Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 298 - 301
Herman Lueder, who came to Wisconsin in 1856, and located in the town of Plymouth, Sheboygan County, on the farm
which is still his home, is a native of Brandenburg, Prussia, Germany, having been bora November 30, 1828. His
parents were John and Sophia (Sprung) Lueder, his father being an extensive farmer in the Fatherland. Both father
and mother died in their native land. The latter died in 1832, leaving five children, four sons and one daughter.
After his wife's death the father was again married, and had one son by his second wife, John Lueder, whose death
occurred in 1854.
Herman Lueder remained at home until twenty-two years of age, and then served for two years in the infantry in the
German army. He was married March 4, 1856, to Wilhelmine Porth, a native of Nechlin, province of Brandenburg, who
was born August 29, 1835. On June 1, 1856, the young couple embarked on board the steamer "Borussia," and on the
17th of the same month arrived in New York. They did not tarry, but set their faces Westward, going directly to
Sheboygan. There they remained some four weeks, or until Mr. Lueder had time to select their new home. He bought
eighty acres where he lives, to which he has added by subsequent purchase until he now owns a fine farm of one
hundred and eighty acres. When he came to the place there were but thirteen acres cleared; now there are one hundred
and forty acres under cultivation. By industry, careful husbanding of his earnings, and the exercise of good
business judgment, he has become one of the recognized men of wealth in his township.
Politically, Mr. Lueder has never been a partisan, but has rather voted for the best men, regardless of the party to
which they might belong. For many years he and wife have been identified with the German Reformed Church. On the
18th of May, 1893, Mrs. Lueder passed from among the living. She was the mother of four children: Herman, who died
at the age of eleven years; Hermine, wife of Albert Halm, a farmer of the town of Plymouth; Rudolph, who married
Meta Blanke, daughter of Conrad Blanke, and who carries on the home farm; and Otto, who is at home.
In February, 1893, Mr. Lueder sold the farm to his son Rudolph, and retired from active business life. For
thirty-seven years he has been a resident of the town of Plymouth, and is known to many of the early settlers, as
well as to those who have come in later years.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer