Hardy Pennsylvanians Cleared Farm Land in a Fertile Territory
The first permanent white settlement in the town of Plymouth was made on May 8, 1845, by Isaac, John and Ransellar Thorpe, and William Bowen, who came from Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Their first night in that region was spent at the cold springs, near which "Cold Springs" tavern was later erected. These men were soon followed by Henry I. Davidson and his son, Thomas P.; Cyrus Johnson; J. D. Briggs; James DeGroff; Hiram Bishop; Henry Andrews; and Ezra and Almond Andrews.
The first tree was cut for a house by Ransellar Thorpe on the day of his arrival at the cold springs, and the log cabin was built on the southeast quarter of Section 23. This was the first house occupied in the township and was completed on May 12, 1845. In the fall of that year Thorpe cleared four acres of land on what was later Reuben Clark's farm, described as the S.W. 1/4 of the N.E. 1/4, Section 23, and he sowed seed for the first crop of winter wheat raised in the town. The yield was forty-four bushels to the acre.
When land was offered for sale by the government in 1836, the first purchaser was John Law, of London, England, who bought a part of Section 1, on August 13, of that year. On August 23, of the same year, Thomas Margrave, also of London, England, purchased all of Section 5. After numerous devises and bequests of the Margrave estate in England, in 1872, 310 1/8 acres of Section 5 were willed to Edward Sartoris, son-in-law of Gen. U. S. Grant, and in 1883 the land reverted to another member of the Margrave family. Under tax deed, dated June 23, 1890, Valentine Detling acquired title to the property, which was later divided into smaller parcels and changed hands many different times. Sartoris was in Sheboygan county for a few weeks during one summer looking after his land interest in the town of Plymouth.
The first sale of land for actual settlement was made by Cyrus Johnson on June 7, 1845.
It is claimed that the first frame dwelling house in the town was built for Martin M. Flint in the fall of 1846, but this cannot be verified.
Some of the finest and most productive farms in the county are situated in the eastern part of the town of Plymouth, but the western part is hilly and extremely rugged, the range of hills known as the Potash Kettles crossing through that section, extending north and south the entire length of the township.
The first survey of the town was made in 1835 by United States Engineers, Mullet, Brincke, and King. The river flowing through the township was named after Mullet. This stream, called by the Indians Ta-quit-qui-oc, meaning crooked river, furnishes valuable water power, especially to the city of Plymouth.
The town of Plymouth originally comprised the townships of Plymouth and Rhine and was organized for town purposes on April 3, 1849. The meeting that day was held in John W. Taylor's house, Daniel Hyatt being chosen as temporary chairman, L. A. Babcock as clerk, Albert Walton and Henry I. Davidson as inspectors.
The following town officers were elected:
Supervisors - Elon W. Baldwin, chairman; Daniel Hyatt and Francis Krackenberger; Clerk, James Cleveland; assessors, Adogniga Carter and Valentine Bube; superintendent of common schools, Franklin Bond; treasurer, Hiram Bishop; justice of the peace, J. F. Moore, Erastus C. Sessions, Henry Giffin and Julius Wolff; constables, Samuel C. Jerome, S. D. Wilson and Augustus Bettlehauser; sealer of weights and measures, Daniel Weary. Ninety votes were cast.
The first white child born in town was Anna, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus Johnson, on February 8, 1846. A boulder marker was erected near the spot where the Johnson home was located to commemorate in history an old Indian trail and also the birth of the first white child in the town of Plymouth.
The first death was an infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Mantz, in September, 1846.
The first marriage was that of S. V. R. Thorpe an Jane Patton, solemnized on March 12, 1847.
The first religious service was held in Isaac Thorpe's cabin by "Father Cole," an English Methodist, early in the summer of 1845. Occasional services were also conducted by "Elder Hitchcock," Baptist preacher from Sheboygan Falls.
In the fall of 1846, Henry I. Davidson and his son, Thomas P., came from Hartford, Conn., and built a log tavern near the cold springs, near the west limits of the present city of Plymouth. This tavern was located on the road from Sheboygan to Fond du Lac and was well patronized by emigrants on their way to the central and western part of the state. John W. Taylor later became owner of this tavern.
Henry I. Davidson was appointed the first postmaster in September, 1846, and he kept the office in his log tavern. It is said that the receipts for the first quarter were $2.50.
In addition to the names of pioneers already mentioned, the following list contains the names of other early settlers and the chronological order of their arrival in the township.
1845 - Luther Witt on Section 21; J. F. Moore on Section 16; and Jacob Mantz on Section 26.
1846 - Ira Bradford on Section 23; James Phelps on Section 10; J. S. Barber on Section 3; B. O. Coon on Section 11; W. D. Moore on Section 33; J. W. Hueppschen on Section 35; Albert Walton; Peter Rogers; J. T. Moxley; Elisha Taylor; J. W. Taylor; William Morse; James Coon; O. D. Andrews; E. F. Wright; and Martin M. Flint.
1847 - D. B. Drewry on Section 34; Charles Schasse on Section 20; William Weeks on Section 22; A. C. Grant on Section 14; J. S. Giffin near Valley House on Section 18; Jacob Koebel on Section 16; Richard Andrews on Section 9; J. H. Smart on Section 15; Jonah Brown; John Hilger; J. T. Flint; Carl Roehr; Carl Schwartz; J. F. Moore; George W. Barnard; C. B. Danley; Elon Baldwin; B. L. Nutt; Mr. Plugge; George Koebel; Eliab West; and H. N. Smith.
1848 - P. Brickbauer (miller) on Section 27; O. D. Andrews on Section 18; Darius Chapin on Section 8; G. W. Glidden; Lafayette Eastman; J. Ickstedt; S. C. Jerome; J. Cleveland; William WittE; John Keuper; William Burton; J. Vanderhoof; Solomon Dobbin; W. W. Warner; Horace Gardner; and Carl Krumrey.
1849 - T. Schauger on Section 11; E. E. Eastman on Section 28; Ara Wilson on Section 32; John Zinkgraf on Section 16; L. M. Evans on Section 16; J. Carroll; C. Miller and B. O. Coon; Mr. Eastman brought from New York the first horse owned in the village. It was a large bay names "Old Bill."
1850 - Amzi Leach (millwright) on Section 25; C. E. West on Section 35; John Nichols on Section 34; Hugh Jones (saw-mill) on Section 9; Ernst Kaestner (later prominent boot and shoe dealer in the village).
1851 - Asa Carpenter on Section 34; Nicholas Fischer on Section 34; Capt. J. Schlaich and his brother, Eberhard Schlaich; Louis Jones; Reuben Clark; J. Eckersley; G. W. Barker; and Messrs. Eberhardt, Voigt and Aderhold.
1852 - Alex Lindsey on Section 25; Richard Roehr on Section 27; Henry Krumrey on Section 23; J. D. Grove on Section 17; F. A. Eastman on Section 5; S. Littlefield; Tunis Swart.
1853 - P. J. Florence on Section 10; J. L. Barber on Section 4.
1854 - Christ Epple on Section 18; B. Dockstader on Section 23; William B. Sanford on Section 29; A. Wheeler on Section 15; J. Bidlingmaier on Section 15; and M. S. Velie on Section 3.
1855 - Gustav Schlerstedt on Section 16; August Uhlhorn on Section 16; and Ernst Banford on Section 18.
1857 - George Schaefer on Section 7; and G. W. Monk on Section 18.
1858 - G. W. Glidden on Section 28; and Fred Hein on Section 26.
1859 - J. K. Curtis on Section 33.
1861 - Obed Mattoon on Section 36.
1862 - J. V. P. Mabee on Section 10.
The following list contains the names of most of the residents, or owners of land in the town of Plymouth in the year 1870, giving the sections on which they were located or held title to property at that time:
Section 1 - F. Arndt; R. Becker; John Laab; P. Kleefisch; F. Baumann; P. Schneickert; F. Isserstedt; W. Voigt; C. Stolzenburg; J. Biskoping; L. Kleitz; and Julius Wolff.
Section 2 - C. Streblow; R. Becker; C. Adermann; A. Schwartz; H. Graef; William Arndt; A. Hoffmann; and F. Isserstedt.
Section 3 - Henry Graef; C. Muehlenhouer; A. Warner; C. Meyer; M. S. Velie; J. S. Barber; and J. Bidlingmaier.
Section 4 - P. Miller; William Edwards; J. L. Barber; E. LaBudde; F. Keppler; W. Scheele; and A. Preussler.
Section 5 - Edward Sartoris occupied the entire section with the exception of eighty acres which were owned by Julius Wolff.
Section 6 - M. Smith; J. Austin; F. Willis; J. Barber; J. T. Dillingham; M. Donahue; and T. Glynn.
Section 7 - M. Frayer; G. Warburton (lime kiln); George Schaefer; F. Hadler; and E. J. Smalley.
Section 8 - Darius Chapin; L. F. Eastman; J. Baldwin; H. Thalheim; A. Preussler; and P. Bock.
Section 9 - L. F. Eastman; George Koebel; L. Ziegler; A. Ziegler; R. A. Andrews; L. Helmer; and G. W. Jones.
Section 10 - M. Arndt; G. Dobbin; P. Schoensiegel; P. Vanderhoof; F. Keppler; J. Bidlingmeier; J. Phelps; P. J. Florence; J. Mabee; L. Helmer; W. Steele; and William Kuhlmey.
Section 11 - Called the New Jersey settlement on account of the first settlers having come from that state - Christ, Fischer; I. Schauger; B. O. Coon; S. Littlefield; J. Struve; J. W. Vanderhoof; J. Struve, Jr.; and J. Gessert.
Section 12 - H. Lueder; M. Conrad; H. Henze; M. Kropp; J. Laack; H. Reiner; J. Schrader; and H. Laack.
Section 13 - J. Suhrke; J. Laack; A. Manthei; P. Jaeger; I. Schauger; A. Baumann; C. H. Borges; G. Schmehling; W. Karstedt; A. Herzog; and S. Rickmeier.
Section 14 - Mrs. C. Smart; J. Brown; Nic. Krumrey; Allen Grant; Shaw estate; C. W. Prescott; C. Fischer; A. Laack; W. Suhrke; and J. Suhrke.
Section 15 - H. Wheeler; Mrs. C. Lampheer; P. Helmer; J. Bidlingmaier; C. Karpe; J. W. Heuppschen; J. Brown; H. Krumrey; J. F. Moore; J. Keuper; P. Karpe; and H. Smart.
Section 16 - Charles Selek; Mr. Knauer; J. Bidlingmaier; L. M. Evans; G. Schierstedt; J. F. Moore; J. Koebel; J. Zinkgraf; A. Uhlhorn; and I. Ziegler.
Section 17 - Lafayette Eastman; E. Smalley; E. F. Wright; M. G. Mann; C. B. Dawley; George Schaefer; Bessie Monk; M. O'Keefe; C. Goelzer; J. D. Grove; and Horace Gardner.
Section 18 - G. Monk; Mrs. E. Giffin; J. Wagnitz; O. D. Andrews; C. Epple; Sam Kennedy; M. Pfrang; and J. S. Giffin.
Section 19 - George Ubbelohde; Mr. Rhode; L. Smith; C. Pfrang; D. D. Andrews; J. Week; H. Miller; C. E. Kert; and J. Santee.
Section 20 - C. Schasse; W. W. Warner; J. Santee; T. Collins; J. Grueneisen; B. Wagner; J. D. Grove; and E. Henze.
Section 21 - William Swart; B. Wagner; George Miller; Mr. Liese; Luther Witt; J. F. Mehrman; and G. Mabee.
Section 22 - George Schachtner; C. Karpe; C. Nehrling; Mrs. Pool; F. Gates; F. Karpe; Mrs. C. Burkhardt; H. Bishop; and H. Krumrey.
Section 23 - R. Clark; B. Dockstader; C. Eberhardt; H. Eberhardt; Ira Bradford; G. W. Bradford; Charles Nutt; S. W. Mead; and William Beiersdorf.
Section - 24 - S. W. Mead; Charles Laack; H. Mohs; L.
Lyman; C. Blanke; E. Crocket; M. Guehlsdorf; F. Blanke; E. Edeler; and A. Herzog.
Section 25 - H. Kallenberg; D. Schellinger; C. Wippler; M. Eberhardt; C. Bub; A. Leach; C. Backhaus; C. Waterman; A. Lindsey; J. Kraus; F. Laack; and W. Barber.
Section 26 - F. Hein; Charles Wippler; G. Wippler; H. Gilman; J. W. Lee; J. Mantz; M. Eberhardt; and H. Eberhardt.
Section 27 - W. Wagner; F. Hein; A. Miller; Anna Voigt; C. Roehr; E. E. Eastman; F. Brickbauer; and Mrs. Wagner.
Section 28 - William Bunske; William Schwartz; J. J. Rowe; G. W. Glidden; J. Ickstadt; F. Andre; E. Goldner; N. Zerler; J. Adams; W. Burns; and L. Schoensigel.
Section 29 - William Koch; C. Vater; C. Wittkopp; A. Gensch; H. Worbee; C. Schaefer; F. Dittman; R. Vater; and William Sanford.
Section 30 - Mr. Gronsman; J. Kiel; J. Rohde; C. Miller; F. Harrington; C. Brown; and J. Brown.
Section 31 - L. W. Wright; Mr. Hemcke; William Iserlot; F. Witzel; Allen Carter; J. Mathias; M. Meyer; A. Meyer; F. Hilger.
Section 32 - F. Mueller; William Chapin; J. Orlopp; C. Witzel; R. R. Wilson; A. Wilson; Charles Joch; F. Vater; and F. Andre.
Section 33 - W. D. Moore; B. Eldridge; F. Vater; C. Lautenbach; H. Aderhold; G. Aderhold; M. L. Jones; and J. K. Curtis.
Section 34 - D. B. Drewry; J. Nichols; J. M. Graves; A. Carpenter; R. Roehr; Nick Fischer; S. Reed; and A. Schuler.
Section 35 - J. Maynard; C. Roehr; J. W. Hueppschen; C. E. West; A. Klunke; E. McDonald; and J. Bamford.
Section 36 - W. Burton; J. Bamford; J. Leach; J. Burton; M. Esly; E. Drewry; M. Eastman; A. R. Chandler; Obed Mattoon (chair round factory); A. Lindsey; Charles Waterman; and Mr. Kunz.
The earliest history relating to the settlement and subsequent development of the town of Plymouth centers in and near the present city of Plymouth. It was there that the first sawmill, grist and flouring mills, stores, schools, churches and other industries and buildings were started.
Beginning with the year 1846, there was a steady influx of settlers, some coming from eastern states and many emigrants from Germany. The development of the rural district, therefore, kept pace with the growth of the village of Plymouth, and the equal division of urban and interurban population tended to foster a co-operative spirit which added to the prosperity of all the early settlers in the town.
From its earliest settlement, Plymouth has been a literary center and noted for its social activities. The first debating society gathered at the Cold Springs tavern in 1847 and. seated around a carpenter's work bench, discussed the important happenings of the time. Henry I. Davidson and his son, Thomas P., brought an air of eastern refinement into the community and it was due mainly to their intellectual attainments that the tavern became the center of literary contests and the hub around which revolved the social activity of the village.
The real interest, therefore, of the town of Plymouth will be found in reviewing the history of that community, and the effect which the refining influence of the intellectual life of the village exercised over the entire rural district of the township, as well as extending far beyond the borders of the town.
The original plat of Plymouth comprised eighty acres, owned and platted by John W. Taylor and Horatio Smith in 1848. Three years later Quitquioc was platted by Martin M. Flint as a separate town, but by act of the state legislature, in 1852, the name was changed from Quitquioc to Plymouth. It was organized under city government in 1877, and since then the charter has been amended several times and the limits of the city extended.
The city of Plymouth is pleasantly located in the valley of the Mullet river, at the junction of the Fond du Lac division of the Chicago & North-Western and the former Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railways.
The first log schoolhouse was erected in 1847 and taught by Mr. Babcock of Minneapolis. This log house was located on what is now Main street, directly east of the brewery. Later it was replaced by a frame building in which Mrs. E. Clark and her daughter, Mary, resided for many years. The second teacher was Miss Plantina Stone, who later became the wife of S. Aikin of Winooski. J. W. Taylor went to Winooski on horseback for her, walking back to Plymouth while Miss Stone rode the horse.
The Quitquioc school house was erected later, and until the school district was consolidated, stood near the east limits of the present city, on what is now known as Eastern avenue.
The first grading of the joint district school was done by Miss Eliza Graves, in October, 1867. A. F. Warden came in 1873 and taught with great success for two years when he bought the Reporter of C. A. Wells, which newspaper he owned and published for a number of years. In 1877 he was married to Miss Mamie Eastman. Mr. Warden was succeeded as teacher by W. J. Brier who, in 1877, succeeded in getting the first high school of Plymouth, receiving the first state aid. The first class to graduate in this school, in 1879, included C. D. Eastman, M.C. Mead, Amasa Burton, Charles Maynard, William Bradford, and Larady Robinson.
In 1893 a new one-story frame grade school house was built, which was replaced by a two-story building in 1903. In 1904 the high school containing nine rooms was completed.
At the present time, in addition to a large modern grade and high school, the city supports another school building in which two lower grades are taught. The latter building stands south of the school campus on the lot where the Methodist church formerly stood. This congregation disbanded in the late '70's, after which the property changed owners several times before being bought by Henry C. Laack. After Mr. Laack had acquired the property, he had the church building moved to the south end of the lot where it was converted into a storage house for automobiles. The building was later destroyed by fire.
Mr. Laack erected a fine two-story brick residence on the lot where the Methodist church stood, which he and his family occupied for a number of years. Later the school district purchased the property and remodeled the lower floor suitable for school purposes.
A man named Behnke, for many years, conducted a bakery next door west of the old church building.
Joint school district No. 8, which included the city of Plymouth and part of the township of Plymouth, at the last school census had an enrollment of 1,120 pupils, while the two district and three joint district schools in the town had an enrollment of 459 pupils, making an aggregate enrollment in the entire township of 1,579 pupils.
The first tri-weekly newspaper was started in 1853.
The first tailor was J. T. Moxley and the second was the father of G. W. Zerler.
The first doctor was A. S. Doolittle, and the first doctress was "Grandma" Thorpe, who came to the village in 1845.
The first lawyer was Mr. Searles.
The first street car to run in Plymouth was on July 1, 1903, but ran for only a few months through the city to hold a franchise.
The first railroad was the Chicago & North Western, which was completed through the village in 1859.
The first telephone system was installed in 1894. About twenty subscribers bought instruments at $25 each and paid a service charge of 25 cents a month additional. Two years later the company was organized with George Huson, president; Carl Corbett, treasurer; F. Derrwald, secretary. On December 19, 1900, the company was re-organized with 444 stockholders at $25 a share. Charles Pfeifer was elected president and served in this capacity until May, 1926, at which time the system was taken over by the Wisconsin State Telephone association.
The first sawmill was started by Henry I. Davidson on July 1, 1848. The second sawmill was built and operated by George Barker, and was located on the present site of the waterworks plant. After the Civil war, the mill was burned and William Schwartz bought the land and erected the Central Flour Mills upon the site.
The first musical society was formed in August, 1856, with a membership of eight.
The Turnverein was formed in August, 1856, but soon died out for lack of interest. In May, 1870, another organization was admitted to the grand lodge of Turners. A hall was erected and used by the society until it was bought by joint school district No. 8. The high school now stands upon the site originally occupied by the Turner hall.
The German Lyceum was organized in 1864, and for a time met regularly in a hall erected by Eberhard Schlaich, and which stood next door west of the Central hotel, corner Stafford and E. Mill streets. This hall was later destroyed by fire in 1869. The same year the society was re-organized under a state charter and a new Lyceum hall was built at a cost of $5,500. This hall, which is located across the street directly south of the school campus, has been owned an occupied for the past 43 years by Charles Lautenbach.
About seventy years ago the German Farmers' verein was organized by a group of farmers and business men in the town of Plymouth, having for its object the mutual advancement of its membership. The verein met twice each month on Sunday afternoons and discussed matters related to farming and business. After the Lyceum hall was completed, the society met there, and each member who was competent led in the various discussions. Later the women became interested and brought produce and fancy work, which were exhibited in the hall, and from this modest beginning, it is said that the county fairs were started in Sheboygan county.
The Plymouth Union Cemetery association was organized on November 27, 1854, the first purchase being two acres of land which later formed the east end of the city cemetery. The first trustees were Tunis Swart, George Barnard, H. N. Smith, J. F. Moore, W. D. Lipe, and Enos Eastman, Sr. Mr. Eastman was secretary and treasurer of the association for many years. Later four more acres were added to the cemetery, and on August 18, 190?. the New Woodlawn cemetery, comprising ten acres, was purchased.
In 1890 Charles Pfeifer advocated moving the bodies from Union cemetery to a more favorable location, and converting the ground into a city park. This proposal, however, was rejected at the time. Mr. Pfeifer has been superintendent of both cemeteries for the past few years.
The Plank road was built to Sheboygan in 1851.
The Plymouth fire company was organized in 1867 as a hand brigade, but on October 5, the following year, a company was organized with William Elwell as foreman, Andrew Schneider, assistant and Otto Puhlmann, secretary. The first hand engine was purchased by individual subscription. The first fire test was Rossman's hall on May 7, 1869. August Scheibe was the first chief of the department and in regular order of succession, H. C. Bade; A. H. Schram; T. F. Ackermann; C. Wilke; and Herman Luedke, present city clerk, have acted as chiefs of the efficient fire fighting force.
During the early years, county fairs were held first at Sheboygan Falls and then at Sheboygan, but owing to the locations, were not successful. The first meeting of organization in Plymouth was held on October 10, 1896. H. Wheeler, Sr. was elected president; Otto Gaffron, secretary; and E. A. Dow, treasurer.
Twenty acres lying northeast of the city were bought and the grounds improved for the purpose of holding county fairs. Due to illness, Mr. Wheeler resigned and A. H. Schram became president, serving until 1905, when C. D. Eastman was elected to fill the office. Other presidents of the Sheboygan County Agricultural association, were: Henry Krumrey in 1909; P. K. Wheeler in 1917; I. B. Wensink in 1918; and C. J. Nehrling in 1923. The late Otto Gaffron was secretary until his death in 1923, when I. B. Wensink was chosen to fill the office.
The Public Library is the culmination of a movement started by the Hub Club on January 21, 1970(sic), with 750 books, most of which are still in the present library. The books were first kept in rented rooms in the business district, but on March 28, 1900, the Woman's Relief Corps, becoming interested in the welfare of the community, opened the first free reading room to the public. R. H. Hotchkiss was the first president of the board. G. W. Zerler has been a member of the board since it was first organized.
The Woman's club of Plymouth became deeply interested and started a vigorous campaign which resulted in raising sufficient funds to meet the requirements of the Carnegie aid, and the present spacious free library was completed in 1915, at an approximate cost of $10,000. Mrs. P. W. Wagner has been librarian since November 1, 1922.
The Plymouth Reporter was established in 1872 by A. F. Warden, and for many years was the only Democratic English language newspaper published in Sheboygan county. The plant changed hands several times until 1926 when it was purchased by H. W. Quirt and merged with the Review and Herald.
The first issue of the Plymouth Sun was printed on September 6, 1879, by L. K. Howe, as an independent weekly newspaper. The name was later changed to Herald and in 1926 was purchased by Mr. Quirt from Mrs. Otto Gaffron and amalgamated with the Review and Reporter.
The first fraternal society in Plymouth was the Plymouth Union Lodge, I.O.O.F. No. 71, which was organized in 1855. The lodge erected the three-story brick building, one of the finest buildings of its kind in the city, which it sold a few years ago.
The Hub club, a literary society, was organized in 1870. This was an amateur dramatic society which gained a wide reputation on account of its excellent performances. The club disbanded soon after the public library was built. Details regarding this club will be found in the biography of G. W. Zerler.
The Bank of Plymouth was established in 1873, with a cash capital of $15,000. The officers were: J. W. Dow, president; and E. A. Dow, cashier.
In 1867 William Schwartz started the Central Flour Mill which he continued to operate in connection with his many other interests for a number of years.
Probably no other man in Plymouth was more active than Mr. Schwartz in building up the city. Besides the Central Flour Mill. he owned a lumber yard, started Preussler Bros. in the furniture manufacturing business, also started another furniture factory at the river on Stafford street, later took over the roller flouring mill built originally for Henry I. Davidson, and aided in many other laudable enterprises which helped to develop the city of Plymouth and vicinity.
When the Milwaukee & Northern railway, now the C.M. & St. P. railway, was being constructed through the region, Mr. Schwartz gave the company, free of cost, a large portion of the right-of-way leading into Elkhart Lake, and assisted in grading a considerable distance of the road-bed between Plymouth and Elkhart Lake.
Many years ago Brickbauer & Klumb owned and operated the South Plymouth Mills, located about two miles south of Plymouth. For many years this mill did a thriving business in grinding flour, but during the past few years nothing but buck-wheat flour has been ground.
The postmasters at Plymouth in regular order of succession since 1846, when Henry I. Davidson was appointed the first, were: P. H. Smith, John W. Taylor, in 1849; William West in 1851; W. C. Barrows in 1852; William D. Lipe, P. H. Smith (second term) in 1852; John J. Hansen in 1856; Eberhard Schlaich in 1861; Martin M. Flint in 1862; Henry Brooks, 1868; Gustavus Karpe in 1869; H. W. Hostman in 1885; Michael Sweet in 1889; Charles D. Eastman in 1895; Gustav Albrecht in 1899; Charles Pfeifer in 1908; Gus Schiereck who served until 1923; when Al. Wiggin, who is now serving his second term, was appointed.
Hiram Conover built and operated the first cheese factory in the city. This was located at the corner of Main and Milwaukee streets on the original site of the Cold Springs tavern. The Phenix Cheese company now occupies the premises.
So rapid was the growth of Plymouth in 1870 the village contained five dry goods and grocery stores, two hardware stores, three shoe stores, two furniture stores, two liquor stores, five hotels, three gristmills, three carriage and wagon shops, one foundry and machine shop, one hub and spoke factory and one sash, door and blind factory.
The names of the merchants and manufacturers were: P. H. Smith, H. H. Huson, and G. W. Zerler; Otto Puhlmann and R. H. Hotchkiss, millers; F. Benfey; H. Boecher and R. R. Schorer; J. Meyer; William Berry; William Schwartz, miller; J. L. Dockstader, lumber yard; Julius Schlaich, drugs; Joseph Bereiter, barber; F. J. Detling, farm implements; Philip Zinkgraf, boot and shoe maker; William Fischer, hotel; D. S. Bagler & Son, produce dealers; Val Klumb, cigar manufacturer and saloon; Edward Welter, meat market; August and Robert Scheibe, harness makers; John and Louis Rossman, planing mill; J. F. Mehrmann, general store; P. H. and Sidney Smith, general store.
The city form of government was effected on May 8, 1877, when the charter was adopted. The first mayor was Otto Puhlmann, who was followed in regular order of succession by H. H. Huson; Otto Puhlman (second term); J. W. Dow in 1882; Otto Puhlmann (third term) in 1883; C. F. Albrecht in 1886; H. H. Huson (second term) in 1888; H. C. Bade in 1889; Charles Pfeifer in 1890; G. S. Mabee in 1891; Charles Pfeifer (second term) in 1892; W. C. Saeman in 1893; Louis Griese in 1895; G. A. Albrecht in 1896; G. F. Mabee (second term) in 1898; A. H. Schramm, R. R. Schorer, Theodore Ackerman in 1904; C. W. Starrett in 1906; (Mr. Starrett died and at a special election held on November 10, 1914, C. W. Jackson was elected to office) Louis Griese (second term) in 1916; J. C. Willard in 1918; W. C. Runge in 1922; and L. E. Schwaab in 1926.
The clerks in regular order of succession were: L. T. Bishop; D. M. Jackson; L. K. Howe; H. C. Bade; L. T. Bishop (second term) in 1881; H. C. Bade (second term) in 1883; G. L. Gilman in 1887; G. A. Albrecht in 1890; T. F. Ackerman in 1895; Herman Luedke in 1896; T. F. Volk in 1899; C. W. Jackson in 1908. Mr. Jackson resigned in 1912 and Herman Luedke was appointed to fill the vacancy and has continued as city clerk since that time.
The first council included - First Ward - B. L. Nutt and G. Weber. Second Ward - August Schiebe and D. S. Bagley. Mr. Nutt resigned on July 3, 1877. Henry Boecher was appointed to fill the vacancy and was elected alderman at a special election held in July of that year.
The present council comprises the following aldermen:
First Ward - C. F. Lahl and O. R. Pokel.
Second Ward - W. F. Piepkorn and Allen R. Wade.
The present city hall and engine house was erected in 1893. Before that time council meetings were held at different places.
The city owns and operates the water plant, which was recommended by the council the year previous. Early in the spring of 1901 the pipes for the water system were laid and a well drilled to a depth of 467 feet. The power house was erected among the stately trees on the bank of the Mullet river at the west end of the city, on grounds formerly occupied by William Schwartz's flour mill. After a satisfactory test, the city purchased the plant, a franchise having been granted by the city council in 1900, for the municipally-owned water plant costing about $70,000. Water is pumped from the well to a reservoir located on the hill west of the city and having a capacity of 12,000 barrels. There is a constant pressure of 86 pounds in the downtown section of the city, providing unexcelled fire protection.
In front of the power house is a Municipal Skat fountain which originated with Charles Pfeifer when he was mayor of the city. After a very successful skat tournament which resulted in a net profit of over $1,000, Mayor Pfeifer suggested that the skat club donate one half of the money to be used for a fountain. The magnificent piece of sculpture was unveiled and dedicated by the Plymouth Skat Club on Sunday, August 18, 1907. Herr Skat, noted sports writer for the Milwaukee Sentinel, delivered a stirring address upon this auspicious occasion.
Mr. Pfeifer has always been a patriotic citizen of Plymouth and has done much to advance the interests of the community. During his administration as mayor, a great portion of the sidewalks was laid and streets were improved. It is claimed that Plymouth is the first city in Wisconsin to pave its streets with reinforced concrete.
For many years Mr. Pfeifer owned and conducted a drug store in Plymouth, taking over the first drug store established in that place by a man named Dreher. While his son, Fred J., was attending the university at Madison, he sent many old relics, which had been in use in the drug store for half a century, to be placed in the historic drug store established at Madison by the State Historical society.
Plymouth maintains the "City Park," a beautiful recreational spot of twenty acres situated on Geneva street at the north side of the city, on Highway 57 leading to Elkhart Lake. The park is provided with both city water and spring water. The grounds are covered with a healthy growth of beautiful trees, mainly maple, and the others oak.
Playgrounds are provided for the children, and a camp site for tourists. The camp site is equipped with cooking facilities, including the free use of stoves and wood, free telephones service to the city, and free charcoal for roasting bratwurst or other meats. The grounds and buildings are well illuminated with electric lights, altogether forming an inviting spot for the residents of the city and vicinity, as well as for tourists passing through that section.
In contrast with the foregoing, it may interest many people to know that in 1859 there were frosts every month in the town of Plymouth, killing frosts occurring on July 4, and on August 28 and 29. In 1860, spring wheat and all seeding was finished by March 10.
Many years ago an Evangelical Lutheran church stood on the site near the present high school. The Rev. Mr. Off was the last pastor of this church before the congregation disbanded. The original house of worship was moved off the grounds to the north end of the city, where it was remodeled for dwelling purposes.
Among the prominent business men of Plymouth whose names do not appear in the regular review of the city, may be mentioned. Ernst Kaestner, pioneer shoe dealer, who started in business in the year 1850. He passed away on April 16, 1856, after which the boot and show business was carried on by his son, Louis. Another son, William C., died in October 1887. The two-story brick building erected by Mr. Kaestner is still one of the substantial business blocks on East Mill street.
Another man prominent in the upbuilding of the retail section of Plymouth was H. C. Laack, who after his father's death continued the hardware business by adding a stock of dry goods and groceries, and for a number of years this store was one of the largest and best arranged in Sheboygan county. In 1889 he built the first unit of the brick building located at the southwest corner of East Mill and Stafford streets, and after his death the widow had a large addition built part of which became the Hotel Laack.
One of the popular restaurants and boarding house in Plymouth is the Hub City Restaurant, located at the corner of North and East Mill streets, on the site of the former Quitquioc hotel. This place for a number of years has been owned and conducted by Gustave Mohs, son of Henry Mohs, Sr., a pioneer settler of the town of Plymouth. Excellent home-cooked meals by Mrs. Mohs, are served together with lunches at popular prices. Arno, a son assists in conducting the business.
No other location within the city limits has a more interesting history than this corner.
The records show that the first transfer of this property was made on May 28, 1846, at which time William Hueppschen paid the government $50 for 40 acres of land. In 1851 Martin M. Flint acquired the title by paying $300., and it was he who built what was known as the Quitquioc House, which soon after he sold to Henry P. Davidson who in turn transferred the property to Henry I. Davidson. In October, 1854, Lucy Bowman became owner and held title until December 13, 1882, when she sold the property to Joseph L. Santee. Santee sold to George W. Bradford in October, 1887, and in January 1893, Henry C. Laach (sic) purchased the property. Otto O. H. Carthaus then took possession of the hotel and during his occupancy fire destroyed the third floor of the building, which was used as a dance hall. On October 23, 1912 Philip J. Ott bought the hotel and property with the intention of moving in, but a sad tragedy soon after he purchased the hotel prevented it.
Gustave Mohs bought the property on November 27, 1914, paying $12,300. In 1924 he erected the two-story brick building which he now occupies as a restaurant.
It is interesting to note that a lot, 60 by 70 feet, a small part of the land which was originally bought for $50., was sold recently for the sum of $13,000, and that the remaining land with improvements is now worth approximately $25,000.
Since the first deed was recorded, there have been 101 different papers recorded relating to this property. These papers include deeds, mortgages, wills and other papers appertaining to transfers.
The Plymouth Pharmacy is successor to the first drug store established in the city of Plymouth. The business was started long before the Civil war by Dr. Dreher at the corner of Caroline and East Mill streets. Charles Pfeifer owned it for a number of years and sold it to a man named Jennings who in turn sold it to Dahlheider. Later Robert Fischer bought the business and moved the stock to the present building located at 522 East Mill street.
George C. Knoblauch, the present proprietor, purchased the store three years ago.
In addition to the regular line of drugs, the Plymouth Pharmacy deals in toilet preparations and toilet articles, kodaks, novelties, cigars and tobacco.
B. A. Gaffron, in point of continuous years in business, is the oldest hardware dealer in Plymouth. He started in business about 1888, forming a partnership with William Eberhardt, and opening a store in the building now occupied by the Kegler Memorial Works. In 1890, he bought out his partner and continued the hardware business alone until about 1895 when he formed a partnership with William Trowbridge and together they purchased the stock of the H. C. Laack hardware store, which was located in the building now occupied by the Princess motion picture theatre. In 1898 F. Kohl was taken into partnership and the firm name was changed to that of Gaffron, Trowbridge & Kohl Co. At the time the firm added a line of farm machinery to the regular hardware line. Soon after the firm removed to the building in which Bade's drug store is now located.
In 1903, Mr. Gaffron and O. Leifer formed a partnership and acquired the business which they carried on in a building located at the northeast corner of Division and East Mill streets. In 1920, this partnership was dissolved, Mr. Gaffron taking over the hardware and Mr. Leifer the tin shop.
Mr. Gaffron removed his stock in the building he now occupies at 402 East Mill street in 1925.
Besides carrying a complete stock of general hardware, Mr. Gaffron deals in stoves and ranges, paints and oils and a general line of builder's tools.
A. C. Besserdich, confectioner and dealer in novelties, chinaware, fruits, cigars and tobacco, at 217 East Main street, Plymouth, became identified with this business in 1906 when he took nover the store formerly occupied by Peter Arnholdt.
Mr. Besserdich carries an unusually large and diversified stock of merchandise, considering the size of his store, and enjoys a liberal patronage by people living in the city of Plymouth andd vicinity. In his stock of novelties may be found a variety of useful and ornamental articles made of wood, china and metal.
The Emmet W. Miller company was established in Plymouth in 1921 and started business as agents of the Chevrolet automobile in the Odd Fellows block on East Mill street. When the Chevrolet agency was sold, the Emmet W. Miller Co. became authorized agents in that territory for the Hudson, Essex and Chrysler automobiles, which they have handled for the past two years.
The salesrooms and service station is located at the southwest corner of East Mill and Milwaukee streets, where in addition to the automobiles the company deals in batteries, auto parts and accessories and radios. The service department is in charge of competent mechanics and patrons are assured of satisfactory repairing.
Prior to going into the automobile business, Mr. Miller, for eight years had been in the employ of the Stolper Bros. company and for two years with the Auto Supply company of Plymouth. He is a native of Plymouth, is well and favorably known in that locality.
One of the most important as well as one of the fast growing industries in Plymouth is that of the Badger Cement Tile company, which was organized and incorporated in 1920. The company occupies both buildings formerly used as the box factory on Western avenue, directly west of the C. M. & St. P. right-of-way.
Starting business in a comparatively small way making drain tile, the Badger Cement Tile Co. has extended the scope of its lines to cast stone building trim, for which there is a rapidly growing demand throughout the state of Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as well.
President - J. E. CurtisS
Secretary-Treasurer - A. E. Broker
Alvin F. Ackerman has been identified with the drug business in Plymouth for 27 years, having bought a half interest at that time in the Corbett Drug company.
The drug store was originally established by Prof. Brier, who was succeeded in business by Charles Faber. The latter moved into the Laack building soon after it was completed. Corbett & Corbett later purchased the business, which they carried on for a few years when Clark Jackson became financially interested in what was then known as the Corbett Drug company. Twelve years ago Mr. Ackerman became sole owner of the drug store. Besides being a registered pharmacist, Mr. Ackerman is also a graduate registered optician in Wisconsin.
In addition to his regular line of drugs, toilet articles and kindred lines, Mr. Ackerman has the exclusive agencies in that territory for Dr. Roberts remedies and the Eastman kodak.
His son Carl, who served his apprenticeship under him, and who is now a registered pharmacist, is manager of one of the Wahlgren chain of drug stores.
That the residents of Plymouth and vicinity are provided with best showing of films produced, is due to the progressiveness and enterprise of E. Pellettieri, who, on November 1, 1926, took over the Princess and the Majestic motion picture houses in that city.
Prior to coming to Plymouth, Mr. Pellettieri had long experience in the motion picture business, having conducted houses at Algoma and Oconto for a number of years.
At his theatres, he runs the films produced by First National, Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn.
One of the most substantial mutual fire insurance companies in Wisconsin is the Mutual Fire Insurance company of Plymouth, which was organized in 1894. The company confines its operation exclusively to the city of Plymouth, and is controlled and operated entirely by local people. The business is conducted at a minimum cost, the report for 1926, indicating that the annual expense, including fire losses paid and salaries, was only $3,377.75. The officers of the company are as follows: Chas. Pfeifer - president; R. A. Bade, vice-president; William Thurman, secretary; M. M. Hand, treasurer. These and Messrs. A. F. Selm, W. L. Kaestner, and O. A. Schiebe form the board of directors.
The "Shoe Hospital" at Plymouth was started by E. F. Eichenberger, in 1916. Originally there were four brothers who started a shoe factory on Main street, Plymouth, in 1901. Five years later, E. F. and his brother, August, bought the interest which their two brothers, A. J. and E. J. had in the shoe factory, and carried on the business until 1916, when E. F. Eichenberger became sole owner. The place of business was moved to a building on the north side of East Mill street, where a repair shop was continued by E. F. up to the present time.
Five years ago, he added a line of footwear for the entire family. One son, Gaylord, is associated with his father in the "Shoe Hospital" and Orel, another son, is now taking a course in chiropody with the intention of establishing himself in Plymouth after he completes this course.
A. J. Eichenberger, senior member of the above named firm of shoe dealers in Plymouth, came from a family of boot and shoe makers, his father, grandfather and great grandfather, and even his great grandmother having been in the same business in Switzerland. He was one of four brothers already mentioned as having started a shoe factory in Plymouth in 1901.
After the four brothers dissolved partnership, A. J. started a cobbling shop in what was known as the post office building, located on East Mill street. He disposed of this shop in 1905 and spent about a year in Europe. After he returned in October of that year, he started another repair shop on East Mill street. One year later he moved to his present quarters at 115 East Mill street, where he added a shoe stock to his repairing business. In 1926, he took his son Niles into partnership and the firm name was changed to that of A. J. Eichenberger & Son. This firm claims to have the second largest shoe stock in Sheboygan county.
The Meyer's Automotive Repair Shop at Plymouth, was started on January 7, this year, by Milton H. Meyer, in a building located on the east side of Caroline street between East Mill and Main streets, opposite the Curtiss hotel.
Mr. Meyer, for more than eight years, has been employed as mechanic in motor service shops in this city. This experience qualifies him as a competent automobile repair man, and his services are sought by many owners of motor cars.
The "Print Shop" located on the south side of Main street west of (?) street, has been owned and operated for the past four years by A. C. Erbstoeszer, who purchased the equipment from William Genett, who established the printery on June 18, 1893.
Prior to taking over the business Mr. Erbstoeszer had been employed at different times in the Review and Reporter printing plants, for a number of years. He is a competent printer and since taking over the plant has enjoyed a steadily increasing trade from that section of the county, where he is well and favorably known.
The printery is equipped with up-to-date presses, suitable for turning out the highest class work and all lines of poster, circular and commercial printing.
Mr. Erbstoeszer is having a modern building erected at the corner of Bradford and Collins street into which he expects to move on or before June 1. When this move is made, additional machinery will be added to increase the facilities of the plant.
The Wisconsin Motor Service, Inc. was established in Plymouth in February 1922, in a building at the southwest corner of Mill and Milwaukee streets, the company took temporary possession of this building until the present modern, fire-proof (?) garage was completed in (?) of the same year.
The company is distributor in the western part of the county for Oldsmobile, Studebaker and Dodge lines of automobiles, for which it has established an increasing demand.
In addition to the salesroom of automobiles, the Wisconsin Motor Service, Inc., maintains a high (?) service station which is one of the best equipped of its kind in the city. The garage and service station is located on the main traveled highway leading through the city and is well patronized by local (?) car owners and tourist trade as well.
The company was incorporated in February, 1927, and the officers are as follows:
President and sales manager - L. Winkler
Vice-president - A. J. Gerber
Secretary-Treasurer - G. A. Manthei)
Assistant sales manager - Paul (???)
The Curtiss Hotel at Plymouth, (?) on January 17, of this year, has been under the management of William M. Bowers, who at that time, bought the furniture and other equipment and leased the building.
Mr. Bowers has been conducting (?) in Wisconsin for about eighteen years, and is well and favorably known among commercial travelers throughout the state. For ten years he owned and conducted a hostelry at Delavan and for eight years at F. Atkinson. Both of these places had been run down; but were rejuvenated and made popular by Mr. Bowers.
One of the most important manufacturing industries in Plymouth is that of the Plymouth Radio & Phonograph company, which started in business in 1919, in the building originally occupied by the veneer company and later Mr. Kade.
The company specializes in manufacturing and selling the Plymouth Super-single radio set and the Pathephonic phonograph. The former is a seven-tube, single dial control radio set, which, by reason of its simple construction and superior workmanship, produces excellent results and has given general satisfaction to all purchasers. The Pathephonic is an unusual instrument, the company holding its own patent of special devices which make this equal to any high class phonograph on the market.
The officers of the company are as follows:
President and general manager - W. H. Thommen
Vice-president - H. W. Bolens
Secretary-Treasurer - F. D. McIntyre
Among the Chiropractors in Wisconsin, recognized as conservative and scientific practitioners, none stand out more prominently than does Alvin D. Frantz who has been located at Plymouth for the past twelve years. During this time Mr. Frantz has gained an ever increasing list of patients.
When the state board of examiners in chiropractic was created by act of legislature, Mr. Frantz was signally honored by being appointed chairman of this important body. The work connected with this office being statewide in scope, had brought Mr. Frantz in personal contact with a large number of chiropractors and medical men thereby giving him an extensive acquaintance throughout the state.
His office is located in the Majestic building, 404 East Mill street.
The Pantry, Plymouth's popular tea rooms and restaurant, was formally opened to the public on Sunday, January 9 of this year, by Mrs. Minnie Gilman and Mrs. Elsie Timm, two well-known cateresses, who for about three years conducted a restaurant in the rear of Bade's drug store.
The Pantry, which is located in the Vahldieck building, corner East Mill and Smith streets, was remodeled and made into one of the most attractive restaurants in the state. Day and night services is available to the public. Mesdames Gilman and Timm specializing in serving excellent Sunday chicken dinner. They also cater to the serving of lunches for parties and other social events. The cuisine of the Pantry is unexcelled, all foods being prepared in a wholesome manner under the best sanitary conditions.
The name of J. H. Timm has been identified with the business development of Plymouth for nearly half a century. In 1878, Mr. Timm became a miller in the flouring mill originally built by Henry I. Davidson. In 1886, he formed a partnership with Bev. Crockett and under the firm name of Timm & Co., operated this mill and later took over the Central Flour Mills, which the company operated in connection with the Roller Mills at the east end of the city. About 1888, Mr. Timm became the sole owner of the business and he opened a retail establishment for the sale of flour and feed in the old Schwartz hub and spoke factory.
In 1892, he became associated with Huson Bros., who conducted a farm implement business in a building located at the northeast corner of East Mill and Stafford streets. Soon after this firm was organized under the name of Huson Bros. & Timm Co., Mr. Timm bought the Huson Bros. interest and carried on the business alone. The old frame building was moved into the street where the business was continued until the present new two-story brick building was completed, when the frame building was moved to the rear of the lot on Stafford street where it is still being used as a warehouse.
In 1898, Mr. Timm took his son, O. W. Timm into partnership under the firm name of J. H. Timm Co., and hardware was added to the farm implement and flour and feed lines. About six years ago another son, Harry and MR. Timm's son-in-law, August Ronde were taken in as partners.
In 1917, Mr. Timm took over the factory building directly west of the railway station, originally erected for the A. W. Schramm furniture factory and since that time has dealt extensively in wood, coal, lime, cement and tile.
Ben and Dave Present formed a partnership 22 years ago and began dealing in farm and draft horses in West Bend, Wis. Their reputation for square dealing extended to distant points, especially to Sheboygan county from which they received considerable business. Because of the increasing sales made to farmers residing in the western part of the county, Present Bros. were encouraged to establish a second stable at Plymouth two years ago.
The Plymouth stables were successful from the start, result in steady increasing sales of horses.
At the present time Present Bros. deal exclusively in Iowa draft and farm horses which are sold on 30 days trial to insure satisfaction to the purchaser. All horses are sold on a guarantee, and another horse is exchanged or money refunded to dissatisfied purchasers.
Since the first of this year over 250 horses have been sold from the Plymouth site.
The Kegler Memorial Works at Plymouth, was established in 1889 by G. F. Kegler, who purchased the business originally started by Henry Nickel. Prior to entering this business Mr. Kegler had conducted a grocery store. He disposed of this business and bought an interest in the marble works with Nickel, later becoming sole owner. Mr. Kegler died in November, 1922, and since that time the business has been carried on by his widow, who is ably assisted by her brother, A. R. Gehlhoff, the latter acting as manager of the business.
The office and workshop is located near the east end of East Mill street, where expert stone cutters are employed in turning out monuments and markers of all descriptions, which are sold in all parts of the state.
Torke Bros., dealers in automobiles and auto supplies, began business in Plymouth in 1907 when they formed a partnership and established a garage in a comparatively small building located at the triangle, where Eastern avenue and East Mill intersect directly west of the bridge. They carried on the business in the old building until 1912, when the rapidly increasing volume of business necessitated larger floor space. The frame building was razed and the present modern three-story and basement reinforced concrete and brick structure was erected in its place.
Torke Bros. are agents in that locality for the Overland and Willys-Knight automobiles, dealers in farm implements, auto accessories, radios and a general line of auto and radio equipment. A spacious garage is located at one end of the building, in which an efficient service station is maintained.
The firm operates an efficient taxi service and specializes in long distance moving and has ample storage room for furniture.
Torke Bros., Herman, Emil and Ernst, who comprise the firm, are the sons of Gottlieb Torke, Civil war veteran and well known pioneer who came to the town of Sherman in 1859. Since coming to Plymouth, they have won the confidence of the people in that vicinity and have enjoyed a steady increase in their business.
The H-W Motor company of Plymouth was incorporated on August 1, 1924, having taken over the Chevrolet agency in that district. The main office and salesroom is located in the Odd Fellows block on East Mill street, while the service station is located in another building at the rear.
The company is sole distributor for the Chevrolet automobile in the western half of Sheboygan county and has the privilege of soliciting business in adjoining communities.
The officers of the company are as follows:
President - Calvin Helming
Vice-President and Treasurer - Victor Wernecke
Secretary - Amandus Krampe
All three men are well known throughout Sheboygan county. Mr. Helming was associated with his brothers in Sheboygan for five years; Mr. Wernecke had charge of the Ford service department at Plymouth for five years, and Mr. Krampe was bookkeeper for the former Chevrolet agency for a number of years.
The Schibilsky Motor company of Plymouth is successor to Dahl Bros., who were one of several firms which, at different periods, carried on a business that was established many years ago by Deichert & Knowles and Charles Arndt. Deichert & Knowles were dealers in farm implements in the building originally occupied as the State Bank of Plymouth. Charles Arndt about that time opened the first garage in Plymouth, and a year after Deichert & Knowles started in business Arndt bought Knowles' interest and carried on the implement and garage business with Deichert. Two years later Deichert & Arndt began dealing in automobiles and two years after that they built what since has been known as the Ford Garage. William Hare was taken in and a company incorporated under the name of Central Garage & Implement company. Dahl Bros. later acquired the business and moved across the street with their implement line.
The Schibilsky Motor company was organized and incorporated in August, 1923, with J. J. Schibilsky as general manager. Mr. Schibilsky formerly was in the automobile business at Kenosha. The company now operates under a contract with the Ford company, acting as distributor of the Ford and Fordson autos, trucks and tractors in Plymouth and vicinity.
Besides ample display and sales rooms, the company maintains an efficient service department, which recently was enlarged at a cost of $2,000 and equipped with appliances necessary to turn out repair work at the minimum price set by the Ford company. The garage owned by this company is one of the finest in the state for a city of the same class as Plymouth.
The Radloff Vulcanizing Shop at Plymouth, was established about 17 years ago by W. F. Radloff, sole owner of the business. He started in a small way in a portion of the shoe store owned by his father, William Radloff, next door west. The work increased so rapidly that in order to keep pace with the business, ten years ago he moved to his present quarters, which are located at 314 East Mill street.
Besides doing all kinds of vulcanizing, Mr. Radloff deals in a general line of tires.
George L. Wittkopp, popular undertaker and furniture dealer at Plymouth, started in business in March 1910, when he purchased the business established by A. H. Schram near the east end of Mill street. Five years after he took over the business, Mr. Wittkopp moved his stock of furniture into the Vahldick building, where he remained until five years ago when he removed to his present commodious building on the south side of East Mill street. This is now one of the largest and finest stores of its kind in the county.
Mr. Wittkopp carries a large stock of all kinds of furniture, floor coverings, sewing machines, pictures and curtains. He is well known throughout Sheboygan county and points outside the county, and has always received a very liberal patronage from people living in that vicinity.
Miss M. M. Kaestner, the popular milliner at Plymouth, started in business in August, 1920, prior to that time having been employed as a hat trimmer. She has lived in Plymouth all her life and is well and favorably known throughout that section of the county.
In her store, which is located at 201 East Main street, Miss Kaestner carries a large and well selected stock of all kinds of ladies and misses hats, providing a choice equal to that offered by shops in Larger cities.
Besides hats, she deals extensively in ladies ready-to-wear garments.
The Farmers Implement company, at Plymouth, was organized about four years ago when Ed. Blanke, John H. Fischer and William Fischer, took over the implement department of the former Central Garage & Implement company, after Dahl Bros. had purchased that business. Mr. Blanke was an active member of the Central Garage & Implement company, and the two Mr. Fishers were connected with the same organization during its last two years in business.
After carrying on the business on East Mill street for one year, the Farmers Implement company erected a cement block structure, which they now occupy on Stafford street north of East Mill street.
The Farmers Implement company handles the International Harvester company's machinery, specializing in selling McCormick and the Deering line of farm implements. By means of a daily transfer line between Plymouth and Milwaukee, the company is able to give 24 hours' delivery service to patrons on any machine or parts not kept in stock at the time it is wanted.
In addition to farm machinery the company deals in milking machines and carries a large stock of parts for all kinds of implements used on the farm.
C. O. Dahle, jeweler, has conducted a jewelry store in Plymouth for twenty years, having then bought out the business established many years before by H. W. Fields. In 1924, he bought out C. C. Corbett and consolidated to two stocks of jewelry in the former Corbett store, located at 213 East Mill street.
Mr. Dahle is an expert watch repairer and among his other mechanical accomplishments has perfected an intricate machine for the making of a patented device known as an adjustable gold cap bridge protector. This little device is attached to the wire E string used on violins for protecting the bridge of the instrument. It is also used to advantage on fine strings of any instrument having a bridge over which wires are strung.
The machine which Mr. Dahle has perfected, turns out these caps with one operation, and since he first started making them, has had several demands for the device by musicians, who claim that it not only does protect the bridge but that it also adds materially to the tone produced by the instrument. Mr. Dahle sells these caps on a royalty basis.
In 1907, two sisters, the Misses E. and A. Pieper, started manufacturing ladies underwear in a small two-story frame building on Caroline street a few doors north of E. Mill street, in the city of Plymouth. This building formerly was used as a bottling works.
The business at the start was confined exclusively to the manufacture and wholesale distribution of underwear, but in 1910 the building was enlarged and greatly improved in order to provide room for a retail department.
At that time the Misses Pieper installed additional machines and began making draperies, towels, fancy linens and art goods of all description. This department proved a decided success and the wholesaling of goods manufactured by the company was gradually abandoned. During the recent years the business has been exclusively retail, the company specializing in individual orders.
At the present time, ten machines are used in the manufacturing department of the business.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids