Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 517 - 518
Charles Hilpertshauser, architect and superintendent, established business in Sheboygan in 1885, and has carried it
on continuously since. Mr. Hilpertshauser was born in the town of Herman, Sheboygan County, Wis., December 21, 1861,
being a son of Jacob and Annie (Schweitzer) Hilpertshauser. Jacob Hilpertshauser was born in the canton of St.
Gallon, Switzerland, May 26, 1830. In early life he learned the trade of carpenter, which occupation he followed for
a number of years. In Switzerland, September 1, 1851, occurred his marriage to Annie Schweitzer. Mrs. Hilpertshauser
is a native of the same canton as her husband. They became the parents of five children: Kate, Charles, Jacob,
William and George.
In 1854 Mr. Hilpertshauser emigrated to the United States, and for two years resided in St. Louis, where he was
employed at his trade. In 1856 he came to Wisconsin and located in the town of Herman, in Sheboygan County, where
for some years he was engaged in contracting and carpenter work. Removing to the city of Sheboygan in 1863, he was
employed in ship-building for about a year. At the expiration of that time he entered the service of the United
States, enlisting in 1864, in the Forty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry, with which he served for seven months. Returning
to Sheboygan, Mr. Hilpertshauser resumed work at ship-building, which he followed for over a year, then engaged in
contracting and building. For some four years he operated the business alone, then, in company with Fred Hildebrand,
continued the same some ten years, after which time he carried on the business alone. During his residence in
Sheboygan, Mr. Hilpertshauser was prominently identified with its growth, and especially in the construction of its
buildings. Among the many with which he was connected may be mentioned the county court-house, erected in 1868, on
which he was sub-contractor; the Episcopal and Lutheran Churches, besides business and private buildings. He was
principally engaged in the erection of the latter class of buildings. His death occurred February 8, 1890.
Charles Hilpertshauser, the gentleman whose name heads this article, received his education in the public schools of
the city of Sheboygan. In 1880 he went to Chicago to take a course in algebra and geometry at the West Side Business
College, after which he entered upon the study of architecture in the office of John C. Cochran. Subsequently, he
worked in various other offices in the line of his chosen profession, continuing his studies through a period of
five years. He then returned to Sheboygan, where he assisted his father, who was one of the oldest contractors and
builders in that city. In 1887 he began devoting himself exclusively to architecture, and superintending the
construction of buildings.
Among the more important buildings planned and superintended by Mr. Hilpertshauser may be mentioned the German
Reformed Church, the Theological College at Franklin, Bodenstein Bros.' business block, the Jerry Donohue Block (now
Imigs',) the Peter Martin's building, and the residences of Messrs. Frank Geele, Metz, Bodenstein, Herman Hayssen,
Julius Kroos, Dr. F. W. Nause, and many others. Besides, he has other buildings in process of construction.
Mr. Hilpertshauser was married in Sheboygan, October 25, 1885, to Miss Minnie Buckel, a daughter of August Buckel.
Mrs. Hilpertshauser is a native of the Chair City. Their family consists of one child, a daughter, Lillie C. Mr. and
Mrs. Hilpertshauser are members of the German Reformed Church, and, in politics, he is a Republican. Socially, he is
a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Sons of Veterans.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer