Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 290 - 291
Frederick Burhop, one of the first and oldest living settlers of the town of Herman, residing on section 22, is a
native of Nienburg, province of Hanover, Germany, born on the 9th of April, 1817. His parents, William and Sophia
(Hiza) Burhop, were natives of the same place as their son. The father was a small farmer, and also worked for his
neighbors, doing general farm work. Mr. Burhop was bereft of his parents when young, being but nine years of age
when his mother was taken. Some time later the father's death occurred, when the son was yet quite young. Frederick
was reared and educated in his native village. Like his father before him, he, too, followed the occupation of a
farmer, until he was enrolled to serve his country as a soldier. After a service of six years he returned to his
home, where he was engaged in farming and clerking, alternately until his marriage.
On the 26th of May, 1844, Mr. Burhop was united in matrimony with Miss Dora Semsroth, a daughter of Henry and Adelia
(Scholling) Semsroth. Mrs. Burhop was born December 4, 1821, in the same locality as her husband. They had attended
the same school and played together as children. She is one of a family of four children. Soon after their marriage
the young couple, accompanied by two of the wife's brothers, went to Bremen, where they took passage on the English
sailing-vessel "Rupri" for Baltimore. Sailing on the 21st of May, 1846, with some three hundred on board, they
arrived at port ten weeks later. From Baltimore Mr. Burhop went by way of Pittsburgh to Milwaukee. In that city a
son was born to them, John, who lived to see forty years. He married Anna Ausbroch and had seven children, four of
whom are deceased. Those living are Bertha, Tillie and Amelia. From Milwaukee they came to the town of Herman,
where one hundred and sixty acres of Government land was bought, they paying the nominal sum of $200 for the same,
Mr. Koch, well known in Wisconsin as "Land Agent Koch," negotiating the trade.
Not long after coming to Herman, Mr. Burhop thought he could better his fortune near Milwaukee, and removed thither,
making the journey through dense timber, as at that time no roads had been made. The landmarks familiar to the
traveler in those days were the blazed trees. For many weary days they persevered, through swamp and morass, until
their destination was reached. The father went into the timber, where he cut cordwood, receiving the sum of thirty
cents per cord. At home the good wife added to their store of worldly goods by knitting stockings. One year was
spent there, when they returned to their claim in Herman Township. This being covered with timber, Mr. Burhop began
clearing it, and for several years made shingles for A. P. Lyman, of Sheboygan, receiving ten and twelve shillings
per thousand. In 1852 Fred Arpke, with the assistance of his neighbors, erected a sawmill. This offered a new
field of labor, and through the long winter months these sturdy pioneers supplied the mill with logging material.
This was the first industry of its kind in the township, and proved a valuable factor in the development of this
community. Our subject remembers well the neighborly Chippewas, and many were the long evenings spent in the
company of these bronzed sons of the forest. For many months these people were their only neighbors. For the sake
of having near neighbors, Mr. Burhop sold to a new-comer eighty acres for the same price that he had paid for it.
Mr. and Mrs. Burhop have a family of six children, as follows: Henry, now of Sheboygan, who wedded Miss Louise
Wehrman; Caroline, the only daughter, who became the wife of Ray Shaw, of the same city; William, who married Miss
Marie Sash, a native of Port Huron, Mich., and is a teacher in the schools of Chicago; Fred, who wedded Miss Amelia
Schweinsberg, a native of Detroit, and resides in that city; and Herman, who owns and farms the old homestead, and
who married Miss Eda Fischer, a daughter of Henry Fischer, of whom see sketch elsewhere in this record. The
latter's marriage occurred at the home of the bride, April 15, 1882. To the young couple have been born two
children, a son and a daughter, Tillie and Willie. Martin, the next in order of birth, and youngest of Mr. Burhop's
children, chose for his wife Miss Emma Aldag, a native of Sheboygan, in which place they reside.
Mr. Burhop has served his town as Supervisor one term; Road Supervisor four terms, and as plank road Director for
four terms. Politically, he is a Democrat. Religiously, the family are members of the German Lutheran Church.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer