Village of Dover
Begining in 1844 nearly 700 settlers were brought to this area by the British Temperance and Emigration Society, orangized in Liverpool England. By 1850 Dover boasted a Hotel, Post Office, Cooper, Wagon Shop and Stores. When the Railroad chose Mazomanie for a depot site, Doverites moved their houses to Mazomanie and Dover faded away to become a ghost town.
historical marker at Dover
Buried in the small cemetery at Dover are
Culver, Abigail wife of Alanson died May 7,
aged 49 yrs. 3 days
Culver, Frances J. dau. of E & A Culver died
Nov 17, 1866 aged 22 yrs. 5 mo. 11 days
2 small unmarked stones
1 small stone with initials E.R.C.
Culver, Erzastus B. son of J.A. & C. Culver
died Aug 9, 1855 aged 19 mo. 29 days
1 small stone with initials M.C.
Culver, Mary wife of John Culver died Feb 7, 1865
aged 74 yrs, 2 mo.
Culver, John died June 7, 1862 aged 62 yrs.
Large stone tablet: In memory of all the Dover Pioneers buried here. This community was settled by the members of the British Temperance and Emigration Society of England in the year of 1843.
Cemetery Restored by Dover Mothers Club in 1949.
Although the cemetery is well maintained (clean, mowed ect) many of the headstones that were repaired at one time are now broken again.