Barrows, A. D.
Barrows, A. D., foreman in Dillingham & Co.'s bent woodenware factory, Glenbeulah; was born in New Haven, Conn., Aug. 13, 1847; came to Wisconsin with his parents, who settled in Plymouth in 1848; he resided at home, going to school and working with his father until 1867, when he moved to Glenbeulah and commenced to work for Dillingham & Co., first as engineer in the grist mill, which position he held four years, then going to work in the woodenware factory in different branches of the work until 1877, when he took charge as foreman, which position he has held since; he also owns half interest in the saw mill at St. Cloud, of Dillingham & Co. Was married in May, 1871, to Miss Ellen Brown, of Glenbeulah. Is a member of the I.O.O.F., Swift Lodge, No. 115, and is now District Deputy of that Order in District No. 5, at present.
Corbett, Charles A.
Corbett, Charles A., merchant and Assistant Postmaster, Greenbush; was born in Rutland Co., Vt., Nov. 21, 1840; came to Wisconsin in June, 1855, with his parents, Peter and Malinda Corbett, who first settled in the town of Greenbush, Sheboygan Co., where they bought a farm, where his father still resides, and is now the oldest man in the town of Greenbush, being the age of 84 years; his mother died in 1876. The subject of this sketch lived at home, working on the farm and going to school until June, 1861, when he enlisted in the war of the rebellion in the 8th W.V.I., Co. B. and served three years in what is known as the Live Eagle Regiment, and, in 1864, he re-enlisted in the same regiment and served until the close of the war; he had his right leg shot off at the battle of Old River Lake or Chicot, Ark., June 6, 1864, but did not receive his discharge until 1865; after returning home in 1866, took a course at the Commercial College, Milwaukee, then returned to Fond du Lac and started a store at Forest; also established the Banner Post Office in 1867; here he resided a short time, sold out and moved to Greenbush, where he continued the merchandising, and has resided since. Was married in the year 1870, in June, to Miss Jennie M. Lewis, of Greenbush. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., Greenbush, Lodge, No. 78.
Dennis, John, farmer, Sec. 12; P.O. Glenbeulah; was born in New York Feb. 14, 1828; is the son of Walter C. and Rose D. Dennis, of Niagara, N.Y.; his grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The subject of this sketch learned the trade of carriage-making, which business he followed up to 1859 in his native State; then moved to Wisconsin and bought the farm where he now lives, and now owns 240 acres; he is now Chairman of the town of Greenbush; has also held the office of Assessor, and since he resided at Glenbeulah has taken an active part in all public enterprises. Was married in his native State to Miss Sarah M. Baker in 1849, she also being a native of New York, by whom he has five children, three sons and two daughters.
Dillingham, James T.
Dillingham, James T., manufacturer of bent wooden ware, etc., Glenbeulah; was born in Barnstable Co., Mass., February, 1833; came to Wisconsin in May, 1857, and located at Glenbeulah, starting in trade in general merchandise store in company with Slade & Swift, where he remained until 1866, and also erected a grist-mill at that place and saw-mill, which he operated until 1872, since which time he has given his time in improving and enlarging the bent woodenware factory, where he now employs fifty men the year round; is the largest and only bent wooden ware factory in the State that makes Masner butter boxes, etc.; they ship their goods all over the United States; they have in connection a saw-mill at St. Cloud, where they saw most of their own timber, The factory was started in the year 1865 as a small stave mill in a small way, adding the improvements, etc., at different times, and enlarging the business to what it is now. Mr. Dillingham was married in 1854, to the daughter of Capt. Joseph Swift, now of Glenbeulah.
Hamilton, C. M., Dr.
Hamilton, C. M., Dr., of Greenbush, Wis., was born in Vermont August 6, 1819; after receiving a common school education, he attended the Dartmouth Medical College in New Hampshire, where he graduated in 1835; he came West to Dayton in 1838, and here first practiced his profession, and remained until 1844; he then removed to Palestine, Crawford Co., Ill., and, in 1851, changed his place of residence to Greenville, Bond Co., where he practiced until 1861, at which time he enlisted as a private in the 22nd Ill. V. I., Co. E, being commissioned as First Lieutenant, and afterward as Quartermaster of his regiment. He was the first man to enlist in Crawford Co., and organized the Companies D and E, having two sons, Charles B. and Henry L., who enlisted at the same time with himself, aged, respectively, twenty-two and thirteen years, the latter going as drummer boy in the same regiment as his father. The subject of this sketch was discharged after serving two years and nine months, being disabled for further service, and then returned to Greenville, Ill, where he made his home until 1868, at that time removing to Sheboygan Falls, Wis. Here he lived for one year, and then went to Greenbush, where he has made his home ever since. Dr. Hamilton was married to the widow of T. D. Butler, daughter of C. Wade, the first settler in the town of Greenbush, she being one of the lady nurses with the 22nd Ill. V.I., and was with them over a year.
Heyn, Edward, hotel, Glenbeulah, was born in Germany June 21, 1825. Came to United States in 1851, and settled at Sheboygan, Wis., where he commenced work by the day, but did not remain there long when he moved up to Lake Superior, where he engaged in mining. Here he was engaged five years, then moved back to Sheboygan, and bought a farm. Ran that three years, then moved back to Lake Superior. Started a saloon and traded in live stock, and this time stayed six years, and came back to Sheboygan, where he continued the live stock business until 1865; then moved to Glenbeulah, and started to keep the house where he is now. Was married in Germany in the year 1850 to Bertha Schlogelmich, by whom seven children were born - Lebertha, Albert, Edmond, Lena, Molly, Alma and Rosetta.
Ladenberger, Conrad C.
Page 1012 - 1013
Ladenberger, Conrad C., foreman of measure and butter box department of Dillingham & Co.'s factory, Glenbeulah, was born in Germany, March 29, 1840. Emigrated to United States with his parents in 1848. Is brother of F. D. Ladenberger, of Glenbeulah. The subject of this sketch followed farming until the year 1869, when he engaged with the above firm, and has had charge of that department since, which he runs under contract, furnishing his own men. Was married to his first wife, Miss Cornelia O. Andrews, of Plymouth, in May, 1873, who died in February, 1880, by whom he has two children, viz., Willard S. and Clarance B. He married his second wife, Miss Ida C. Griesbach, of town Greenbush. He is a member of I.O.O.F., Swift Lodge, No. 115.
Ladenberger, Fred D.
Ladenberger, Fred D., blacksmith and wagonmaker, Glenbeulah, was born in Germany Jan. 4, 1834. Is son of Phillip and Margaret Ladenberger, who emigrated to the United States in the year 1848, and settled in Sheboygan Co., Wisconsin, town of Greenbush. Died in 1879. In the year 1854, the subject of this sketch started to work at the blacksmith trade at Fond du Lac by the day. In the spring of 1855, moved to Greenbush Village, and continued to work by the day until 1857, when he moved to Glenbeulah, where he started a shop for himself, where he has remained since. Mr. Ladenberger and Hazeltine are proprietors and inventors of the self-acting wagon brake, which is the only complete self-acting brake now patented in the United States, and only a glance at its working and simplicity will convince any person that it is a success, and in time will be adopted on all wagons as the brake. He is a charter member of the I.O.O.F., Swift Lodge, No. 115, which was organized in 1866, and is also a member of the Grand Encampment of Wisconsin. Was married in 1858, at Glenbeulah to Miss Sarah M. Tiffany, of Pennsylvania, who died January 11, 1881, leaving him three children.
Montgomery, Emile, full cream cheese factory at Green bush, was born in Chicago, Ill., on the 25th of November, 1848. He came with his parents to Wisconsin in the spring of 1856, first settling in the town of Mitchell, Sheboygan Co., on a farm, where the subject of this sketch made his home until twenty-one years of age. He then moved to Glenbeulah in the same county, where he clerked in a store until 1874, at that time buying the cheese factory, which was established by A.E. Stoddard in 1871, having a capacity for making fourteen cheeses per day. He is also proprietor of a cheese factory in the western part of the town of Greenbush, which has a capacity of sixteen per day, and also of another one at Armstrong Corners, Fond du Lac Co., of about the same capacity. Mr. Montgomery has been Town Treasurer of Greenbush, and was married February 9, 1874, to Miss Annie Webb, a native of New York State.
Metzger, Michael, flouring and sugar cane, Glenbeulah, Wis., was born in Germany March 5, 1844. His parents emigrated to United States the same year, and located at Buffalo, N.Y., and in May, 1861, the subject of this sketch enlisted in the war of the rebellion, in 17th N.Y.V.I., Co. K, and served two years. Re-enlisted in 8th N.Y. Heavy Artillery in 1864 and served until the close of the war, after which he returned to New York, and lived there until the year 1872, when he moved with his family to Wisconsin, locating at Glenbeulah, and started to work for Dillingham & Co., where he continued until 1879. Then he bought an interest in the mill where he now is. The flouring mill has a capacity of 40 barrels per day, and the cane mill has a capacity of making 400 gallons sirup (sic) per day. He was married in New York to Miss Permelia Dumas, who was born in France, by whom he has two children, viz., Alberbus and George B. He is a member of I.O.O.F, Swift Lodge, No. 115 at Glenbeulah.
Shufflebotham, James, retired farmer; P.O. Glenbeulah; was born in Cheshire, England, Jan. 23, 1821. In his native country he learned the trade of machinist, and followed it, working at his trade there, until 1848, when he came to America, and continued to follow it, working at his trade one year after in the State of New Jersey, and, in 1849, he came to Wisconsin and settled in Sheboygan County, locating his family in the town of Greenbush, on a small farm of 80 acres of land, which he purchased from the Government for $1.25 per acre, and consuming his entire capital. He then went off to work at his trade, to raise a little more money, which he succeeded in doing by engaging as engineer on a line of steamboats running on the lake, and, after one year's work, returned to his family with his earnings, which he spent on improving his farm, and, as the country became more settled, there was a demand for building bridges, houses, etc., so he started to work at the carpenter trade at the various villages, by which he earned considerable money, with which he purchased more land, until he owned 400 acres; then he commenced to farm in earnest, improving, etc., and oftentimes walking to Sheboygan from his place, in the town of North Greenbush, now Russell, for family provisions, and carried them home, on his back, from fifty to eighty pounds at a time. Here he lived until the year 1866, when he sold out that farm and bought another, in the town of Greenbush, which was partly improved, starting over again to make another farm in the timber, by chopping and clearing the land, and continued there until 1874, then moving to the village of Glenbeulah, his present residence. He has held various town offices, such as Justice, Assessor, etc., and aided very much in improving the village of Glenbeulah, by first building a grain elevator, etc., and working always for the interest of the town in which he lived. He was married in his native country, in 1844, to Miss Mary Ann Cottrill, his first wife, who died April 10, 1876, and had born him sixteen children, seven of whom are now living - four sons and three daughters; was married to his second wife, Isebell McTaggart, 1878, by whom he has two children, only one of whom is living. Mr. Shufflebotham is the oldest settler now living in the town of Russell, and owns 900 acres of land in five different farms.
Sufflebotham, James R.
Sufflebotham, James R., saw-filer for the firm of Dillingham & Co., Glenbeulah; is the son of James Shufflebotham, who was one of the first settlers of the town of Russell, Sheboygan Co.; was born in Sheboygan County, April 4, 1854. He learned the trade of blacksmithing, and was married at the age of 20, to Miss Mary Vaukusen, of Fond du Lac; then started a blacksmith shop for himself, in the village of Greenbush, where he lived three years, when he sold out and moved to Knoxville, Penn.; ramained (sic) a short time; thence moved to Kansas; remained there awhile and came back to Greenbush, and opened a shop there again; ran that awhile and sold out, and engaged with the above firm, where he has been since.
Slade, Edwin, general merchandise, Glenbeulah; was born at Westport, Bristol Co., Mass., March 25, 1826; the only son of Nathan and Phoebe Slade, of Westport. The subject of this sketch lived in Massachusetts and Providence, R.I.; engaged in the boot and shoe trade until 1857, when he came to Wisconsin and settled at Glenbeulah, and started a general merchandise store, in company with Swift & Dillingham, said firm continuing until 1866, when Swift & Dillingham retired; Mr. Slade remaining in the trade. He was appointed Postmaster the same year, which position he has held since, except during President Johnson 's administration. He was a member of the Legislature in 1865 from the Second Assembly District; was Secretary and Director of the Sheboygan & Fond du Lac Railroad from 1866 to 1880; held the office of Town School Superintendent of Greenbush, under the old system, and was the last to serve under that law. He has taken the lead in most of the public enterprises of the village, and has been an earnest worker for the welfare of his town. He married in 1853, in Massachusetts, to Miss Elizabeth G. Swift, daughter of Joseph Swift, who still resides at Glenbeulah at the advanced age of eighty years.
Page 1013 - 1014
Volquarts, Henry, merchant, Glenbeulah; was born in Germany, May 17, 1825; came to America in the spring of 1848, and settled in Calumet Co., Wis., and was one of the first settlers in the town of Holstien (sic), where he bought 160 acres of land for the sum of $2.28; here he resided, improving his farm and working in the interest of settling up the country, and holding various town offices, such as Town Supervisor, Assessor, Town Clerk, etc., and at that time the settlers of that part of the country had to go to Sheboygan Falls for most all of their provisions, and to mill for flour; Mr. V. remained on his farm until 1863, when he moved to Glenbeulah and started to clerk in the store for his brother-in-law, G. M. Buensen, and in 1869 bought out the store, and has since run the business himself, this store being the second one started at Glenbeulah; in the year 1852 he went back to Germany, and was there married to Dora Buensen, by whom he has two children living and three dead.
Mueller, Henry G.
Mueller, Henry G., flour mill and box factory; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and located in the town of Herman; commenced active life as an employe in saw-mills; was for some six years foreman of "Keseberg 's" mill at Howard's Grove, Wis.; built a saw-mill in company with W. Halbach, in 1868, in the town of Herman, and they conducted the mill together up to 1873, then Mr. Mueller ran it alone for two years; he built his present flour mill in 1875, and has been engaged conducting it since; also runs a cheese-box factory, and manufactures 50,000 boxes per annum; he was born in Germany, May 27, 1836; came to America in 1847; married in town of Herman, in April, 1861, to Minnie Damrow, born in Germany; they have ten children - Albert, Louis, Emma, Henry, Adele, Otto, Minnie, Ellen, Hedwig and William.
Roeber, Gustave, general store, Franklin; came to Wisconsin in June, 1848; located in town of Rhine, Sheboygan county; was engaged in farming for three years; then in same capacity at Lake Superior, Mich., for three years; afterward ran a hotel at Sheboygan City for some three years; came to Franklin in 1857; purchased present business and has conducted it since; is also engaged in general merchandise business in company with A. Mesch, at Kiel, Manitowoc Co., Wis.; born in Germany, in May, 1832; came to America in 1848; married at Franklin in August, 1857, to Julia Keiser, born in Germany; they have eleven children - Gustave, Herman, Otto, Annie, Louis, William, Frederick, Charles, Ernst, Emil and Meta.
Frome, August, saw mill, blacksmith and wagon-shop, Howard's Grove, came to Wisconsin in 1856; located at Sheboygan City and was employed as blacksmith one year; then at Lake Superior, Mich., was employed there as blacksmith nine years, seven of which he was foreman of a copper mine; came to Howard's Grove in 1866, and opened a blacksmith and wagon-making shop and continued that business since; commenced a saw-mill in 1876, in company with William Halbach, they continued the business up to the fall of 1880, and since that time Mr. Frome has conducted the business alone; employs some twelve men; manufactures some fifty thousand feet of lumber weekly, and about sixty thousand cheese boxes per annum; born in Germany in 1833; learned trade of blacksmith there; came to America in 1854, and was engaged as blacksmith in New Orleans and in St. Louis, previous to coming to this State. Married at Howard's Grove in 1861, to Augusta Karl; born in Germany. They have four children - August, Reinhart, Louis and Lucy.
Page 1014 - 1015
Stolsenburg, Emil, general store and Postmaster, Howard's Grove; came to Wisconsin in 1851; located with parents at town of Sheboygan Falls; resided there for some years, farming with his father, and employed in saw mill for over a year; he purchased the present business from Mr. William Halbach in 1879, and has conducted it since; was appointed Postmaster in September, 1879; born in Germany in 1846; came to America in 1851. Married at Howard's Grove, Wis., Oct. 25th, 1877, to Johanna Dreyer, born there. They have one child - Laura.
Schlichting, Ernst W.
Schlichting, Ernst W., proprietor of Washington Hotel, Howard's Grove, came to Wisconsin in 1846; located in town of Herman and was engaged in farming for some twelve years; came to Howard's Grove in 1858 and commenced in hotel business in 1860, and has continued it since; born in Germany in 1815; was employed in that country at farming; came to America in 1846. Married in Germany in 1837. to Henrietta E. D. Hanson, born there. They have three children - Mary, Hedwig and Elsbet.
Baldwin & Delavan
Page 1015 - 1016
Baldwin & Delavan, proprietors Hingham Custom Flour Mills, Hingham. The firm is composed of Levi H. Baldwin and Patrick H. Delavan. Mr. Baldwin was born in town of Sherman, Sheboygan Co., Wis., July 19, 1851; resided with parents and was engaged farming; came to Hingham in 1869, was engaged farming, etc., up to 1874, when he commenced in present business with Mr. Delavan. He married at Hingham, Wis., Sept. 27, 1877, to Flora Gifford, born in town of Lima, Wis. They have one daughter - Jessie. P. H. Delavan, of this firm, came to Wisconsin in 1846; located at Milwaukee; was employed in flour mill for about four years, afterward in different mills in various parts of the State; came to Hingham in 1869; commenced in present mill in company with James Lampman, and had other partners up to 1874 when Levi H. Baldwin came into the concern, and since then they have conducted the mill together. Mr. Delavan was born in Ireland in 1833; came to America in 1839; married at Boltonville, Wis., in 1859, to Abbe M. Long, born in Ireland. They have two children - Margaret and John.
Blackburn, Alfred T.
Blackburn, Alfred T., physician and surgeon, Hingham; born at Oak Creek, Milwaukee Co., Wis., March 7, 1853; was employed as a school teacher in various parts of the State for some years, during which time he also studied medicine. He served six months in Mercy Hospital, Chicago, Ill.; graduated at Chicago Medical College, Chicago, Ill., March 29, 1881, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession at Hingham since; also carries on a drug business; married at Fond du Lac, Wis., in 1876; his wife died in 1877; he again married at Onion River, Sheboygan Co., Wis., May 27, 1881, to Ella Hutchinson, born in Sheboygan Co., Wis.
Coller, Lyman T., M.D.
Coller, Lyman T., M.D., and dentist, Hingham; born in Dutchess Co., N.Y. in March, 1845; came to Wisconsin in 1846, located with his parents at Fond du Lac; was engaged farming there for some years, then practiced medicine at Cascade, Wis., for a year; came to Hingham in 1867 and has been engaged practicing medicine for fourteen years and dentistry for some five years; married at Hingham, July 4, 1870, to Mary S. Pierce, born in the State of New York. They had one son - Cleon.
Keller, Charles, general store, Hingham; came to Wisconsin in 1854; located at Milwaukee; was employed as a s wood-turner for a year; then at Newburg, Washington Co., Wis., in same capacity for three years afterward in general store business in company with E. Frankenburg for five years; then had a hotel and general store eight miles from Milwaukee for two years; came to Hingham in 1868; commenced general store in company with F. A. Balch; they conducted business together for two years; since then Mr. Keller has been alone. He was born in Bavaria in 1827; was employed there as a wood-turner; came to America in 1854; married at Newburg, Wis., in 1861, to Emma Geceke, born in Germany. They had five children - Emil, Alma, Minnie, Flora and Lena.
Rossman, Paul. proprietor Hingham House Hotel and blacksmith shop. Came to Wisconsin in 1851; located at town of Rhine, Sheboygan Co.; was employed farming for a few years; learned trade of blacksmith at Plymouth, Wis., and was employed at it some three years; enlisted in September, 1861, in 9th W.V.I.; served three years; was then employed at his trade in various parts of the States of Illinois and Wisconsin, up to May 3, 1880, when he came to Hingham, purchased present hotel and has been engaged conducting it since; has carried on a blacksmith shop since March 17, 1881. He was born in Germany March 16, 1842; came to America in 1851; married in town of Rhine, Sheboygan Co., Wis., March 12, 1865, to Annie Russler, born in Germany. They have seven children - William, Lydia, Lilly, Alfred, Paul, Thusneldy and Olga.
Schramm, Adolph W.
Schramm, Adolph W., general store, Our Town; born in Our Town, Wis., in November, 1856; learned trade of carriage maker at Milwaukee, Wis., and was employed at it there for some three years, afterward in same capacity for six years at Sheboygan Falls, Wis.; returned to Our Town in August, 1878; erected store building and has been engaged in conducting present business since; married at Our Town, Wis., March 2, 1876, to Sophia Thieman, born in town of Herman, They have three children - Oscar, Arthur and William.
Tripp, Rowell H.
Tripp, Rowell H., farmer, Our Town; came to Wisconsin in 1846; located in Milwaukee, resided there with his parents up to 1848, then went to town of Holland, Sheboygan Co., Wis.; was engaged farming. In 1862, enlisted in 27th W.V.I.; served two years as a non-commissioned officer, and one as Lieutenant of Co. B, in same regiment; returned to Holland and farmed up to 1873; in the month of February of that year, he came into town of Lima and has been engaged conducting present farm since; owns 120 acres of land; was Supervisor for town of Lima for 1879 and 1880, and was elected to the Assembly for Third District, Sheboygan Co., in November, 1880, term of office expires Dec. 31, 1881. He was born in Jefferson Co., N.Y., Jan. 20, 1840; married at town of Lima, Wis., April 28, 1867, to Charlotte Daharsh, born there. They have three children - Elenora, Ruby and Gordon.
Walvoord, Henry, farmer and cheese factory; came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1848; located in the town of Holland, Sheboygan Co., and has been engaged in farming since; owns 13? acres of land; built a cheese factory in 1879; and has conducted it since; manufactures some 50,000 pounds of cheese per annum; was Supervisor of town from 1875 to 1878; was elected Town Clerk in 1880, and re-elected in 1881; born in Pittsburgh, Penn;, Nov. 4, 1847. Married in the town of Holland, Dec. 5, 1866, to Henrietta E. Eggerichs, born in Germany; they have eight children - Annie M., Frederick, Gertrude, Gerrett J., Henry E., William, Meta M., Elizabeth H.
Holle, Christian W.
Holle, Christian W., hardware, stoves, etc., Cedar Grove; came to Wisconsin in 1848; located at Milwaukee; resided there some twenty-five years; learned trade of tinner, and was employed at it up to 1873, when he came to Cedar Grove and opened present business which he has conducted since. He was born in Germany Oct. 10, 1840; came to America in 1848. Married at Milwaukee, Wis., in 1861, to Julia Breen, born in Holland; died in June, 1869, leaving two children - Frederick and Minnie. Married again, at Milwaukee, March 11, 1871, to Margaret Guequiere, born in Holland; they have four children - Annie, William, Sarah and Jacob.
Prinsen, Cornelius, Postmaster, and general store, Cedar Grove; came to Wisconsin in the autumn of 1866; located at Waupun; remained there six months; came to Cedar Grove in 1867 and opened a general store, which he has conducted since; was appointed Postmaster in 1874, and was Assessor of town of Holland for one year. Born in Holland in 1830; was a farmer in that country; came to America in 1855, and previous to coming to this State, engaged in nursery business in Rochester, N.Y. Married, at Rochester, N.Y., Dec. 15, 1858, to Madeline Patist; they have eight children - Antoinette, John A.A., Margaret C. J., Lydia, William A., James, Edward, Maria C.
Daane, Peter, grist-mill operator and general store, Oostburg, came to Wisconsin in 1847; located in the town of Holland, Sheboygan County; was engaged in farming for some twenty years. In 1862, he enlisted in the 27th Wisconsin Infantry; served two years as a private and one year as Lieutenant of Company F, same regiment; commenced general store business in 1868, and has continued it since. In 1869, he opened an elevator, and has conducted it since. In 1878, built a grist-mill, which he also runs in connection with other business. He was Town Assessor for two years, and Chairman of Supervisors some fourteen years, and in 1873 served in the Assembly, being elected from the Third District, Sheboygan County, and has been Postmaster since 1867. He was born in Holland March 26, 1833; came to America in 1840; married in town of Holland, Wis., in 1855, to Susan Eernisse, born in Holland. Their children are - Susan, Nellie, Peter, Apiline, Jacob, Elizabeth, Matthew, Jennie, Gerrett A.
Wikkerink, D. G.
Wikkerink, D. G., general store, Oostburg, came to Wisconsin some time about 1850; located in Milwaukee; was employed there as a machinist up to 1875, when he came to Oostburg and opened in present business in company with J. S. Janssen, They continued the business for a short time, and since then Mr. Wikkerink has been alone, He has one son, Benjamin J., who manages the business.
George, Levi, farmer and fruit raiser, came to Wisconsin in April, 1850; located at Sheboygan Falls; was employed three years in a saw-mill; came to the town of Wilson, Sheboygan Co., in 1853, and has been engaged farming since, and also been engaged in fruit growing for past twelve years; owns 81 acres of land. Has been Treasurer for district school for six years, and has held various other school offices. Born in Hillsboro Co., N.H., Dec. 25, 1816, and previous to coming to this State, was engaged in saw-mill. Married at Brownville, Jefferson Co., N.Y., in April, 1839 to Diana Worden, born in New York. They have five children - Marion P., Nancy J. (now Mrs. Fuller), Eugene, Marcia and Eurana.
Warner, Alvin, fisheries, came to Wisconsin in fall of 1863; located in town of Wilson, Sheboygan Co., and has been engaged in present business since. Ships some 10,000 pounds of fish per month. He was born in Jefferson Co., N.Y., Oct. 25, 1838; previous to coming to this State, was engaged farming and fishing in State of New York. Married in Jefferson Co., N.Y., in September, 1859 to Caroline Austin, born in State Michigan. They have six children - Viola, Minnie, Netta, Lillie, Cyrus, William.
Bartlett, L. C.
Bartlett, L. C., druggist, Cascade, came to Cascade in 1856; he was born in Jefferson Co., N.Y., April 10, 1835; remained there until of age. He was married April 10, 1856, to Miss Frances E. Reed; she died in 1867, leaving one child; he enlisted April 19, 1861, Co. G, 4th Wis. Vols.; veteranized; received the commission of 2nd Lieutenant, and afterward that of 1st Lieutenant. His regiment was most of the time in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and was the first to reach New Orleans when it was taken. He was in seventeen engagements, besides skirmishes. In the fight at Port Hudson, his regiment was very badly cut up; he reached home from the war July 2nd, 1865. He was married in March, 1868, to Miss Melissa Thomas, of Scott; he commenced teaching at seventeen years of age, and continued to teach for many years, chiefly in Cascade and Batavia; also taught select school; he was Town Superintendent under the old system, and has been Town Clerk and Supervisor of the town of Lyndon; he commenced the business of druggist in 1873, and deals also in books, groceries and millinery.
Hulee, Edward, merchant, Cascade, was born in Gessen, Germany, Jan. 30, 1833, and was brought up in the mercantile business, having served four years apprenticeship thereat; he came to the United States in 1857, and located in Sheboygan Falls in 1858, and May 25, 1859, came to Cascade; he clerked for I.R. Beae, and on June 24, 1864, commenced business for himself in a general stock store, which business he has continued to the present time. He was married in 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Snyder, of Sheboygan. They have two children - Edward and William.
Loomis, Goodwin T.
Loomis, Goodwin T., physician and surgeon, Cascade. was born in Portage Co., O., March 23, 1847; he received his educational training in the academy at Atwater, O., and at Coldwater, Mich.; and his professional training in the medical department of the University of Michigan, where he was graduated in the class of 1869. The same year he commenced the practice of medicine at Merton, Waukesha, Co., Wis., and in 1873, came to Cascade. He was married Oct. 31, 1873, to Miss Clara A. Ainsworth, of Merton, Wis. They have three children.
Noll, William, Hon., merchant, Cascade, came to Cascade in 1865, and engaged in the hardware business and afterward, in the manufacture and sale of dairy supplies; he also deals largely in furniture, both at Cascade and at Sherman, where he has a branch store; he was born in Huebengen, Nassau, Germany, March 23, 1834; he came to the United States in 1851, and settled in Milwaukee; removed to Kiel, Manitowoc Co., in 1859; thence to Cascade in 1865. He was married Aug. 19, 1855, to Miss Catherine Ruppenthal, of Milwaukee; she died July 26, 1866, leaving five children. Oct. 14, 1868, he was married to Miss Amelia Hinz, of Cascade; he was elected Town Clerk of Lyndon in 1871, Supervisor in 1875, and member of the Assembly in 1876, for the second district, Sheboygan Co.; he is Postmaster at Cascade, having received his appointment Jan. 1, 1880.
Armstrong, Wm. T.
Armstrong, Wm. T., general merchandise store, Waldo; was born in the town of Lima, Sept. 27, 1856; son of Wm. Armstrong, who settled in Sheboygan County the same year the subject of this sketch was born; he received a common school education, and has since been engaged at teaching and farming, etc., until March, of 1881, when he was married to Miss Betsy A. Lawson, daughter of Robert Lawson, Sr., who settled in the town of Lyndon; born in 1846, and died in March, 1877.
Chamberlain A. C.
Chamberlain A. C. & Co., manufacturers of hearses, Waldo; commenced the manufacture of hearses in 1878; Aaron Chamberlain, the senior member of the firm, was born March 26, 1811; his father, Moses Chamberlain, was a soldier on the Revolutionary war; he was married to Miss Samantha B. Townsend, of Orono, Me., in October, 1832; moved to Lowell, Mass, in 1849; to Fox Lake, Dodge Co., Wis., in 1855, and to Sheboygan County in 1858; he was engaged several years in the furniture business, and then made a specialty of hearsemaking; he has had four children, only two of whom are living; Miranda, died in Lowell, Mass., and Henry (a member of Co. D, 8th Wis. Vols.) was killed in a battle near Nashville, November, 1864; his two living sons served three years each in Co. H, 1st Wis. Infantry - Albert C. enlisting in October 1861, and Luther M. in August, 1862; Albert C. Chamberlain, the junior member of the firm, was born in Brighton, Somerset Co., Maine, June 17, 1845, and was married Oct. 21, 1880, to Mrs. S. E. Jones, of Plymouth, Sheboygan Co., Wis.; he is a member of "Waldo Lodge," No. 244, of the Good Templars.
Humphrey, H. Clay
Humphrey, H. Clay, cheese factory at Onion River, P. O. Waldo; this factory was established in the year 1873, by A. Dye, and the subject of this sketch bought out the above firm; when he first purchased the factory they were working up but 8,000 lbs. of milk per day, but they have since increased it to 11,000 lbs., making now 1,000 lbs. of cheese daily, nearly all of which is shipped to Liverpool; the subject of this sketch was born in the town of Lima, Sheboygan Co., Wis., Dec. 18, 1847; H. Clay was married in 1879 to Miss Annie Evans, of Sheboygan, he having been educated at Lawrence University, Appleton, and graduated in 1869; Mr. Humphrey 's factory is next to the largest in the county, and the sale of cheese for 1881 will amount to over $20,000.
Lawson, Robert W.
Lawson, Robert W., merchant, Waldo; was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., Aug. 19, 1845; his father, Robert Lawson, came to the United States and settled in the town of Lyndon, Sheboygan Co., Wis., in 1846, where he lived until his death in March, 1877; his mother, Mrs. Ann (Auckland) Lawson, is still living in Waldo, with her youngest daughter; they have ten children, all living - Thomas, George, Charles, Abraham, Robert W., Eliza (Mrs. McCain), Caroline (Mrs. Fairweather), Mary Ann (Mrs. Lee), Emma (Mrs. Sharpe), and Betsey (Mrs. Armstrong). Robert W. was married April 20, 1876, to Miss Isadora T. Paddock, of Lyndon, formerly of Rochester, N.Y.; he commenced business as a merchant in 1873, and was appointed Postmaster at Waldo in April, 1877, a position he still holds.
Pelton, Levi H., M.D.
Pelton, Levi H., M.D., Waldo; was born in the town of Lyndon, Sheboygan Co., Wis., July 10, 1848; his father, Russel Pelton, moved from Trumbull Co., Ohio, to Lyndon, Sheboygan Co., Wis., in 1846, and has resided here ever since, on the same farm he selected when he came; his son, Levi H., received most of his professional education at the Rush Medical College, at Chicago, but was graduated in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1873; he practiced three years at St. Cloud, Fond du Lac Co., and at Waldo since 1876; he was married July 23, 1873, to Miss Kate Ellen Brown, of Plymouth, Wis.; she died May 13, 1880.
Robinson, Henry J.
Robinson, Henry J., farmer, Sec. 25; P.O. Waldo; was born in the State of New York, Sept. 28, 1824; son of Noah and Huld Robinson, who came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled in the town of Sherman, Sheboygan Co.; the latter died Sept. 18, 1860; the former died February, 1879, the subject of this sketch remaining on the home farm until 1853; then bought a farm for himself, and, in 1855, was married to Miss Mary E. Baldwin, daughter of Eliarda and Susan Baldwin, who were among the first settlers of Sherman, from New York, by whom he has one son - Eliarda B. Henry J.'s parents were very poor when the settled in Wisconsin, the subject of this sketch and his brother chopping cordwood for 50 cents per cord, and only receiving on-fourth cash, the balance in provisions.
Barber, Wentworth, farmer, Sec. 25, P.O. Waldo; was born in Franklin Co., Vermont, on Dec. 18, 1819; he followed farming in his native State until 1840, when he came West to Wisconsin, locating in Sheboygan County, where he followed the lumbering business for four years, and then moved to the town of Lyndon, where he entered some land, and has remained there engaged in farming ever since; when the subject of this sketch moved to Lyndon there were only five other families in the town.
Whiffen, Andrew J.
Whiffen, Andrew J., merchant at Onion River; P.O. Waldo; was born in Oneida Co., N.Y., March 4, 1845. His parents, William and Mary Whiffen, were formerly from England, and moved West, to Sheboygan Co., Wis., the same year that the subject of this sketch was born, Here they purchased a farm from the Government, and their son, Andrew J., worked at home, on the farm, until 1869, with the exception of six months, which he spent in Chicago. In 1869, he removed to Onion River, where he started a store, remaining there ever since. He was appointed Postmaster, holding that office until 1877, when the office was moved to Waldo. Mr. Whiffen was married, March 4, 1880, to Miss Viola Mead, of Onion River.
Butler, R. D.
Page 1020 - 1021
Butler, R. D., dealer in grain, lumber, etc., Random Lake; is the son of Comchin Butler, who came to Milwaukee in 1838, where he ran a boot and shoe store for two years, but not liking the business he sold out, and, in 1840, moved to Granville, where he bought a half section of land, on which he lived for two years, but, concluding to go North, he again sold out and started for Sheboygan County. Shortly after crossing the line of Ozaukee County, he came to a beautiful lake (since named Random Lake), and, being very much pleased with the situation, he concluded to make his home there. He at once purchased 600 acres of land from the Government, and built him a log shanty, into which he moved his family, the inhabitants around him being all Indians, and here he reared a family of six boys and four girls. He kept selling off his land from time to time, at a small profit, there is now but 120 acres left, which his son, R.D. Butler, keeps in successful operation. He remained at home, with his father, until twenty years old, when he spent two years looking around the country, and then returned home and took charge of his father's firm, and, in 1874, bought the grain and lumber business of Albert Gistrand, at Random Lake, where he now does a successful business.
Carroll, John P.
Carroll, John P., hotel-keeper and farmer, Random Lake, was born in Ireland March 7, 1820. After living there until eighteen years old, he came to the United States in May, 1838, first living in Rhode Island, where he was engaged in the Cranston Print Factory. After continuing in this employment until 1848, he moved to the State of Wisconsin, settling in the town of Sherman, Sheboygan Co., on a farm, where he resided until 1875, at which time he removed to the village of Random Lake, having four years previous to this time started a lumber yard there, which was the first one in the village. Mr. Carroll has held several local offices in his town, having been Justice of the Peace since 1849, Town Treasurer for five years, and Assessor one year; has also been Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, and was one of the organizing members of the Catholic Church there in 1852, being the first man to start the village of Random Lake. He was married, Feb. 13, 1850, to Miss Teresa Mooney, who was born in Lancashire, England, and by whom he has seven children, three sons and four daughters.
Foley, William H.
Foley, William H., of the firm of Foley & Oswald, general merchants and grain dealers, Random Lake; was born in New York State, on the 18th of March, 1842; came West, with his parents, in 1844, locating in New Hartford, Washington Co., on a farm which his father, William Foley, purchased from the Government. Here the subject of this sketch remained until June, of 1874, when he came to Random Lake, Sheboygan Co., where he opened a store, it being the first one in the village. Mr. Foley and his partner, John Murphy, continued to run it for five years, when the latter retired and Mr. Oswald took his place, their mercantile business amounting to $15,000 per annum; they also handle grain and produce. Mr. Foley is a Notary Public, and, also Justice of the Peace, and was married, in Washington County, Oct. 15, 1872, to Ellen Murphy.
Oswald, Nicholas C.
Oswald, Nicholas C., of the firm Foley & Oswald, merchants, and proprietor of the Union House, Random Lake; was born in Germany, in February, 1843. He came to the United States, with his parents, Dominick and Francis Oswald, in the year 1850, locating in the town of Belgium, Ozaukee Co., Wis. Here the subject of this sketch started to work by the month, and afterward farmed for himself until 1871, when he moved to Random Lake and started the first hotel in the village, which he is still running. Mr. Oswald is also engaged in the farm machinery business, with Mat Frederick, and started to build the first house in the village, excepting the railroad building, it being destroyed by fire the same year. He was married, in Ozaukee County, in 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Hanson.
Steuerwald, Daniel, proprietor of American Hotel, and dealer in groceries and lumber, Sherman Station, P.O. Odell, was born in Germany March 30, 1840; came to the United States in 1842, settling first in New York State, where they lived for a short time, then going West to Wisconsin, locating in Milwaukee in 1844, and in 1846 moved on a farm in Washington Co. In 1856 Daniel went to Michigan, and in 1857 went South, returning in 1859 to Wisconsin. He then started farming, which he followed until 1862, when he enlisted in the late war in Co. G, 26th W.V.I., serving for two years and nine months. Then he returned home and rented his farm, at the same time buying a grist-mill, and in 1874 went to Saukeville, where he bought a saw-mill, which he operated until 1877, when he came to Sherman and started a hotel of which he is now proprietor. He was married in 1860 in Milwaukee to Margaret Bloss, by whom he had two children and who died Oct. 15, 1867; was married to his second wife, Miss Emma Burns, of Washington Co., Aug. 21, 1868.
Copyright 1997 - 2009 by Debie Blindauer
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids