Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 560 - 561
Albert Shaw, deceased, was one of the early and honored pioneers of Sheboygan County, with the development of which
he was closely identified for over forty years. He was a native of New York State, born in the town of Kent, Putnam
County, May 12, 1824. He was reared to farm life, and grew to manhood on the old homestead. At the age of twenty-two
years he started out alone to make his home and fortune. As the West furnished better opportunities for a young man
without means, he turned his face in that direction, arriving at Milwaukee in the fall of 1846. Having spent the
first winter as hostler in a hotel in that city, he came the following spring to Sheboygan County, making his way
through the woods. A tract of two hundred acres was secured by him, lying on the town line, between Lyndon and
Abbott (now Sherman), and adjoining an Indian village. In the autumn of the same year (1847) his father, Abel Shaw,
and family joined him in his new home.
In September, 1853, Mr. Shaw wedded Olive (Colwell) Shaw, widow of a deceased brother. Of this marriage were born
five children, of whom four died in childhood, and one survives, Mrs. Meliza Sibley.
In 1869, Mr. Shaw removed to Onion River, where he spent his remaining years. From 1864 to 1888, he was extensively
engaged in buying stock in Sheboygan, Manitowoc and Calumet Counties. Three years before his death, which occurred
January 24, 1891, he retired from active business, to enjoy a well-earned rest. His wife had preceded him to the
spirit land fifteen years.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved