Search billions of records on

Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Genealogy & History

This page is part of the site located at There is no charge or fee to access this site or any information on it. If you have arrived here from somewhere else, such as a pay site, and are in a frame, you can click the above url to access this page directly.

Michael Sweet

Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 671 - 672

Michael Sweet, Postmaster at Plymouth, is a representative of one of the pioneer families of Sheboygan County, and is also a veteran soldier of the late war. Mr. Sweet was born near Kingston, Canada, May 25, 1842. His father was Thomas Sweet, and his mother's maiden name was Catherine Doyl. The former was born in the State of New York in 1816, and was a son of Luther Sweet. The family was originally from Rhode Island and of English ancestry. Thomas Sweet went to Canada when a young man, where he was married and where the subject of this sketch was born. Later the family removed to Petersburg, Rensselaer County, N. Y., and in 1848, when Michael Sweet was six years of age, came to Sheboygan County. Although so young, he remembers quite distinctly the journey westward, which, as was customary in those early days with the emigrant from eastern New York, was by the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and thence to Sheboygan around the Lakes by steamer. "The Albany" was the name of the steamer on which the family made their lake trip.

A settlement was made on section 8, in the town of Greenbush. The land on which the family settled was wholly unimproved, but in time became well cultivated and was the family's permanent residence. There the father died, June 11, 1888, at the age of seventy-two years. Mr. Sweet, Sr., was an industrious and worthy citizen, leading a rather retired life. In his political views, he was a Republican. He was an attendant of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while Mrs. Sweet was a devout Catholic. The death of the wife and mother preceded that of her husband, it having occurred October 28, 1878. They were the parents of eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom survive the parents. The subject of this article and his twin brother, Luther Sweet, of Wakefield, Mich., are the eldest of the family; Sarah, the eldest daughter, is the wife of Albert Keach, of the town of Greenbush, Sheboygan County; Edward resides at Burnett Station, Dodge County, Wis.; Mary is the wife of Cyrus Keach, of Greenbush Township; John resides at Wakefield, Mich.; Scott lives on the old homestead in Greenbush; Jane, the youngest, is the wife of Samuel Ray, of Burnett Station, Dodge County.

Michael Sweet enlisted August 13, 1862, in Company B, Twenty-seventh Regiment Wisconsin Infantry, and served till the close of the war. The regiment went into camp at Camp Washburn, Milwaukee, and thence to Camp Seigel, in the same city. About the 1st of January following, the latter was burned, together with all of the arms and camp equipments{sic} of the soldiers, because of which they were returned to Camp Washburn. In March, 1863, the Twenty-seventh Regiment started for the front, going directly to Columbus, Ky. It took part in the siege of Vicksburg, after which it went to Helena, Ark., and thence to Little Rock. From the latter place, it set out to co-operate with Gen. Banks in the ill-fated Red River expedition. At Jenkins' Ford, while retreating from the Confederates, the Union forces sustained a severe loss. Returning to Little Rock, a force, including the Twenty-seventh Regiment, was sent in pursuit of Price when he made his last raid in Missouri. The regiment returned to Little Rock, from which point it was sent to Algiers, La., and then to Mobile Point, near Ft. Gaines. From there it marched eighty-five miles up the bay to Spanish Fort and was for thirteen days and nights engaged in the siege of that Confederate stronghold. After the surrender of Spanish Fort, it crossed the bay to the city of Mobile and went up the river some eighty-five miles in pursuit of Confederate transports, blockade-runners and rams, that had escaped up the bay. These, with Gen. Forest, surrendered and the command returned to Mobile with the prisoners. Three weeks later the command was ordered to Texas and was mustered out at Brownsville, in that State, August 29, 1865, at once returning to Madison, Wis., where the regiment was discharged.

Mr. Sweet was not seriously wounded by the bullets of the enemy, although he participated in many severe engagements. However, he was not exempt from the ills incident to the soldier's life. His severest trouble was an affection of scurvy, which he contracted in the service, and from which he has suffered greatly. On returning from the army, he engaged in farming in the town of Greenbush to such an extent as he was physically able. In 1875, he engaged in the sale of farm implements, which he continued until 1889, when he was commissioned Postmaster at Plymouth, his appointment dating June 20 of that year.

Mr. Sweet has been three times married. On October 22, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Augusta Ludawig who died May 13, 1870. His second wife was Mary Card, to whom he was married in December, 1872, and who died December 27, 1875. His third and present wife was Amelia Labudde, a daughter of John Labudde, of the town of Greenbush. Mrs. Sweet was born in Germany, August 14, 1856. By this marriage three children have been born: Willard J., Huson L. and Katherine.

Mr. Sweet is present Commander of H. P. Davidson Post, G. A. R. He is also a member of the orders of Royal Arcanum and Modern Woodmen. In politics, he is a Republican. He was a faithful soldier for the preservation of the Union, and is a man highly esteemed and respected by his fellow-men.

Return to the Sheboygan Page

Return to Bios page

If you have any question, e-mail Debie

Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved