Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 272 - 273
Edward Newhouse, a merchant and farmer residing at Edwards, Herman Township, is a well known business man in that
part of the county. He was born in Peine, Hanover, Germany, December 5, 1821. His parents, Carl and Louise Newhouse,
both died in the Old Country, the former when Edward was three years of age, and the latter when he was six years
old. For some five years he lived with his sister, and the succeeding two years with an aunt.
Until fourteen years old our subject had good opportunities for acquiring an education. At that time he began to
learn the business of merchandising in his native place, where he remained for some six years. The next two years
were spent in the office of a manufacturing establishment at Altona, near Hamburg. The next year he was stationed at
Schwerin, but at the expiration of that time returned to Hamburg, from which city he sailed on the vessel
"Pawtucket" for New York. To make the voyage required sixty-seven days, during which time the passengers suffered
much from bad food and water. From New York to Albany, he came on a steamer, thence to Buffalo on an old
wooden-track railroad. The engine was so heavily loaded that a part of the train had to be left behind. The place
where it was left was far away from any town, and all night long the passengers had to guard their goods with guns
to prevent them from being stolen.
The year 1848 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Newhouse to Sheboygan. In company with two friends, a miller and
carpenter, he started out to find a suitable place to establish a water-power mill. After a long search, and many
miles of travel, they decided to establish themselves at Centerville, Manitowoc County, which was then but a small
place. Much of the lumber of which their mill was built was taken by raft from Manitowoc, and the balance was taken
from the vessel "76," which stranded about five miles south of Centerville, Wis. Near by they also erected a
sawmill. Later Mr. Newhouse disposed of his interest in the mills and tried to get a clerkship in Chicago, but not
able to do so, on account of the dullness of the times, he went to Muskegon, Mich., where he was employed for a
short time in a sawmill. Returning to Centerville, he opened a small store, which burned about a year later, proving
a severe loss, as his financial condition was not of the best.
In 1851 Mr. Newhouse purchased eight acres where he now lives, on section 2, Herman Township. Having built a
storehouse, he put in a small stock of goods, and for forty-two years he has carried on merchandising in the county.
The house in which he now does business is the third he has built on that site. Mr. Newhouse does an extensive
business, and through careful investment of his savings has become well off. In addition to his store he owns one
hundred and twenty acres of rich farming land. For a few years he kept a hotel, and for some thirty years he has
been Postmaster of Edwards.
In Milwaukee Mr. Newhouse was married, in 1861, to Miss Margaret Forrer, niece of Mrs. Philip Best, wife of the
well-known brewer. Mrs. Newhouse was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and when a young lady came to the United
States with her uncle, Mr. Best, her parents having died in her native land. Of this marriage two children were
born. Oscar, a native of the town of Herman, is a competent young business man, being the main dependence of his
father in the conduct of his extensive business affairs. Emilie married John A. Lohmann, a native of Germany, who
also assists Mr. Newhouse in business. Mr. Newhouse has two bright little grandchildren, Erna and Alfa Lohmann. All
the family belong to the German Evangelical Church.
Mr. Newhouse is in the best sense a self-made man. When he came to the United States he had but $200, but
notwithstanding drawbacks and misfortunes he has pushed forward, achieving a success of which he may well be proud.
Having little capital of his own when he started in business, and being compelled to borrow, he had to pay as high
as thirty per cent, for the use of money. By honesty and fair dealing he has secured not only the patronage, but
also the esteem and utmost confidence, of the people among whom he has done business for so many years. When he
located in this county, Indians, deer and wolves were plentiful. Their haunts in the unbroken forest have now been
converted into homes, and into farms as fertile as any to be found in the State.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer