Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Page 462
August F. Wieland was born September 23, 1830, in Neuenstadt, Oberamt Neckarsulm, Wurtemberg, Germany. His father,
Christian Wieland, owned and operated a tannery, which descended to his son Carl, and later to his grandson, who
still owns it. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Kathrina Kraemer, died in the Old Country, as
did also her husband. They had a family of seven children, of whom Henry was the first to emigrate to the United
States. He crossed the ocean in 1848, and is now a resident of Duluth, Minn. Christian came in 1849, and died at
Beaver Bay, Minn., in 1880; Ernst and Albert followed in the fall of 1849, the first being a tanner of Duluth, and
the second a shoe merchant of that city. Two daughters died in Germany.
Mr. Wieland of this sketch bade good-bye to home and native land, and set sail from Havre, France, aboard the
"Baltimore" for New York, where he arrived after a twenty-five days' voyage. Going to Parisburg, Ohio, he worked
some six or seven years in his brother's tannery. His brother Christian, having gone to survey the railroad between
Superior and Hudson, found a desirable location for a sawmill at Beaver Bay, Minn. In 1857, the subject of this
article went to that place, and in company with his brother took up lands from the Government, and after the
country had been surveyed bought additional tracts, until they owned forty-four hundred acres.
In 1869, Mr. Wieland visited Sheboygan, and while there became acquainted with Miss Louise Pieper, to whom he was
married on the 26th of October of that year. Mrs. Wieland was born in Lippe-Detmold, Germany, September 13, 1846,
and when seven years of age accompanied her parents, August and Charlotte (Wagner) Pieper, to the United States.
Seven weeks were consumed in making the voyage from Bremen to New York. Coming direct to Sheboygan, the father
devoted his time to tailoring in the winter months, and in summer kept a flower-garden. Both he and wife spent
their last days in Sheboygan. Of their nine children, three died when small, and Jennie, the twin sister of Mrs.
Wieland, passed away in 1883. The living are: Charles, a printer, of Baltimore, Md.; Mrs. Henrietta Burr, who
lives near Fishers, Minn.; Frederick, a carpenter of Chicago; Henry, who owns a flouring-mill in St. Cloud, Wis.;
and Mrs. Wieland, who completes the family.
Upon their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Wieland returned to Beaver Bay, where they made their home until 1883. Having
disposed of his interests at that place, Mr. Wieland removed to Sheboygan in the year above named, where he still
makes his home. There were born to the above worthy couple seven children, four of whom died in childhood. Those
who survive are: Theodore, a tinner, of Duluth; Clara and Louis, who are still with their parents.
Both Mr. Wieland and wife are members of the German Reformed Church, and in his political principles the former is
a Republican. In his business undertakings, Mr. Wieland has met with good success, having accumulated a competence
that now enables him to live a retired life. Since writing the above, August F. Wieland and his family have removed
to Duluth, Minn., where they expect to make their future home.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer