Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 638 - 639
Capt. August Rieboldt, senior member of the firm of Rieboldt, Wolter & Co., ship-builders and harbor contractors of
Sheboygan, was one of the early ship-carpenters of this place, in what was known as A. P. Lyman's Yards. The
present business he established, in company with Joseph Wolter, in 1885. For three years they conducted the
shipyard at Sheboygan, under the firm name of Rieboldt & Wolter, and in 1888 Conrad Starkey, of Milwaukee, was
admitted as a partner, and the existing firm was formed, C. H. Starkey, son of Conrad Starkey, representing his
father's interest in the Sheboygan office. This company has all the facilities for all kinds of work in their line,
with a large dry-dock for repair work. Since starting in business here, they have built some thirty-one vessels,
steamers, steam-barges and tugs, dredges and dump-scows. Among the steam crafts built by them may be named the
steamer "Helena," three hundred and twelve feet long; the steamer "Marion," two hundred and twenty-five feet long;
the steam barge "Schroeder," and the two large Milwaukee tugs, the "Cataract" and the "James Foley." They also
built the steamer "A. E. Shores, Jr." This company also built the Sheboygan Dredge and Dock Company's plant,
consisting of two dredges and six scows. Rieboldt, Wolter & Co. give employment in busy seasons to upward of one
hundred and seventy-five men, and theirs is acknowledged an important industry of Sheboygan. Their shipyard is
situated on the south bank of the Sheboygan River, near the harbor.
Mr. Rieboldt was born in the province of Brandenburg, Germany, January 23, 1849, and is a son of C. Frederick and
Louise (Rosenthal) Rieboldt, who were also natives of Germany. Capt. Rieboldt emigrated to America with his parents
in 1851, the family locating at Sheboygan, where they still reside. The son was reared and educated in this city.
In 1869 he went to Milwaukee and worked in the shipyard of Wolf & Davidson for sixteen years. He also sailed on
their vessels, attaining the rank of captain. He continued in the service of that company until 1885, when he
formed the partnership with Mr. Wolter in their present business.
On the 5th of October, 1876, Mr. Rieboldt was married in Milwaukee to Miss Maria Davidson. Mrs. Rieboldt was born
in that city, and is a daughter of Capt. E. Davidson, a well-known lake captain. Six sons and one daughter have
been born to Capt. and Mrs. ^Rieboldt, the names of the children being as follows: Edmund F., Henry L., August W.,
Frederick H., Arthur D., Mabel F. and Clarence E. Mr. Rieboldt is a Republican in politics, and has served four
years as Alderman from the Fourth Ward. He is a member of the Knights of Maccabees, Jonathan Tent No. 16; also a
member of Lodge No. 517, Harugari.
He is known as an enterprising business man, a master of his trade, one who prides himself upon turning out only
good work, and living up to the spirit as well as the letter of his contracts.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved