Source: "History of Sheboygan County Wisconsin, Vol II, Carl Zillier, Editor S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912" Page 198
August Bogen, one of the well known and prosperous agriculturists of Wilson township, is engaged in general and
dairy farming on the place where he was born on January 15, 1869. His parents were August and Helen (Grasse) Bogen,
natives of Brandenburg, Germany, the father’s birth having occurred on the 15th of August, 1825, and that of the
mother on October 7, 1831. They emigrated to the United States in 1852, locating in Sheboygan. There the father,
who was a blacksmith, followed his trade for two years, but at the expiration of that time he bought thirty acres of
land on section 8, Wilson township. For some time thereafter he continued to engage in blacksmithing in connection
with the cultivation of his land, but he later extended the boundaries of his farm by the purchase of another forty
acres, after which he devoted his entire attention to agricultural pursuits. Both he and the mother passed away on
the farm, the former in 1888 at the age of sixty-three years, and the latter in 1908 after she had passed the
seventy-seventh anniversary of her birth. Our subject is the youngest of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs.
The entire life of August Bogen has been passed on the farm, where he is now living. In the acquirement of his
education he attended the district schools of Wilson township and the German Lutheran parochial school until he was
confirmed at the age of fourteen years. Prior to this he had been assisting with the lighter duties about the home,
but thereafter his entire attention was devoted to agricultural pursuits. Following the death of his father, which
occurred when he was a youth of nineteen, he managed the place for his mother until he was twenty-three. He then
farmed it as a renter until after her death, when he bought the interest of the other heirs and has ever since held
the title to the property. During the period of his ownership he has wrought quite extensive improvements in the
place, including the erection of a modern farm house in 1909. Mr. Bogen is a practical man of progressive methods
and at various times installed on his place such appliances and conveniences as would tend to lessen the labor or
expedite the work. That he is ambitious and enterprising as well as systematic in the direction of his undertakings
is evidenced by the well kept appearance of the fences and buildings and the condition of his stock and fields. He
has always engaged in general farming but in connection with this he does some dairying, selling his milk to the
creamery, and raises such stock as is needed about his place.
In Wilson township on the 25th of January, 1890, Mr. Bogen was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Flader, a daughter
of Gotfried Flader, a well known agriculturist of Wilson township, who is now deceased. Four children have been born
to Mr. and Mrs. Bogen, as follows: Laura, who married Adolph Erbstoezer of Lima township, a son of Henry and
Ernestina Erbstoezer; Alvina, deceased; and Walter and Ida, both at home. They are all musicians of more than
average ability, the daughters playing the piano and the son both the violin and piano.
The family are members of the German Lutheran church on the Sauktrail road, and for twelve years Mr. Bogen has been
the leader of the church orchestra, comprised of fifteen pieces. His political support he gives to the candidate of
the republican party, save at local elections when he votes for such men as he deems best qualified for the office.
He is well known throughout this section of the county, his family having resided here for more than fifty-eight
years, and is regarded as a most estimable man and a high type of citizen, as he is thoroughly progressive in every
sense of the word.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer