Search billions of records on
Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Genealogy & History

This page is part of the site located at There is no charge or fee to access this site or any information on it. If you have arrived here from somewhere else, such as a pay site, and are in a frame, you can click the above url to access this page directly.

This News Article was transcribed & contributed by Kay R.

Arizona Republican - Phoenix, Arizona - March 28, 1907

(From Monday's Daily)

Joe Monihan yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock found the body of John Leicht there ended the most exhaustive search for a missing man that was ever conducted in these parts, a search that lasted almost a week and in which hundreds of officers, citizens, farmers, Indian trailers and boys participated. At the same time there was discovered indubitable evidence that Leicht was murdered.

His slayer was Louis V. Eytinge. Eytinge's crime is the most cold-blooded and revolting murder that has ever been recorded in the criminal annals of this section.

Saturday the area north of Phoenix in which it would have been possible for Eytinge to have driven within the time he is known to have been absent from the city, swarmed with anxious searchers for the body of Leicht, whom they had come to believe had been murdered by Eytinge for the purpose of (unreadable word). Among the many who decided to enjoy the pleasant weather, and incidentally to be on the lookout for some trace of the body, were (unreadable) and Joe Monihan. They drove (unreadable) on the Center street road until they crossed the Arizona canal and then turned west.

The Search Rewarded

About two-thirds of the way to the (unreadable) section line and about 200 yards (unreadable) the Arizona canal innumerable (unreadable) attracted the attention of Mr. Monihan, and a few minutes later, walking up on gently rising ground, (unreadable) a little ironwood tree, he saw the body of the dead man.

After a very cursory examination he ran to the nearest telephone and informed the sheriff's office of the find. Immediately Coroner Johnstone impounded a jury and accompanied by (unreadable) wagon of Easterling & Whit(unreadable) and a number of citizens either (unreadable) or personally interested in the (unreadable) friends or officials, the start (unreadable) for the scene of the crime. It was then after 4 o'clock and it was some time after dark before the party returned to town. The conditions were (unreadable) the jury and the inquest was (unreadable) until 1:30 o'clock today.

The Curious Crowd

A large procession followed the coroner to the scene; wagons full of people who had been searching, had heard of finding the body and had fallen in line when the coroner went by, curious to see for themselves. When they (unreadable) a gathering of several carriages (unreadable) were already on the (unreadable) Home has found the body and Mr. Monihan was busy telephoning the officers and some had heard (unreadable) and gathered. Several remarked that they may have passed by within a few (unreadable) of it during the past few days. It was not visible for any distance at (unreadable) a southern approach, though from the north it could have been seen at a distance. The body was in such a pitiful state of decomposition, so (unreadable swollen and broken by swelling that it is doubtful if a bullet wound could have been located had there been one. The body was lying with its shoulders resting on the ground, (unreadable) leg somewhat drawn up and (unreadable) over the left, the right arm on the body and the left one thrown out, (unreadable) much after the attitude sometimes assumed by a drunken man in contortions. Two or three cartridge shells, 38 calibre, were picked up near the body. This led to a suspicion of shooting, but Capt. Hi McDon(unreadable) reported that they were from (unreadable). He had come upon the body during the absence of Mr. Monihan and had fired three times to give warning.

Chloroform Employed

Near the body was a handkerchief and not far away lay a small chloroform bottle with the stopper in it. The bottle was practically empty and the bottle bore the label of Ed (unreadable) a Phoenix druggist. Some yards away was a pint can or tin, empty, but (unreadable) chloroform. Whether Eytinge intended to kill his victim, or only intended for him to lie in a stupor until he got (unreadable) no man knows. The result is (unreadable) in any event. Leicht is said to have been unused to liquor: (unreadable he was not a frequent of regular (unreadable). Some believe that Eytinge (unreadable) from the flask in his pocket and he later left at the stable, kept (unreadable) the liquor into Leicht, himself pretending to drink when he took none. (Unreadable) his victim practically drank all (unreadable) taken from the bottle; that he got him intoxicated in the buggy, (unreadable) him to lie down under the tree to sleep it off, then applied the chloroform to him to further assure unconsciousness while he robbed him.

Identification Complete

In the man's pocket's were found two letters, a pocket knife, a hand(unreadable), lead pencil, one of Eytinge's business cards and a card showing membership in (unreadable) lodge of Sheboygan. His (unreadable) lay nearby, having the trade name of a Sheboygan firm on it. The identification was thereby complete.

The body was brought to town and (unreadable) was employed to make a (unreadable) examination in search of bullet (unreadable). The skin of the body had (unreadable) as black as the skin of a negro, and when the clothing was cut away the flesh came with it. A careful examination showed no mark of violence on the skull or elsewhere, that could be detected.

Mr. Kolberg last night notified the family and asked for instructions regarding the disposition of the body. Kolberg says he also desires to thanks the hundreds of people who have so kindly assisted in this (unreadable) trying search to clear up what (unreadable) to remain and inexplicable mystery. He appreciates this help as do the relatives and friends of (unreadable). The dead man was raised in Sheboygan, was a barber by trade, and had been known by Mr. Kolberg for (unreadable) years.

Every means available will be employed to apprehend Eytinge. Circulating forth the description of him furnished by the authorities of the (unreadable) prison, with his photograph (unreadable) there and another as he appeared when he came to Phoenix, will be sent (unreadable).

The sheriff's office has already been (unreadable), but until now Eytinge has only been charged with forgery. (Unreadable) will be made to Governor (unreadable) off a reward for his arrest (unreadable) that the greater crime of Eytinge has been established the gover(unreadable) doubtless offer the largest they can under the law - $500.

Murderer And Victim

Leicht and Eytinge both arrived in Phoenix on the same train on March 6th. Their acquaintance was formed on the train en route here, but just where they first met is not known. Leicht was about 23 years old, a citizen of Sheboygan, Wis., unmarried, an asthmatic, and came here hoping to receive climatic benefits. Eytinge, it has since been learned, was discharged from the Ohio penitentiary not a great while ago. It is said his relatives or friends, in Dayton, Ohio, arranged with him to pension him with a monthly stipend, sufficient for him to live on, if he would keep away from his childhood haunts, as he had been constantly in trouble until sent to the penitentiary for forgery. During his imprisonment his mother died of a broken heart. Eytinge himself became affected with tuberculosis during his confinement, and it developed into a sore on the top of his foot, which was operated on in his room by Dr. Palmer of this city a week ago last Thursday.

Soon after their arrival in Phoenix, Leicht, accompanied by Eytinge, call upon J. J. Kolberg having formerly resided in Sheboygan and having known him. They had a pleasant chat in which the strangers spoke of their desire to get located in good quarters. Mr. Kolberg told them to wait until some of the laundry drivers came in and he would see is they could suggest a good place. Among others the Dorris was mentioned. A day or two later the two men called on Kolberg again. Eytinge shortly withdrew, as he had done on the first visit, saying that he supposed they wanted to talk about matters that did not concern him, being old townsmen. Kolberg said that somehow he never liked the looks of Eytinge and instinctively locked the safe as soon as he came in. On this occasion as soon as he withdrew, Leicht told him that he and Eytinge had secured a room at the Dorris when Kolberg remarked that he ought not to take a room that way with a stranger. However, they got along well and nothing more was thought of the incident.

They passed the time as strangers naturally would in the city until about Thursday, March 14, when Eytinge has the operation performed. On Saturday night, March 16th, he called at The Republican office and said he was going for a drive in the country the next day.

The Fatal Drive

Sunday morning, March 17, between 8 and 9 o'clock, Eytinge and Leicht secured a horse and buggy at Ensign's stable. They had a luncheon and a bottle of liquor and other paraphernalia for an ordinary picnic. They had remarked at the stables when they started that they were to be gone all day, so when Eytinge returned to the stable about noon there was some surprise and Eytinge was asked why he came back so soon. He said his friend had been taken ill and the drive was cut short. Eytinge next went to the Dorris. The landlady was sleeping, but he had her called, saying his business was urgent. She reluctantly got up and he told her he was going to Bisbee that evening and he was a little short of money and wanted her to cash a check given by Mr. Kolberg. She hesitated at first, but knowing Kolberg and knowing that he knew Eytinge, and also being somewhat dazed by a sudden rousing fro her sleep, she cashed the check. She then asked him where Leicht was and he told her he had been taken sick and had stopped at the residence of Kolberg, but would be home the next morning. Eytinge left for the train that evening for the south. He saw a man at Maricopa who had known him in the east and who was then going to Tucson. Eytinge told him he was going to Pasadena to marry a rich widow. The story was given the police when the informant returned from Tucson. Sine then Eytinge has not been heard from.

The First Suspicion

A week ago this morning, the next day after Eytinge's departure, the landlady of the Dorris sent her daughter to the bank with the check when she was told that Kolberg had no account there. Kolberg was next found, and said he had no deposit in that bank and the check was a forgery. He went to the Dorris for an explanation and while there the landlady asked him about the welfare of Leicht. Kolberg said he had not seen him for two or three days. He was told that Eytinge reported leaving him at his home. It was then that murder began to be suspected and the crooked trail of Eytinge began to be unraveled.

It was learned that Eytinge on Sunday afternoon had tried to cash a check for $25 with Bob Fromm at the Bank Exchange saloon. The check was issued in Sheboygan to Leicht and Eytinge said his friend was sick and needed the money. Fromm refused and he remarked that Fromm's partner, Pete Kraber, was an old townsman of Leicht and knew him well. Still Fromm was obdurate, but after he went off shift and Kraber came on, Eytinge returned and made the story of Leicht's necessities stick. Mr. Kraber cashed the check.

Beginning Of The Search

When these things were discovered the sheriff and city marshal at once got a warrant for Eytinge on the charge of forgery and began a telegraphic campaign trying to locate him, which has thus far proved unsuccessful. In the meantime, Mr. Kolberg and several deputy sheriffs began a search for Leicht, Monday afternoon. Tuesday they were joined by others, including many farmers north of the city. Since then the search has been continued with a daily increased force, including Indian trailers, high school boys, farmers, deputies, and in fact, every body who had time to participate or who could be induced to do so by the offer of a hundred dollars reward for the body, made by Mr. Kolberg.

Of the life and character of Eytinge it may be said that while he is not an offensive or repulsive looking man his entire thoughts and instincts seem to be criminal. He dwells on such things and seems to be proud of his connections with them. During the incident of the Lloyds, which occurred a couple of weeks ago, by reason of their having apartments in the same house, he injected himself into their affair as a quasi friend of the accused woman and paraded himself in her company after she was released from custody, though it is not now believed that he knew of them before of followed them away. He left a part of his personal effects in his room and among other things a letter addressed to a woman in San Francisco, seemingly inadvertently not mailed though the police believe it was left there purposely as a blind. It stated that he would be with her in Frisco last Wednesday.

Eytinge was a nephew of the late Rose Eytinge, the famous actress and authoress.

Eytinge The Author

When Eytinge came to Phoenix he called at The Republican office and presented credentials showing that he had been connected with the staff of the Columbus, Ohio Dispatch, having charge of the department of the criminal courts and the state prison. He subsequently left for perusal several typewritten copies of stories which he had written and were published by The Frederick A. Stokes Publishing company of Boston under the title of "Stories of Crimes." It was not his intention that they should be given publicity in advance of their appearance by his publishers.

One night while Eytinge was confined to his room after the operation on his foot he sent Leicht to this office after the stories. As the reading of them had not been finished, Leicht was persuaded to leave them and they were never afterward called for. The stories are supposed to have been told by convicts. A close study of them in the light of the tragedy convinces that they could have been written by no one in whom the criminal instinct and training was predominant. Eytinge was well equipped in this respect and beside there was brought to his aid an intellectual mind, a literary adaptability, a college training and a subsequent newspaper career.

There is a story written by Louis V. Eytinge inserted here which I am not going to transcribe.

A Formal Murder Charge

The inquest on the body of John Leicht, the victim of Louis V. Eytinge, yesterday afternoon by Coroner Johnstone, was followed by formal charges of murder against Eytinge and renewed efforts were at once made for his apprehension. In fact, the sheriff's office, anticipating the finding of the coroner's jury, immediately after discovery of the body of Leicht on Sunday afternoon, began a vigorous campaign with the new material which had just been received from the authorities of the Ohio state prison and prepared to flood the county with a description of the murderer.

A special meeting of the board of supervisors was held in the morning and an order was made for the offering of a reward of $250 for the arrest of Eytinge. Application was also made to Governor Kibbey, who said that he would offer the largest reward allowed by the law on compliance with the proper formalities by the county authorities. That will be $500. A telegram was received last night from the secretary of Lodge No. 277 of the Eagles of Sheboygan, Wis., of which Leicht was a member, stating that the lodge would pay a reward of $250.

Thus there will offered altogether $1,000, which will no doubt greatly stimulate the search since the offer will put in an unusually attractive form. The only condition to be named is the apprehension and arrest of Eytinge. Nothing is to be said about his conviction or the delivery of him to the jail in this county.

The inquest brought out nothing of vital interest in the case which had not been covered by the Republican's story yesterday morning of the finding of the body of Leicht and the jury reached the conclusion within five minutes after the submission of the evidence that Leicht's death was caused by chloroform administered by Eytinge with the intent to commit murder.

More than a dozen witnesses were examined by District Attorney Bullard. Among them were Mrs. Veach and Lillian Veach of the Dorris lodging house, where Leicht and Eytinge lived, but their story was told long ago.

J. A. Wieder and Grant Wieder said that they had seen the men in the morning of March 17 on their outward journey and an hour and a half later had seen Eytinge returning to town alone. Eugene Todd of Bonny View ranch and Minnie Todd had also seen them soon after they left town and also saw Eytinge coming back. It was, by the way, at Bonnie View that the first trace of the direction taken by the murder and the murdered was picked up, but after that the whole country north of the city appeared to have seen either both of the men or Eytinge on his way back to town with the stain of murder on him.

James Smith said that about noon Eytinge called at the dairy with which he is connected and wanted a drink of fresh milk. He wanted it directly from the cow and gave Smith a collapsible drinking cup into which Smith drew the warm milk. He noticed that at the time the sup smelled of whisky.

Dr. Wiley testified as to the condition of the body which, on account of its state of decomposition, could not be given a close examination, but he was quite sure that no outward violence had been inflicted.

The most interesting testimony of the day was offered by E. B. Rives, the druggist from whom the bottle and the chloroform can found near Leicht's body had been bought. The vial was a small one, holding about half an ounce. The label had been washed off but it was found near by and showed that the bottle had contained chloral hydrate. Mr. Rives remembered selling both the can and the bottle. The latter had been sold several days before the former. He was not quite sure as to the appearance of the purchaser, but he recently identified Eytinge from his convict photograph priated (sic) by The Republican yesterday morning as the buyer of the chloroform. He remembers also that he was a voluble young man and he otherwise described the mannerisms of his customer so accurately that all who knew Eytinge recognized him. Mr. Rives was quite sure that the same man had bought both.

Mr. Rives said that chloral hydrate is sometimes called "knock out drops," and that five drops of it is sufficient to put a quietus on a man for hours, especially if taken with whisky. There was enough of it in the bottle to kill several men, to say nothing of the quantity of chloroform which would have sent a dozen men to eternal sleep.

The supposition is that Eytinge gave Leicht the "knock out drops" in whisky in the collapsible cup and that by the time they arrived at the place where the body was found the boy was as good as dead. He appeared to have been dumped out of the buggy and left lying where he fell, for Joe Monihan, who discovered the body, and Captain Hi McDonald, who came up soon afterward, said that the tracks of the buggy wheels were not more than eight inches from the body. They said that there was and earth mark on one of Leicht's trousers knees showing where he had struck when he was thrown from the buggy. The body otherwise had the appearance of having been carelessly pitched where it lay.

The buggy tracks went on to a clump of bushes into which the horse had been driven and a man's tracks in a wash just below, showed that Eytinge had approached the body along it. It was then that he rifled it and spreading a handkerchief over the face of the already dead or helpless boy he fastened it down on one side by a hat and poured the contents of the pint can of chloroform on it. This handkerchief belonged to the murderer, for in one corner was embroidered the letter "E."

That so much chloroform was used is arrived at by two circumstances. Mr. Rives said that Eytinge bought the drug about ten days ago fro yesterday, for on the tent day and for several days before that Eytinge was still confined to his room for the operation on his foot. It must therefore have been on Saturday, March 16, that the chloroform was bought, and it may be assumed that none had been used until the next day. The fact that the can was closed tightly when it was found showed that nothing had been taken out of it since Eytinge used it and then it was empty.

After the robbery and the covering of the face of Leicht, Eytinge went back to the clump of bushes, got his horse and drove back along the same wheel tracks and left behind forever the boy who had nursed him in his recent helplessness, who had carried his meals to him and who had been proud of his companionship.

After the inquest, John Kolberg prepared to pay the reward of $100 he had offered for the discovery of the body. He suspected that Mr. Monihan would not take it from him as the friend of the dead man, and he gave the check to Sheriff Hayden to be delivered to the finder.

When the check was presented to him, Mr. Monihan took it - tore it into small pieces and threw them on the floor. He had spent nearly a week in hunting for the body, but he said that he had been engaged in a duty that every citizen owed to the community. Beside he said that if Mr. Kolberg could be public-spirited enough to offer the reward, he could be public-spirited enough to refuse it.

W. M. Fickas yesterday received a letter from Meuches & Hickman, an insurance firm of Dayton, O., saying that they had been asked by an aunt of Eytinge to inquire concerning the particulars of the crime with which he was charged. All she knew of it she had learned in a brief telegram saying that he was wanted for murder. The letter stated that the aunt had been sending Eytinge remittances. The object of the inquiry was to ascertain whether Eytinge was merely under suspicion on account of his prison record or whether there was positive evidence that he had committed murder..

The Lima News - Lima, Ohio - April 22, 1927

Dayton Writer Jailed On Bad Check Charges

Louis Eytinge, Advertising Man Served Time for Violation at Wapakoneta

Freed Because Of Health

Wife Makes Futile Efforts to Raise Money to Free Husband

Dayton, Ohio, April 22 - (INS) - Telegraphic dispatches quoting Mrs. Pauline Diver Eytinge, wife of Louis Victor Eytinge, held in Kansas City on a forgery charge, as declaring she had appealed recently to Eytinge's uncle for financial aid for the former New York advertising man, were denied here today by Theodore Meuche, 60, of Dayton, Eytinge's uncle.

"I have had no appeal for aid from Eytinge or his wife," said Meuche. "If they have separated, this is the first time I have heard of it."

The uncle declared that Eytinge first got into trouble when he was charged with forgery at Wapakoneta, Ohio, and that he served two years in Ohio penitentiary as a result of his conviction.

"He was released because he was said to have been suffering from tuberculosis, and went to Arizona for his health," he said, "and there he was convicted in connection with the killing of a man."

Eytinge is a native of Dayton, and his parents died here. He is said to have amassed considerable money conducting and advertising business while in the penitentiary, but, according to his uncle, he is "broke" now.

Eytinge was married in New York City on Jan. 4, 1923, only a few days after his release from the penitentiary, where he served 16 years.

Return to the Sheboygan Page

Return to the Newspaper Articles & Index Page

If you have any question e-mail Debie

Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights reserved