Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 584 - 585
Herman August Muehlmeier, Inspector of the Mission House, located in Herman Township, is well known throughout the
State as an educator. - He was born near the city of Lippe-Detmold, in the province bearing the same name, in
Germany, April 25, 1829. His father, who also bore the Christian name of Herman, died in the Fatherland. In 1847,
the mother with her five children, one son and four daughters, sailed from Bremen to New Orleans. There were about
three hundred who emigrated at the same time, because of religious oppression, the Government refusing to let the
Heidelburg Catechism be taught.
In his native country, Mr. Muehlmeier had enjoyed good educational privileges. After coming to this country he
prepared himself for college, and entered an institution near Hermann, Mo. Later he attended at Des Peres, near St.
Louis, and completed his theological course in 1853, at a seminary then situated at Mercersburgh, Pa., now at
Lancaster. His first charge was as a missionary to Sheboygan, where he established in the same year, 1853, Zion
Church, remaining its pastor a little over five years. At the expiration of that period he became pastor of Emanuel
Church in the town of Herman. Soon after locating there, Mr. Muehlmeier, in connection with Dr. J. Bossard at that
time pastor of Saron's Church, began to give instruction at their own homes to young men who wished to enter the
ministry or take up the profession of teaching. How from this small beginning the Mission House has grown will be
told in the history of that institution found elsewhere in this work. During the years that have come and gone,
about six hundred young men have received instruction at this institution, of whom one hundred and eighty have
entered the ministry. For over thirty years Mr. Muehlmeier has been connected with the Mission House, and the
success with which the institution has met is in a large degree due to his untiring effort and efficient
On the 31st of October, 1853, Mr. Muehlmeier and Miss Sophia Waldecker were united in marriage at Sheboygan. Mrs.
Muehlmeier, who is also a native of Lippe-Detmold, came to America on the same ship as her husband. Six children
have blessed this union. Clara wedded Rev. W. Stieneker, a minister of the German Reformed Church at Eureka, S.
Dak.; Sila is the wife of J. W. Grosshusch, A. M., professor of mathematics and physics in the Mission House; Otto,
who is a graduate both of the literary and theological departments of that institution, and who has been actively
engaged in the ministry, is now connected with the school as House-Father; Meta became the wife of Dr. Paul
Kuentzel, of Reeseville, Dodge County; Albert, who graduated from the Mission House, and also from McCormick
Seminary, of Chicago, is pastor of the church at Medina, Outagamie County; and Amelia is at home.
During his many years as instructor, Mr. Muehlmeier has come in contact with many of the prominent educators
throughout the United States, and is well known in educational circles. The school which he has worked so earnestly
to build up will stand in after years as a monument to his devotion to the cause of education, while the students,
impressed with his individuality, will live higher, purer lives from having come in contact with such a mind.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids