Atwell & Detert
Allied: Cosby, Caldwell, Pettus, Dabbs, Kuhlman (Kolman), Borgstedt, Finkeldei, Post
Related: Shinn, Tock
Bessie Adelaide Shinn was born Oct 10 1888, the youngest of Heman Doyle and Emma Sophia Tock Shinn’s children. Bessie married 1st Clarence Atwell and 2nd, Delmar Detert.
Clarence Atwell was born Sep 1886 in North Carolina, probably Salisbury City, Rowan county. His parents were William Alexander Atwell and Mary Cornelia Cosby. The Atwell name is a storied and prolific name in Rowan, Cabarrus and neighboring areas of North Carolina but I have not as yet established for sure William’s parentage. Clarence’s mother, Mary Cornelia Cosby was born Sep 1858 in North Carolina, the daughter of Howard Zachariah Cosby (b. 1817, Augusta co., Virginia) and Susan A. Caldwell (b. 1819, North Carolina). Not much is known about Clarence’s father William except that he was born in May of 1855 in North Carolina. William married Mary Cornelia Cosby in 1878. They had:
· William Atwell (b. Apr 1879, Cabarrus co., North Carolina- d. young)
· Charlotte “Lottie” Atwell (b. 16 Feb 1880, Cabarrus co., North Carolina- d. unk.)
· Sarah “Sallie” Atwell (b. 13 Feb 1881, Cabarrus co.- d. 18 Jan 1958, Charlotte, Mecklenburg, North Carolina), married 1st, Samuel Pettis/Pettus on Aug 3 1904, Rowan co. They had a son, Samuel M. Pettus in 1907. Sallie later married John L Dabbs after her first husband died.
· Clarence Atwell (see above)
· Cornelia “Cornie” Atwell (b. May 1889, Rowan co.)
· Howard Cosby Atwell (b. 21 Dec 1890, Rowan co.)
· Ida Frances Atwell (b. 25 Feb 1892, Rowan co.)
· Margaret Emma Atwell (b. 2 Aug 1895, Iredell or Rowan co., North Carolina)
Clarence came west to California and was living with the Shinn family as a “visitor” in the 1910 census. Not long after this he married Bessie and they had a daughter, Ruth. Clarence died not long after and Bessie remained a widow until she married Delmar Ross Detert in the early ‘20s.
Delmar Ross Detert was born 28 Sep 1893 in Concordia, Lafayette, Missouri to Julius Henry and Ida Catherine Kuhlman Detert. Julius Detert (b. 4 Jun 1867, Missouri) was the son of Henry (b. 20 Jun 1835- d. 11 Feb 1881) and Carolina (b. 18 Jan 1840- d. 1 Nov 1910) Detert who came to Missouri from Prussia in the early 1860’s. Ida Kuhlman (b. 9 Dec 1869, Concordia, Missouri) was the daughter of John Henry Kuhlman, also sp. Kolman (b. 20 Feb 1827, Prussia- d. 31 May 1900, Concordia) and Catherine Marie Borgstedt (b. 22 Apr 1829, Halle, Gütersloh, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany- d. 28 Jan 1907, Concordia). Julius and Ida had:
· Delmar Ross Detert (see above)
· Clarence Henry Detert (b. 28 Apr 1896, Concordi- d. 20 Jul 1953, Tenterfield, NSW, Australia), buried Stanthorpe Cem. in Queensland.
· Ralph Detert (b. Nov 1898, Concordia)
Ida died 18 Jun 1901 in Concordia and Julius subsequently remarried Emma Finkeldei (b. 1882 in Missouri). Julius and Emma had:
· Leslie A. Detert (b. 3 Aug 1906, Concordia)
Julius and Emma divorced and Emma eventually remarried Everett E Logsden. Julius remarried Gertrude Post (b. 14 Mar 1886, Missouri- d. 8 Feb 1953, San Joaquin co., Cal.) and died 14 Dec 1949 in San Joaquin co., Cal.
Delmar is listed as a hired man in the 1920 census with the Shinn family. He married Bessie in the mid-1920’s and they had a daughter, Marilyn (the Shinn Blue Book which is mentioned and cited as a resource throughout this website was co-authored by Marilyn).
Rowan, North Carolina | Cabarrus, North Carolina | Lafayette, Missouri