John Kline Curtiss, deceased, was born February 19, 1820, at Mt. Washington, Mass. His father, Nylys Curtiss, who was a
native of Connecticut, was born November 11, 1796, in Farmington, and later emigrated to Massachusetts. John K. emigrated
to Sandy Creek, Oswego County, N. Y., with his parents. There he grew to manhood, and married Miss Almyra Auyer, in
September, 1843. The bride was born in Frankfort, Herkimer County, N. Y., May 18, 1825, but her parents came from the old
Bay State to New York. In 1845, they emigrated to Ellisburgh, Jefferson County, in the same State. In October, 1858, Mr.
Curtiss came to Wisconsin, locating in Sheboygan County, on the farm now owned by his son Edward. This farm contained one
hundred and sixty acres of land, about twenty acres of which he cleared and in wheat. The frame house, which still stands,
was one of the best in the neighborhood. In this place he made his home as long as he lived, his death occurring June 15,
1891, at the advanced age of seventy-one years. His wife, who was a worthy member of the Epsicopal Church, died April 10,
1884, several years previous to her husband. In his politics, Mr. Curtiss was a life-long Democrat. Both husband and wife
were valued neighbors and citizens. In their family were seven children, four sons and three daughters. The son are all
living, as follows: Jerome J., who lives in New London, Wis.; Romain D., who is a farmer in Medford, Taylor County, in the
same State; J. Edward, who owns and operates the old homestead; and George B., a teacher by profession.
J. Edward Curtiss was born in the house where he now lives, the date of his birth being August 11, 1865. He was reared on
that farm, and educated in the Plymouth schools, graduating from the High School in the Class of '82, after which he
returned to the farm and resumed the old work. October 1, 1888, in Lima Township, occurred the marriage of Mr. Curtiss and
Miss Nancy Gallager. The lady, who is a native of town of Scott, was born April 7, 1861, and is a daughter of William and
Mr. Curtiss became owner of half of the old homestead on the 19th of November, 1889, and in January, 1892, bought the
other half, now owning the original one hundred and sixty acres purchased by his father in 1858. Of this there are one
hundred acres in cultivation, thirty-five in heavy timber, and the remainder is chopped off.
Politically, Mr. Curtiss is a Democrat, having cast his first Presidential ballot for Cleveland for his first term.
Socially, he belongs to Hiawtha Council No. 520, R. A. Mr. Curtiss has always made his home in the town of Plymouth, and
is recognized as one of the wide-awake young business men of his vicinity. In addition to his farming, he began the
manufacture of cheese in 1890, and has carried it on continuously since. His factory, which has a daily output of about
four hunderd and fifty pounds, is proving a profitable investment.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids