Berks County, Pennsylvania
Alsace, Cumru, and Tulpehocken Townships
All genealogy research contain errors, so let me know if your research contradicts mine. My research of Indiana and Ohio families comes from conversations with relatives, copied scrapbooks, library research, online records, courthouse visits, and multiple visits to final resting places on family farms and cemeteries. Families in other states rely mostly on the research of others. If you have additional information on any families, corrections, photos, or anything to add to the history of our families, please leave a Comment in my Guest book, join my Follis Families on Facebook page, or send an Email. Read Dick Eastman's discussion of Unverified Data.
My families listed in the members of Little Swatara Congregation of 1770 German Baptist Brethren include Peter HECKMAN, minister and wife, his son John HECKMAN and wife who was Barbara MEYER HECKMAN, Jacob MOYER and wife - Barbara MEYER's parents, Philip ZEIGLER and wife the ZIEGLER immigrant family and whose farm was passed down through the ZIEGLER family until 1972. Dwayne Wrightsman gave an interesting discussion of the Early Brethren Farms on Little Swatara Creek on the Brethren Mailing List. I have some more on the Ziegler Meeting House.
On page 156-157 of Holsinger History of the Tunker's is ancestors Brother Peter Heckman minister, his son John Heckman and wife, Jacob Moyer and wife, and Philip Ziegler and wife.
My fifth great-grandparents Johann Gottfried BREININGER 1705-1768 Werttenberg, Germany to Cumru Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania and Maria Elisabetha Unknown 1707-1794 Werttenberg, Germany to Berks County, Pennsylvania.
My fourth and fifth great-grandparents Christian KUNZI 1740-1825 Switzerland to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania to Botetourt County, Virginia and Mary Unknown 1748-1828 Berks County, Pennsylvania to Botetourt County, Virginia.
Christian's parents Christian KUNTZI 1700-1774 and Sarah Unknown 1705-1789 both from Switzerland to Berks County, Pennsylvania. Are likely mentioned on as members of Oley's Congregation page 154 of Holsinger's history of the Tunker's and the Brethren Church. On page 153 of the Holsinger history above, Elder Peter Becker presided over a meeting at Oley in 1732.
My fourth great-grandparents Johann Peter BRACH 1757-after 1830 Berks to Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania to Fairfield County, Ohio and Elisabeth BREININGER probably Pennsylvania to 1823 Fairfield County, Ohio. Found with Casper and George Brough in 1767 Brunswig tax lists.
Peter's parents Johann Casparus BRACH 1704-1782(85) Loetzbeuren, Germany to Berks County, Pennsylvania and Sophia LAUTER 1719-about 1780 Oberdiebach, Germany to Berks County, Pennsylvania.
From PROUGH MyFamily.com "Casper was born about 1704 in Lötzbeuren, Rhineland-Palatinate, Prussia and died about 1781 in Brunswick Township, Berks County, PA. Sophia was born 1719 in Oberdiebach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany and died about 1780 in Brunswick Township, Berks County, PA".
My fifth great-grandparents George ROYER 1710-after 1772 Bohl, Germany to Berks County now Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Elizabeth who died before 1769.
George's parents Sebastian ROYER 1688 to 1758-1759 Bohl, Germany to Berks County now Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Agnes FLOCKIRTH 1685-1758 Bohl, Germany to Berks County now Lancaster County, Pennsylvania daughter of Johann Wendel FLOCKIRTH.
6th great-grandparents Johann Lorenz and Susanna SCHOLLENBERGER and Johann Friederich and Anna Catharina HOPPACH SCHOLLENBERGER from Albig, Germany to Greenwich Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania.
My fifth great-grandparents Jacob ZIEGLER 1760-1799 Berks County to Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania and wife Catherine KINSEY about 1762-?, Lancaster/Berks County, Pennsylvania to Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
Jacob's grandson Joseph ZIEGLER was born near Carlisle, Berks County, Pennsylvania about 20 miles north of Gettysburg famous from the Civil War and another 10 miles south to Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland where my ZUMBRUN faimiles lived.
Jacob's parents Philip ZIEGLER 1734-1803, wife Regina REQUEL 1730-1824 Bern, Switzerland to Berks County, Pennsylvania.
My sixth great-grandfather Heinrich ZUMBRUN born about 1718 in Switzerland died in Berks County, Pennsylvania.
- Appalachian Trail as it Passes Through Berks County
- Berks County Association for Graveyard Preservation - their Grave Happenings Newsletters
- Berks County Cemeteries
- Berks County Cemetery Index at PA GenWeb - gives transcribed names
- Berks County Cemetery Index at library - $5.00 per name to look up
- Berks County, PA GenWeb - bcdisplay - Berks.pa-roots
- Berks County Genealogicial Society
- Berks County Government
- Berks County Government Searchable Indexes - birth, marriage, death, estates
- Berks County Mailing List
- Berks County Message Board - Rootsweb Ancestry.com
- Berks County Register of Wills - the county site their Search - Berks County Register of Wills Search Application - county web site found many
- BerksWeb Genealogy Links
- Blue Mountain Hotel and Fort Dietrich Snyder from French and Indiana War
- Daniel Boone Homestead
- Deeds Berks County Recorder of Deeds Online Services
- Deeds - Recorder Online Records Search Instructions
- Deeds and Mortgage Index Books Simple Search
- Did Forts Once Stand Along the Blue Mountains in Berks County? - Reading Eagle newspaper article
- Pricetown, Berks County, Pennsylvania - Oldest Brethren Meeting House - Christian Kinsey attended this church in 1770
- Henry Janssen Library
- Historical Society of Berks County, Pennsylvania
- Jon and Kate Plus Eight - the Gosslin 10 live near Reading, Pennsylvania, Kate Kreider Gosselin - about 8 miles west of the Christian Kinsey Homestead
- Oley Brethren Church - Peter Becker preached here as early as 1724 where Christian Kinsey attended in 1770
- Oley Township Historic District - original home of KINSEY famiilies
- Oley Valley Heritage Society
- Pennsylvania State Birth and Death Certificates
- Proprietary and state tax lists of the county of Berks: for the years 1767-1785 - By William Henry Engle - has most families listed
- Sacred Oak of Oley Township - Can You Explain? - newspaper article discusses the 400 year old oak tree, Berks County Champs calls it a Chinkapin Oak, Wikipedia and even a Facebook Page The Sacred Oak, Oley, PA
- SimpleSearch Land Record Index Lookup - found many land records
- Township & Borough Maps Berks County, Pennslyvania government - PAGenWeb
- TriCounty Heritage Society - Berks, Chester, and Lancaster Counties
- Web Sites at Rootsweb - Berks Co PA
- Wikipedia - Wiki map