Catherine EIKENBERRY and Thomas Jefferson FOLLIS
Preble and Greene County, Ohio to Union, Miami and Wabash County, Indiana
Google Maps Street Level View or View Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery,Wabash County, Indiana in a larger map
Click + or - to Zoom In or Out, Click on the colored pin to see the details of the location
Click and drag the hand to move the map, or click the link above to see all my ancestor locations.
Thomas Jefferson FOLLIS born in 1823 Greene County, Ohio and died in 1882 Somerset, Wabash County, Indiana. He married Catharine EIKENBERRY on November 11, 1841 in Union County, Indiana. Catharine was a daughter of Samuel EIKENBARY and Mary ALBAUGH. They were in Wabash County, Indiana for the 1860 census. Catherine born in 1822 Preble County, Ohio, died in 1864 Somerset, Waltz Township, Wabash County, Indiana. Catharine is buried in the Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery relocated from near Mount Vernon in the 1960's for the Mississinewa Reservoir flood control project. I assume Thomas is buried in one of the unmarked graves located around Catherine and their sons John and Samuel.
The original Somerset, Wabash County, Indiana was on the Old Francis Slocum Trail along the Mississinewa River in memory of Francis Slocum a white Quaker girl taken captive by a group of Lenape Indians on November 2, 1778 in the Wyoming district near the Wilkes-Barre fort in Pennsylvania and died in 1847. Buried along the Mississinewa River in the Slocum Cemetery also moved for the Mississinewa Reservoir flood control project in the 1960's. A book Francis Slocum: the lost Sister of Wyoming, web sites Slocum has photos and Story of Francis Slocum from the Scranton, Pennsylvania June 19, 1916 The Morning Republican newspaper.
James Whitcomb Riley 1849-1916 the famous Indiana Poet has a loose connection with our family. One of his biographies said he worked as a painter as a young man painting bill boards and spent some time in Somerset, Wabash County, Indiana. His most famous poem Little Orphant Annie is about Mary Alice Smith of Union County, Indiana born near Liberty, Union County, Indiana in 1850 shortly after the Follis' left for Miami County, Indiana where we appeared in the 1850 census. The "Raggedy Anne" doll, the musical "Annie" based on the comic Strip "Li'l orphan Annie" all resulted from this poem. Riley wrote 'Mongst the Hill's of Somerset which is mostly likely about Somerset, Pennsylvania where he spent some time and Kingry's Mill which begs the question did he know a Kingery family? It mentions Brandywine Creek near Greenfield where he was born and grew up about 80 miles from where our Kingery's lived near Liberty, Union County, Indiana.
13 Children of Catherine EIKENBERRY and Thomas FOLLIS are:
- Samuel P. FOLLIS 1842-1858 Indiana buried with mother at Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery.
- Mary Hannah FOLLIS 1843-1865 Indiana assume buried in Union County, Indiana
- Jacob FOLLIS 1845 Indiana assume buried in Union County, Indiana
- Isaac E. FOLLIS 1846-1928 Marion, Grant County, Indiana
- John A. FOLLIS 1848-1864 Indiana buried with mother at Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery
- William H. FOLLIS 1848-1889 Indiana a Civil War Veteran buried at Lancaster Cemetery Huntington County, Indiana with many Eikenberry and Follis relatives
- Daniel Y. FOLLIS 1850-1930 Indiana buried near mother at Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery
- Sarah E. FOLLIS 1852 Indiana assume buried in Union County, Indiana
- Rebecca A. FOLLIS 1853-1881 Indiana
- Thomas Jefferson FOLLIS 1856-1923 Indiana buried in Lindenwood Cemetery, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana
- Reuben M. FOLLIS 1858-1932 Indiana buried at Lancaster Cemetery Huntington County, Indiana with many Eikenberry and Follis relatives
- Lydia Jane FOLLIS 1859-1936 Indiana
- Arabella E. FOLLIS 1861-1937 Indiana
Thomas married his second wife Rebecca LANTERN (or is it LORING?) March 26, 1868 in Wabash County, Indiana.
Child of Thomas FOLLIS and Rebecca LANTERN-LORING is:
- Edward FOLLIS 1869-maybe 1942 Indiana, would like to know what happened to him
- Notes of Zona SHULTZ my 1997 query with obsolete email
- History and Genealogy of Peter EICHENBERG Family
- Miami, Union and Wabash County, Indiana census and other records
- Four Mile Virginia Colony by Merle Rummel
- Cemetery Records
- Newspaper Obituaries
- Ikenberry Family Web site has our FOLLIS Family from the Peter Eichenberg Family history book
More FALLIS FOLLIS pages: