C. F. Stumma, proprietor of a garage and dealer in automobiles in Brandon was born in Jefferson township, Buchanan
county, in 1869, a son of Frederick W. and Ernestina (Hartzberg) Stumma, of whom mention is made elsewhere
in this volume in connection with the sketch of their son W. F. Stumma. The boyhood days of C. F. Stumma
were spent upon the home farm with the usual experiences of the lad who divides his time between the duties of the school
room, the pleasures of the playground and the work of the fields.
Our subject continued at home until twenty-four years of age and then made arrangements for having a home of his own in
his marriage to Miss Emma Luloff, a daughter of August and Fredericka (Harp) Luloff. The father, a
native of Germany, came to the United States in his boyhood days in company with his parents, who settled in Sheboygan,
Wisconsin. They purchased government land, securing one hundred and sixty acres, a part of which was covered with timber.
At that place August Luloff was reared and in 1861 he responded to the country's call for aid, enlisting in the
Union army, in which he served for three years, when he was honorably discharged. He then returned to this home in
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and there married Miss Fredericka Harp, a daughter of Alexander and Minnie Harp. For
five years he engaged in farming on his father's land and then removed westward to Iowa, settling in Jefferson township,
this county, where he purchased a valuable tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres. Upon this farm he remained until
death called him on the 23d of August, 1896. His widow survives and is now living with a son at Cedar Rapids at the age
of sixty-six years. She, too, is a native of Germany and was brought by her parents to the new world, the Harp
home being also established in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where her father purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres.
This he at once began to develop and improve and lived thereon for nineteen years, after which he and his family also
became residents of Jefferson township, Buchanan county, where Mr. Harp bought one hundred and twenty acres of
land. He employed the same practical methods in tilling the soil here and became recognized as an enterprising
agriculturist of his community. His wife died in 1884 when sixty-three years of age. Mr. Harp survived for some
time and was living with his daughter, Mrs. Weiser, of Black Hawk county, when he passed away in 1894. He was a
republican in his political views and was a member of the German Lutheran church.
Following his marriage Mr. Stumma purchased a farm of eighty acres in Jefferson township, north of Brandon, whereon
he resided for twenty years; during which period he carefully cultivated his fields and added many improvements to the
property. Annually, as a result of his practical and progressive methods, he gathered good crops and all departments of
his farm work were carefully directed and brought to him a substantial measure of success. After two decades spent upon
the farm he sold that property and removed to Brandon, where he deals in automobiles and also conducts a garage. He is
agent at this place for the Ford car and has sold many of those machines throughout this part of the county. His garage
business is also profitable and his energy and determination are the salient features in his growing success.
Mr. and Mrs. Stumma are parents of a son, Earl, who is still at home. In his political views Mr. Stumma is
an earnest republican and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, but does not seek nor desire office
as a reward for party fealty. His entire life has been spent in this county, covering a period of forty-five years, and
he is a representative of one of the old and valued pioneer families of this section of the state.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids