Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 710 - 711
Frederick Gustav Lintz is well remembered by the old settlers as a genial whole-souled man, who made a friend of
nearly every one he met. Trier, Rhenish-Prussia, Germany, is the land of his birth, and the date March 5, 1814. Mr.
Lintz, who was a well-educated man, after attending the schools of his native place went to Belgium, where he
received a business education. Returning to Trier, he entered a bank, in which he remained for some time. From
there he went to Metz, France, to engage in the commission business, later he carried on the same line of business
at Havre, on a more extensive scale. Having heard much concerning the United States, and being desirous to see the
country, he obtained permission to make a visit here.
Coining to this country, he spent some two years in Louisiana, Texas and other Southern States, when he received
word from home that he must either return and serve the required time as a soldier, or forfeit his inheritance. He
decided to do the former, and spent one year in the German army. Later he went to Paris, France, and remained three
years in the School of Arts. At the expiration of that period he became secretary in his uncle's extensive
rolling-mills at Saarbruecken, St. Inwer, on the Moselle. Mr. Lintz was related to the noted Stump family, and on
the occasion of the visit to the Industrial Convention at Trier of the well-known manufacturer bearing that name,
and Mr. Krupp, who has a worldwide reputation for the mammoth guns which he has made, these gentlemen were
entertained at the Lintz home. The brother of our subject, Louis Lintz, made a record as a civil engineer almost
unparalleled. He it was that did the engineering on the first railroad constructed in Egypt. He also put the first
steamship on the River Nile. For his extraordinary accomplishments in the line of his profession, he received the
highest commendation from distinguished men of Germany, France, Belgium and Turkey. From the Sultan of the
last-named country, in recognition of his marked ability, he received as a present a badge studded with diamonds.
This valued token was inherited by Mr. Lintz of this sketch and is still in the possession of his family, the
precious stones having been set into ear-rings, breastpins, rings, etc. It is prized not so much because of its
intrinsic value, as because it shows the high regard in which a member of the family was held.
Mr. Lintz whose name' heads this record was married at Coblentz, Germany, April 27, 1847; the lady of his choice
being Miss Anna M. Kornreich, who was a native of that city, born November 27, 1818. Her father, Martin Kornreich,
owned a vineyard, and ran a store and hotel in the suburbs of Coblentz. He was a prominent man in his community,
being for three years Mayor of the place. Mrs. Lintz was educated at Aschaffenburg, Bavaria, Germany, both in the
French and German languages, while Mr. Lintz was educated in these languages and in the English as well.
Upon marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lintz embarked at Antwerp for New York. So slow were the means of transportation in
those days that it took eight weeks to cross the ocean. Their first location was at New London, N. Y. Their
marriage in Germany had been solemnized by a magistrate, but not satisfied with the civil marriage, they had a
ceremony performed by a priest, thus making their union valid both from a civil and an ecclesiastical standpoint.
Having read a book describing different localities in Wisconsin, Mrs. Lintz favored coming to Sheboygan County,
but her husband was disposed to locate in the South. The lady's wishes were respected, hence they came to this
county and located north of Sheboygan.
From time to time Mr. Lintz purchased land, until he owned over one thousand acres. He built a pier, known as the
Lintz Pier, and did a big business in cutting and shipping wood, selling in one year $24,000 worth. A man of large
means and commendable liberality, he helped many of the farmers in paying for their land. Some six years after
coming to this county, he removed to Sheboygan City, where for thirty years he did an extensive business in general
merchandising, also in handling lumber. The*active one in conducting the business, however, was Mrs. Lintz, who
did the buying and selling, in fact was acquainted with all the details of his business. She is a woman of
splendid judgment and good executive ability, and to her is due all credit for the successful manner in which
their business undertakings were conducted. Mr. Lintz had been reared in affluence, never having known what it
was to struggle for a livelihood, as his father was Master of the Royal Forest and a man of wealth and distinction.
Being well informed and a fluent writer, he took more interest in preparing a thoughtful article for the press
than in measuring off so many yards of calico for so many cents. A lover of liberty, he became a strong
anti-slavery advocate, and helped to rock the cradle in which the infant Republican party was nurtured.
On the 9th of September, 1884, he was called to his final rest, leaving a family of six children. Anna is the wife
of G. A. DeWilde; Charlotte married Emil Ladwig; Jennie is the wife of Dr. W. O. St. Sure; Henrietta became the
wife of Henry Krumrey; Frances wedded Gustav Kaestner, and Fannie is the wife of Charles Halbach. Henrietta and
Frances reside at Plymouth, while all the rest make their home in Sheboygan. At his death Mr. Lintz left his
family well provided for. In manner he was modest and unassuming, and though he took an active part in politics
and served as a member of the City Council, he never sought public preferment.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved