. BARRAGER; D. B. O'BRIEN; J. A. SMITH; R. B. VAN VALKENBURGH; Casper DIEHL; W. E. ALBRIGHT; W. E. CASE; F. RAEDER; F. SLADE; E. B. CLARK; A. DUGELMAN; A. DREIFURST; P. COUCH; J. DEAN; W. H. CLARK; M. CARR; and O. PETTIT.
J. HESLER; H. SPARKS; H. HAMBLIN; C. CRANDAL; Z. BUTLER; D. ALLEY; C. Z. MEAD; J. COUCH; J. GORMAN; W. HULL; J. A. SMITH; A. HILLS; A. M. BARNUM; H. REIGH; J. CARSON; J. T. DILLINGHAM; R. BARRETT; E. GILMON; P. GRIMES; H. PEBBLES; J. and T. GANNON; K. NOLAN; D. B. O'BRIEN; S. CRANDAL; H. CHATTLE; W. D. WHITE; T. LANE; SWIFT & CLARK; J. DONAHUE; J. A. STROH; C. FLATH; R. HICKS; W. E. ALBRIGHT; F. SCHNEIDER; P. FISHER; A. BENDER; and F. DAWLEY.
J. BURKE; P. BURG; I. M. CAMPBELL; W. E. ALBRIGHT; G. MANSFIELD; F. KNOWLES; I. F. WINN; A. C. GIBSON; A. MILLER; J. BRICKER; D. ALLEY; W. ZEMKE; E. MILLER; H. N. KEACH; Alex VAN PELT; E. HOWARD; M. GODDARD; C. CORNELIUS; W. O'MALLEY estate; D. P. and H. N. ROBERTS; L. M. and H. CORBETT; P. LADENBURGER; F. GRIESTBACH; W. HIGGINS; B. DEVOY; G. DOCKSTADER; J. DEVOY; J. HASLEM; George PLUMMER; T. CLARK; E. BAUMAN; J. CARSON; G. C. COLE; H. PHINNEY (in 1860, Henry STANNARD of Greenbush boarded with the PHINNEY family while he taught school in that district); C. KNOWLES; J. WINN; Mrs. J. MONK; R. BARRETT; E. GILMON; J. BRICKER; Henry DOCKSTADER; J. A. SYRON; Fred BECK; and J. SHUFFLEBOTHAM.
CLARK & THORP; Mrs. C. KENNEY; L. JAMES; G. DIEDRICH; J. O. DOWNING (log tavern and during the Civil war captain of Co. H, 14th Wis. Regiment); C. M. G. MANSFIELD; Mrs. C. HINMAN; C. A. WINN; V. B. KNOWLES; E. KEACH; E. TITTEL; C. B. COLEMAN; O. HIGGINS; H. WAGNER; D. HIGGINS; H. HOSFORD; J. ELMORE; J. HOSFORD; A. BENDER; H. MONK; J. B. CARSON; P. MILLER; P. COTTRILL; J. T. BOGGS; T. SWEET; E. M. ELLIOTT; S. MELVIN; Mrs. NAIR; D. P. ROBERTS; Carl REISS; J. S. and H. M. STRATTON; H. C. WADE; J. STODDARD; C. R. STRATTON; J. THACKRAY; J. J. CHAPMAN; John DENNIS; E. BAUMAN; J. SHUFFLEBOTHAM; and L. CARSON.
Abraham EHLE; D. M. CARSON; F. TITTEL; L. SCHOLTZ; J. LA BUDDE; S. MELOM; P. CORBETT; J. E. ROGER; J. MACK; H. M. STRATTON; R. HERRLING; J. S. GREELEY; H. LAMPHEER; S. JOHNSON; F. MAHNKE; M. MILLER; T. HERRLING; H. J. VANKUREN; J. MOGAN; G. S. PUTNAM (attorney); P. MOYNIHAN; J. WESTLAKE; (Baptist minister); H. SCHWARZ; R. W. (?); ?. P. GANNON; A. BENDER; H. C. (?); H. MONK; J. DENNIS; R. (?); S. EHLE; A. TITTEL; A. F. (?); M. and J. GALLAGHER; C. B. (?MAN; T. SWEET; M. ELLIOTT; J. (?MES; L. SCHULTZ; William (?MIDT; J. HALL; W. H. HOSFORD; ?. COLE; H. LAMPHEER; J. DE (?NCK; J. DOOLEY; J. FAAS; A. DE (?NCK; and A. BENDER.
A.M. and O.M. CARSON; J. HAN?); J. CAROLAN; J. A. HASSLEY; W. (?MAN; F. MAHNKE; R. M. BRUN?); F. HARRINGTON; J. G GLAUBIG; ?. and W. MOHR; Charles WITTKOPP; ?. GANT; H. MILLER; M. PFRANG; L. (?); M. CONNERS; T. GODFREY; A. (?); T. CAROLAN; J. FEE; D. FLYNN; ?. RICHTER; G. SCHUNKE; A. SEARS; ?. LA BUDDE; H. WARNER; T. HERR?); B. W. PHILLIPS; H. J. VANKUR?); ?. A. BENDER; J. WEBB; D. PRINDE?); T. NOLAN; L. MORAN; J. NOLAN; ?. BITTNER; R. RAPP; F. HOLLE; G. (?); J. GLAUBIG; S. FUCHS; and ?. MILLER.
H. S(?)RINGER; J. and T. GWINN; T. (?GAN; M. CONNER; C. H. HASLEE; ?. MULLEN; G. BALDWIN; A. BEND?); W. DUGGAN; B. W. PHILLIPS; C. (?); J. WILLIAMSON; L. and G. (?HEW; J. SEEKINS; H. FLETCHER; ?. (?ANLEY; J. McCONKEY; J. FOLEY; ?. KOHLMAN; C. KENNEDY; J. WEIS?); R. CONGER; Mrs. H. CONGER; ?. GODFREY; J. LESSELYOUNG; M. (?ISSE; N. GRIFFIN; W. WHITNEY; H. WEBSTER; F. HOLLE; C. SCHULTZ; ?. (?HAN; H. THIEDEMAN.
?. PULLING; L. FRANK; R. ROET?); J. CONNELL; G. RILEY; C. BAKER; ?. MURPHY; G. BURKHARDT; W. DUG?); C.A. and C.H. WEBB; J. WIL?); P.B. WHITNEY; P. ROCK; ?. MAYHEW; C. J. WILMOT; D. RIOR?); A. KORTE; L. HECKER; F. LAU(?)BACH; J. and P. HEINRICH; J. (?); E. CONGER; J. SELLERS; P. (?PHY; J. DOMINISSE; R. CODGROVE; ?. CONNELL; W. DUGGAN; J. EAGAN; ?iam HERBERT; J.M. MILLER; A. (?); G. BALDWIN; A. FOLEY; W. and C. ISERLOTH; S. RIORDAN; and M. ?. BROWN.
The village of Greenbush was settled by Sylvanus WADE in 1848. About that time he erected what at that period was an unusually large and pretentious hotel, on the plank road between Sheboygan and Fond du Lac.
At that time Greenbush was a way station of the stage line located between those two cities, which tended to make that settlement a very active center during the early years of the development of this region. The rooms at the WADE house were filled to capacity, practically every night, by people coming to settle in that section and also by emigrants enroute to points farther west.
All the grain harvested in the (?) part of Sheboygan county and that raised in Fond du Lac county and points even farther (?) was transported over the plank road to Sheboygan, which was then the only shipping point (?) of Milwaukee. After the (?) season the plank road was congested for several weeks by teams of oxen and horse-drawn wagons loaded with grain and other farm products, to be conveyed to the port of Sheboygan and loaded on vessels plying on the Great Lakes.
The first religious meeting was held in the village in 1846, with (?) Thomas COLE conducting the service. The Methodist church was (?) in 1855, and the Baptist house of worship during the following year. The Rev. Mr. FOX was the first pastor of the Methodist church, but during the past several years the congregation has been served by preachers from other points. At the present time, the Rev. Clarence SEIDENSPINNER, (?) Sheboygan, conducts the service each Sunday morning, in the (?) which was erected as a house of worship seventy-two years ago.
The Baptist congregation disbanded about ten years ago and the church building was recently razed.
A colony of Christians, or Camp??) erected a church during the late 50's in the north part of the town, as also did the Baptists.
About 1847 C. H. ROBINSON built the first saw-mill near the present site of the village, and a few years later KEACH & STEVENS built a similar mill on a site now occupied by STANNARD Bros., in which they manufactured broom handles. D. HOSFORD operated a gristmill, which was located on the Mullet river about one half mile south of the village.
KEACH & STEVENS, also owned and conducted a general merchandise store, which they started about the year 1858.
The first postmaster was Sylvanus WADE, and he was followed in regular order of succession by ? KEACH; Dr. MORAH; S. D. (?thbun; Albert KEACH; Henry STANNARD; who served for ten years, being succeeded ten years ago by his son, Robert, who now holds the office.
Henry DOCKSTADER was the first blacksmith and his brother Giles, was the first wagon maker in the village. Immediately after the Civil war, Thomas FRANEY, who was a horseshoer in the Union army established a blacksmith shop in the village, which he continued to operate until about 19 years ago, when Alfred HERGES took over the business.
The first frame dwelling house, located in the village of Greenbush, was built for Milo HARD, two miles (?) of the village limits.
Soloman LOMBARD was an attorney in the village during the early 50's, but it appears that he became dissatisfied with political conditions prevailing at the time, and he disposed of his property in Greenbush and left for other parts.
In January 1854, LOMBARD voiced his sentiments in a paid notice which appeared in the Evergreen City Times, a weekly newspaper published in Sheboygan. He declared that he was decidedly in favor of popular sovereignty to the fullest extent, in Nebraska and Kansas and all other states in the Union, and that he also was in favor of the repeal of the Missouri Compromise. He said he was willing to sell his property in the village at a bargain, as he wished to emigrate to one of the new Territories previous to their organization; but until he found a buyer for his property he intended to continue the practice of law in Greenbush and at the same time buy and sell real estate, pay taxes, etc.
The firm of STANNARD Bros., is successor to one of the oldest mercantile establishments in the village of Greenbush. It was started by KEACH & STEVENS about the year 1858 in a small frame building. They continued the business until 1865 when Henry STANNARD, father of Allen W. and Robert D., the present owners, bought the store and carried on the business alone until the fall of 1866 when he formed a partnership with R. B. VAN VALKENBURG. The store was conducted under the firm name of STANNARD & VAN VALKENBURG until 1869 when the latter became the sole owner, Mr. STANNARD retiring from active business life. In 1872 VAN VALKENBURG disposed of the store to Albert KEACH and the latter carried on the business until 1906 when the store was taken over by Allen W. and Robert D. STANNARD.
On October 7, 1918, the frame building was destroyed by fire and was immediately replaced by the present modern brick structure.
STANNARD Bros. deal extensively in dry goods, notions, groceries, men's furnishings, besides handling a large stock of flour and feed, shoes, hardware and paints and oils.
The Greenbush Garage was established in 1917 by E. B. MAYHEW and Fred GILMAN, who then erected a spacious tile and stucco one-story building since occupied as an auto service station.
The business was carried on by the firm until 1923, when Mr. MAYHEW purchased his partner's interest and became sole owner of the garage.
In conducting the service station Mr. MAYHEW is assisted by his son, Wilbur, and together they do all kinds of auto repairing, and other machine repairing as well. He also carried a stock of auto parts and accessories, including Goodyear tires. There is ample room in the garage for the storage of several automobiles.
Gus HOEHKNE, popular proprietor of the restaurant and ice cream parlor of Greenbush, started in this business in 1921, when he acquired from Jac. GERHARDT, the two-story frame building which he now occupies.
Mr. HOEHNKE was born and lived all his life on a farm located three miles south of the village of Greenbush. When his parents moved to Plymouth in 1913, he bought the homestead, which he traded for the village property. Since acquiring this property, he has made many improvements to the building.
Besides serving home-cooked meals, Mr. HOEHNKE serves lunches at all hours, and also deals in ice cream, confectionery and refreshments.
Alfred HERGES, blacksmith and horseshoer at Greenbush, has been located in the village for the past nineteen years. Prior to that time he was employed for a number of years by August FROME, at Howards Grove.
The shop which he now owns and operates was originally built by Thomas FRANEY, who was a horseshoer in the Union army and who, after the Civil war, came to Greenbush and established a blacksmith shop, which he conducted up to 19 years ago.
Since taking over this shop Mr. HERGES greatly enlarged the building and installed additional equipment required to properly carry on the business.
The village of Glenbeulah is situated in the beautiful valley of the Mullet river, among the clustering hills which form the most inviting and picturesque part of the Potash Kettle Range. The name Glenbeulah was first applied to the village by Edward APPLETON and Harrison BARRETT, members of the land company which first purchased the site of the village. It was named after Mr. APPLETON's mother, whose name was Beulah (meaning land of rest, or flowery land), to which was prefixed Glen, suggested by its location among the hills.
The first settlers were H. P. CLARK and William POOL, who came in 1852; but no steps were taken toward improving or utilizing the water-power and building up the village until 1857, when J. T. DILLINGHAM, Stephen DILLINGHAM, Edward SLADE and Joseph SWIFT bought the land which they platted into village lots.
They organized a company under the name SWIFT, DILLINGHAM & Co., developed the water-power, took over the first saw mill built in the town by H. P. CLARK, to which they added a flouring mill. The company also established the first store in the village in 1850. The building used for the mill was originally the first dwelling house erected in that vicinity by Donden FERGUSON in 1848. CLARK purchased the property and converted the house into a saw-mill.
Stephen DILLINGHAM built the "Glen House" for many years one of the leading hotels in that region. It was first used as a boarding house for the men employed on the construction work of the dam for the flouring mill, but in 1858 was opened as a public house, Gilbert STANNARD being the first landlord of the hostelry. Since that time it has been under many different managements.
When the railroad had been completed to Glenbeulah, a reception was held in the Glen House. The first train reached the village on March 20, 1860, with a number of Sheboygan residents on board. For nine years after the railroad had been completed to that point, Glenbeulah was the terminus of the Sheboygan & Mississippi railway.
In 1857 DILLINGHAM bought the CLARK saw-mill which he held for about 27 years, when it was taken over by R. A. VANALSTYNE. Several years later Gust BAUMANN acquired the mill property, which he operated for a few years. The old landmark was razed several years ago.
The flouring mill was purchased by John BAUERNFEIND and a man named MEYERS in 1873. They operated the mill until sixteen years ago when it was re-sold to George METZGER. A few years ago a man named SUCKOW bought the mill; but on Sunday preceding the day on which he intended to re-open the mill, Mr. SUCKOW was drowned in the mill-pond. Since then the mill has been idle.
The first blacksmith shop was built and operated by F. D. LADENBERGER in 1857. Prior to that time, Mr. LADENBERGER had been employed in DOCKSTADER's blacksmith shop at Greenbush. His first shop at Glenbeulah was a small frame building, but later he erected a stone building which he occupied up to the time he retired from active business. The quaint old shop, with its wooden roof tumbling in from decay, still stands upon the original site. Mr. LADENBERGER passed away in November, 1923, after a long, active business life.
The first postmaster in the village was Ed. SLADE, who kept the office in the store building which had been erected by the SWIFT-DILLINGHAM company. The office was established on February 7, 1860, having been moved at that time from Elkhart Lake. Other postmasters in regular order of succession were: John E. DENNIS; Ed. WEAVER; R. S. ARNOLD; Floyd B. HESLER; James F. MOONEY, Jr.; and Floyd B. HESLER, who was appointed for the second time twenty-four years ago, since which time he has remained postmaster.
The village grew slowly but steadily until in 1860 the population had reached 111.
The first school house built in the village was in 1862, containing both common and high school departments. Miss Isabella CLARK, later Mrs. VAN ALSTYNE, was the first teacher. In 1877 the free school was established with J. F. MORAN as principal. The first class to graduate included Fred BARRETT, Maud CARROLL, Anna DENNIS, Sarah DEVOY, and Minnie SHUFFLETOTHAM. In 1904 a four-year high school was established with R. M. RADSCH as principal.
On January 17, 1867, SWIFT lodge No. 78, I.O.O.F., was organized. The charter members were: W. M. CLARK; C.D. GORDON; I. B. CLARK; W. M. SCOTT; J. A. SMITH; Hiram SCHNELBY and R. A. VANALSTYNE.
The first meat market in the village was owned by John ROSSMAN, and the first shoe shop by Fred BECK, Sr.
In 1867, John ROSSMAN built the second hotel in the village, which he conducted for a number of years. Since he retired from the business, the hostelry has been under the management at different times by SCHWARTZ, then E. HEYN, R. G. ARNOLD, who conducted the hotel until four years ago, when it was taken over by the present proprietor James MOONEY. During the last several years a dance hall has been run in connection with the hotel.
In 1869, William SINZ built a hotel which he conducted for many years. Among other landlords since SINZ retired were Fred TITEL, John RAULS, M. FELDMAN and R. C. ARNOLD.
In 1873 a Lyceum hall was built in the village at a cost of $2,000.
Among the business firms of Glenbeulah are the following:
W. D. SCOTT & Co., dealers in lumber and a general line of building material, has been located in Glenbeulah since 1901, at which time Mr. SCOTT came from St. Cloud, Fond Du Lac county, where he had been engaged in a similar business since 1897, and bought the yard formerly owned and conducted by Henry H. HOCHREIN.
Mr. SCOTT was born in the city of Sheboygan and for a number of years was employed in the lumber department of a local chair factory, and later a purchasing agent for the same company.
In addition to all kinds of lumber the firm of W. D. SCOTT & Co. deals extensively in brick and tile, lime, cement and roofing materials.
Herman FROEHLICH, owner of a grist-mill and dealer in grain, flour, feed, hay, coal and seed, started in business in Glenbeulah about nine years ago, at which time he purchased from the William RAHR Malting company, the warehouse originally built by A. G. MAURER, and also the elevator owned and operated for a number of years by LAUN Bros.
Immediately after acquiring these properties, Mr. FROEHLICH installed machinery for grinding grist in the elevator building, and since that time the mill has been well patronized, the machinery being kept in operation continuously during the daytime, with the exception of Sunday.
Mr. FROEHLICH was born in the town of Greenbush where he has resided all his life, and where he is well and favorably known.
William MUELLER, popular hardware merchant at Glenbeulah, started in business there in 1914, when he opened a dry goods and grocery store which he conducted for about two years.
In 1916, he had a two-story brick garage erected in the center of the village, which he conducted as an automobile sales room and service station until 1920.
In 1918, he purchased the hardware business owned by F. E. WINN, and moved the entire stock from the building, which was directly across the street, to the new corner store building he now occupies.
Besides dealing in a general line of hardware, Mr. MUELLER handles farm implements and deals extensively in paint, oils and kindred lines.
F. W. CHAPMAN, sealer in general merchandise, started in business at Glenbeulah in 1921, at which time he purchased the stock of dry goods, notions and groceries of William GOELZER.
Mr. CHAPMAN was born in Greenbush, but has resided in the village of Glenbeulah for the past ten years. He is well and favorably known as a progressive young business man, throughout the vicinity.
The building which he occupies was erected by F. D. LADENBERGER, in 1893 for his son-in-law, William GOELZER. The building is on the same lot where Ed. SLADE's store was located. John E. WEAVER bought the property of SLADE, and conducted the store until it was destroyed by fire in 1892.
William F. PIEHL, who conducts a barber shop and confectionery store, has been engaged in this profession at Glenbeulah for the past twenty-five years, and in point of continuous years in business, is the oldest business establishment in the village.
Twelve years ago, he had his building remodeled, and since that time has taken orders for custom made men's suits, selling the clothing from a large stock of samples which he always has available to the trade.
The Glen Service Co., Inc., is successor to a business started on April 1, 1925, by Emmet COSGROVE. Mr. COSGROVE owned and conducted a garage in the village of Glenbeulah for two years, when the Glen Service Co., Inc. was organized and incorporated on April 1, 1927, with the following officers:
President - H. J. BERGEN
Vice-president - Emmet COSGROVE
Secretary and Treasurer - Ernest BAUMANN
The company is authorized agent in that locality for Chevrolet automobiles and also operates the Ford Sales and Service station.
Construction work on a modern tile garage, 85 by 35 feet, has been started, which the company expects will be completed and ready for its occupancy on June 1 of this year.
Mr. BERGEN has been engaged in the insurance and auctioneering business in that vicinity for several years, and is well known throughout the county, as district manager for the National Guardian Life Insurance company.
F. D. HOPPE, has been the owner of the meat market in Glenbeulah since 1919, having then purchased the shop of Fred BAUMANN, which he has continued to operate ever since.
Mr. HOPPE conducts a clean and wholesome market, dealing in all kinds of fresh, salted and smoked meats, which are handled under sanitary conditions. He also buys and sells livestock. He was born in the village of Glenbeulah and is well known throughout that section of the county.
The Glenbeulah State Bank was organized in March, 1913, with a capital of $10,000, which, a few years ago, was increased to $15,000. At the present time the bank has a surplus and undivided profits amounting to $14,000.
The building now occupied by the institution was erected in 1913.
The officers of the bank are as follows:
President - R. B. MELVIN
Cashier - E. L. ARNOLD
Assistant Cashier - Miss Alma A. ARNOLD
St. Fredolin's Catholic Church
St. Fredolin's congregation of Glenbeulah was organized in 1868, the first holy mass being held in a log house by the Rev. Benedict SMEDDING of Sheboygan. The sanctuary and sacristy of the church was built in 1865, Father Michael HAIDER serving the congregation until 1867. The edifice has been rebuilt and additions made on two or three different occasions.
Since Father HAIDER's pastorate, the following pastors have supplied the wants of the parish, the Revs. P. H. HENKEL, P. A. (?)CLEE, P. LAURENTIUS, P. DIDACUS, E. J. MEYER, Paschalis STRAUB, who bought the church bell. Father SIPPEL, pastor of the Catholic church at Elkhart Lake, now has charge of the church.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Glenbeulah was built in 1883, for the greater part of the time has been in a circuit comprising three different congregations. At the present time, the Rev. (?)ence SEIDENSPINNER, of Sheboygan conducts evening services.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids