Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago" Pages 254
August F. Wallschlaeger is a prosperous farmer in Herman Township, having one of the best-improved farms within its
borders. His father, who also bears the name of August, was born June 4, 1827, in Greifsburg, Pomerania, Germany.
There he married Miss Augusta Galander, who was born in Kolberg, of the same province. In 1855 they sailed from
Hamburg, and after a voyage of six weeks landed in New York.
Coming on to Milwaukee, Mr. Wallschlaeger built him a house, and made that city his home for some five years. For a
livelihood he farmed rented land near the city. In 1866 he removed to Sheboygan County and purchased eighty acres of
land, on which the family have lived ever since. About ten acres were cleared, fifteen acres covered with stumps,
and the remaining fifty-five acres were in heavy timber. By subsequent purchase he added until his farm comprises
one hundred and forty acres, of which all has been cleared except about twenty acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Wallschlaeger are still living on the farm were they first settled, thought it is now carried on by
their only son, the subject of this sketch. Both are active members of the Lutheran Church, with which they have
been identified for many years. In politics, the husband is a Republican, and by his fellow-townsmen has been
honored with the office of Supervisor, which he held two terms, and that of Overseer of Roads. In the family of this
worthy couple are four children, namely: Anna, who is the wife of William Hake, a farmer of Ottawa County, Kan.;
Bertha, who married Ferdinand Siemers, a farmer in the town of Plymouth; Sophia, who became the wife of Otto
Klessig, a farmer of Manitowoc County; and August F., the subject of this sketch.
The last-named child was born in Milwaukee, January 1, 1861, and when five years of age accompanied his parents to
Sheboygan County. On his father's farm he grew to manhood, receiving a common-school education. He was married on
the farm where he now lives, October 12, 1887, to Miss Amelia Wagner, a native of Mosel Township, and a daughter of
Adam Wagner, one of the early settlers of the county. One child, a son, who bears the Christian name of William, has
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wallschlaeger. Husband and wife are Lutherans in their religious faith. The former is a
Republican in political sentiment, but has never aspired to place a public trust. For three years he has served as
Road Overseer. In 1886 Mr. Wallschlaeger purchased one hundred and thirty-eight acres of the old homestead, and in
1891 erected thereon one of the finest and most tastily arranged houses in that part of the county. It is situated
on a natural building site, the ground sloping from it in all directions.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer