|Home Page||WorldConnect Family File||Contact Me|
|Quinte Family Mini Pages
Knowing the wonderful abilities and work of Loral and Mildred Wanamaker on early Quinte records, I have avoided researching the Wanamaker family. The document below was brought to light by Keith Brickman in response to a query about Frederick Fox and the brothers William and Henry Fox and may be of use to Quinte researchers.
|A SHORT NOTE|
Below is the full text from a mimeographed document on the Wanamaker Family of Ramapo Tract, NJ in the 1700's that was prepared by John Y. Dater from Bergen County, NJ. The document is not dated and the copyist states that it was found in the possession of John Y. Dater presumably after his death in 1985. The text of the original was cleaned up so that search engines could reliably find it. For comparison, the original mimeographed copy is available here on this site.
The document relates that, "The estate of Derrick A. Wanemaker [was] confiscated for joining the army of the King of Great Britain [and] sold at public auction." See page 3. It is quite apparent that the Quinte Wannamakers are connected to those mentioned below. There is a Peter Wanamaker, settled in Adolphustown, a sergeant in the Jersey Volunteers, 4th Battalion, 1791, on the UE List, p. 270. Also, see this version of the W's on the UE list with the extensive note at the bottom about the Wanamakers. There are quite a few Wanamaker/Wannamaker UC Land petitions that I have not persued. None for Derrick or Richard.
Peter Johnson, a past president of the UEL Assoc of Canada writes that:
See the biographical information about John Y. Dater at the bottom of this page.
THE WANAMAKER FAMILY
The Wannermachers (fanning wheel makers) came to America in 1710 as part of the Palatine emigration. Many of the 2500 who arrived were settled by the Gov. Hunter on land near Livingston Manor. The state failed to provide funds and many went to the valley of the Mohawk near Schoharie. They were persecuted by Louis XIV
There were four Wanamaker’s who came over from Germany: Johann Dietrich, Pieter, Titus, Ann 'Margaret, Johann Dietrich remained in New York along with others of his countrymen o
The titles for the Ramapock Tract had just been obtained in 1709 by a company of New York merchants and politicians who were actively seeking settlers. No better pioneers for their purpose
could be found than these newly arrived German husbandmen, vine growers and mechanics from the Rhine valley. Dietrich alone of the family had stayed in New York and apparently had the advantages of the Ramapogh Tract set before him. It was probably through him that his kin joined him. The records of the Hackensack Dutch Reformed Church and early land deeds recorded in Hack. show that all 4 of them were soon living at "Remmipog" on the Ramapock Tract at a place called and commonly known by the name of the "Island". The name Ramapo at that time indicated a general locality, the country near the river and the mountains of that name.
As early as Feb 1713 Pieter and his young wife Anne Clara Smidt were both living in Bergen Co. as their marriage record says. Peter had 3 sons bp at Hack.: Henarick, 1/27/1717; Willem 4/26/ 1719; Christian 2/18/1722. Hendrick the 1st son, was married l2/20 1745 to Elizabeth Frederick. Christiaen Stryt and Orseltie his wife were godparents of Christian.
Jan Adam and Eva, twins, were both to Titus Wannermacher and Anne Horman (Korman?) and bp 11/20/1719. Titus does not appear again. Peter's wife Clara and Titus both died at this time.
About 1720 or 21, Peter married Titus' widow, Annette Korman and by whom he had the child Christian, adding also to his family the infant twins Adam and Eve. Adam's name appears in a deed 33 yrs later. Annette Pieterse Koorman as the name implies, was a daughter of Pieter Koorman. The whole name is probably of French extraction.
Anna Margrieta Adamse Wannemaker marrried Cornraet Muysinger. The lands of the Muysingers and Wanamakers adjoined, their first recorded son was Han Hendrick, bp 2/18/1722. A 2nd son Johan Dederick was bp 1727, named after the first Dietrich. The latter, and his wife Anna Kimnie Wannamaker standing as godparents. On 2/18/1722 both Christian and Han Hendrick were bp Hack. Anna Margariete Adamse Wanamaker was the dau of Adam, her German father in the Old World.
Johann Dietrich Wanamaker had his name corrupted by Jersey Dutch into Diderick, Derrick, Dirk, all meaning Richard or Dick. He was affectionalely called. by his sons, “Father Derrick" None of his children were bp at Hack. He had 3 sons whose name are found in land deeds, Conrad, Christian and Peter. He had a dau Margaret whose marriage is recorded in Hachensack. The following extract from an early deed mentions his 3 sons, (Hackensack deeds
Liber D pg 120) dated 1/17/1767 . Indenture between Coenrad Wannamaker and Peter Wannemaker. Consideration £225 and was for land "lying at Ramapough betwixt my brother Christians and Peters land the land which we have of our father, Father Derrrick Wannemaker”
etc ••• “free of all encumbrance except the quit rent of one ear of corn to be paid yearly and every year to John Barbere or to his heirs' if demanded .. "
Ovn. Ma. dc 30. This must be Conrads. It can't be Christian, his brother's, because on 5/20/1783, the date of a conveyance from Adolph C. to Dirck C. Christian is spoken of as already deceased. Conrad Wanamaker therefore d 5/30/1783. Pieter Wannemaker, his brother, married Maria Schoert 8/15/1748.
The name of Father Derrick's son Christian, does not appear in the Hackensack or Schraalenburgh church records. His dau's name Margriet is found in Hackensack Church as married 10/29/1741 to Jacob DeHoogduytscher (?) She is probably Father Derrick's oldest child as she was apparently married before Conrad. Her husband Jacob's name appears twice elsewhere in the Hackensack church records, one of them in 1715. DeHoogduytscher means the
High German. Perhaps this was the the origin of Houvenkopy which was originally De Hoogkop - The High Head. The Dutch word hoog is the same as English "hugh" and German "hoch".
From Deeds, Liber d p 122; 2/26/1753 bet. Conrad Wannamaker of the Ilan in Bergen Co in the Province of E. Jersy, yoeman, and Peter Wannemaker of the same place, " ...... all title interest
and Demand whatsoever as I the sd Conrad had or ought to have in or to all of one certain tract of land situate in the Island ••••• bounded as folleweth: Beginning at a point on N.E. side of Adam Wannemaker running W. 60 chs then N 12 chs. and 65 lks, E 60 chs S 12 chs and 65 lks to place of beginning.” Recorded 1767. The Adam herein mentioned is the son of Titus and step-son of Peter Wannemaker, at this time, 32 yrs old.
Deeds, liber D/195 dated 1/8/1767: Peter & Maritie, his wf to Christian, a lot containing 35.64 acres •••• " all that certain lot of land situate and lying at Ramapough betwixt the sd Wannemaker's houses" etc •• These are Father Derrick's sons, Peter who mar Maria Schoert (Shuart) and Christian.
Deeds, liber D/l98 dated 5/20/1783, bet. Adulph Wannemaker and Dirck C. Wannamaker ••••• " all that certain messauge house, barn, and tract of land lying and being in the sd County of Bergen and at a place called and commonly known by the name of the Island whereon the sd Dirck C. Wanamaker now dwells, formerly the residence and property of Christian Wannamaker, Dec’d and is butted and bounded as follows: viz: North by the lands of the heirs of Coenrad. Maysinger, rec'd. South by the line of the lands of Peter Wanameker and East and West by the lands of the General Proprietors of N. J. containing in the whole 113 acres" The Adulph ad and Dirck C.(Christian) were sons of Christian and grandsons of Father Derrick.
Dirk Wanamaker married Antje Banta, dau of Cornelius and Rachel Banta on 4/19/1765 in the Schraal church and had 3 children: Ragel, bp 1/24/1768; Cornelius b 1l/2/l772; Cornelia bp 9/6/
1778. Ragel mar John Hicks 9/24/1789.
There were two contemporary Dirck Wannemakers, Dirck C., and Derrick A. The Schraal church record does not give the middle initial of the Dirck who mar -ntje Banta , but he was the son of Christian, Derrick A1, being the son of Adam. According to a headstone in the Mahwah cemetery, Adolphus died 12/28/1807 aged 56 yrs. His wf Margaret Frederick d 6/25/1837 ae 78 yrs. These were the grandparents of James D. Wanamaker of Suffern, N.Y.
Deeds, liber E page 4 .. dated 5/1/1787: Benjamin Shotwell of Woodbridge to Henry Wanamaker, for £196.17 .. - "all that certain messauge, tenemant, piece, parcel, lot or tract of land situate lying and being in the Twsp of Franklin and in sd Co. of Bergen being part of that tract of land commonly known by Barberies, 600 acre tract in the Patent of Ramapo beginning at the corner of Nicho Muysinger's south tract running S 87o W 60 ch; N 5o W 15 cha and 17 lks; N 87o E 60 chs; S 2o E 15 chs 17 lks to place of beginning. Bounded S by land of Nocho. Muysinger, W by land of the East Jersey Proprietors, N by Peter Wannamaker's land , E by the land of the East Jersey Props., containing 93 acres. The sd premises were formally confiscated to and sold for the use of the State of N.J. as will appear in a .deed of conveyance from Cornelius Haring Esq., agent of Bergen Co to sd Benjamin Shotwell bearing date 2/24/178711
The Henry in the above deed was Hendrick, first son of the first Peter.
The early settlers of the Ramapo Tract experienced much trouble and uncertainty as to the validity of their titles. The first difficulty was that this tract of and straddled the undetermined boundary between N.Y. & N.J. , but was supposed to lie entirely in N.J. The actual position of this line was a matter of dispute for' 110 years between these provinces and was not settled until 1774. The eastern end of the line for some time was fixed at Tappan and was finally located 2 miles to the south below "Sneden's House”. It is on record that N.J. gave a grant of lands as far north as Haverstraw to Balthazer DeHart, for which he afterwards had to obtain title from NY.
The settlers did not know within
which provincial jurisdiction they dwelt or should hold title. When called on
for military duty in either province they sometimes turned this situation to their
advantage by claiming residence in the other province. Worst of all the
original titles in the Ramapock ,Tract proved to be fraudulent. the history of
this tract is given in "Early Days and Surveys in N.J." by Wm
Roome of Butler, N J.
The boundaries of the Ramapock Tract were as follwws: "Beginning at a spring called Assemnaykepahaka; being the Northeaster most head spring of a River called in Indian Peramsepus and by the Christians, Saddle River; thence running southerly down the east side of sd river including the same to a place where a small creek or river coming from the Northward called Raighkamack (HoHoKus River) falls into sd Saddle River, about 16 mi1es distant from the above headspring, let it be more or less; thence Northwesterly just by a great rock called Pammackuputa, distant from the above sd river about 2 miles, and son. (sic) on the same course to that river known by the name Ramapock, , Punto , and Pissaick, just by a small fall of water above the plantation of Major Brockholst Pomtpon, at now the steel .works) and from thence crossing the sd river about a mile above a place where another river coming from the northwestward called Pamamaquancy, Pequaneck and Haysaghkin (now Pequanoc River) fails into sd river to the top of the opposite mountain; thence along the top of the sd mountain and up sd Ramapock River and about one mile up ever·
This was all then thought to be in the Province of NJ and consisted of 42,500 acres, lying as it turned out in both provinces. The reputed owners with their proportionate shares of this tract were: John Auboinean 3/24ths; Peter Fauconnier 7/24ths ; L. Kierstede 2/24; John Barberi e 3/24ths; Thomas Barjoix 2/24ths; Andrew Fresneau 2/24ths; Peter Baird 2/24ths and E. Boudinct 3/24ths.
In deeds to settlers recorded a Hackensack, they, themselves described their acquisition of the titles to this tract as follows: ...... “by an Indian purchased dated at Ramapock in the County of Bergen, in the Eastern Division of N.J. aforesaid, the 18th day of November, 1709 and for the Conveniency of conveying by the River the goods that were to be delivered to ye Indians acknowledged by them at Tappan at the time. They were paid before Cornelius Haring, one of the Justices of the Peace there on the 3rd day of Dec following and 'by a grant from ye Prorprietors of the Eastern Division aforesaid under the hand and seal of Peter Sonmans, Esq. their sole General and Lawful Agent and one of the se, Proprietors in his own right, dated, at N.Y. 12/9/1709" The above is from a deed dated 5/1/1712 to Gerrit Ackerman who bought land on the Saddle River.
In an deed dated 3/18/1712 to Johannea Van Blerkum., alias Captain of Bergen Co they claim title that ••••• " a certain piece of land, part of a large tract lying in Bergen Co a d Eastern Division of N. J. between Ramapoh, alias Pumpton, alias Pequanic River and Saddle River, lawfully purchased of the Indians, natural owners thereof ye 18 day of Nov 1709 and granted unto them the sd John Barberie (et al) by the Props of the Eastern Div. of NJ aforesd: as per the sd Indian deed and of Props grants thereof under the hand and seal of Peter Sonmans, Esq authentically allowed to be their sole General and Lawful Agent, Intendant and attorney and one of the Props himself."
The quit rents reserved in these two deeds deserve notice. Ackerman was to pay "on every 1st day of May hereafter ensuing the yearly rent of 8 good large fat fowls" and Capt. Van
Blarkum "the hereby reserved annual rent of two good young but yet full grown fat fowls on every 29th day of Sept yearly forever"
But all these chickens came home to roost. It turned out that Peter Sonmans had never been authorized by the other East Jersey Props to make such grants and they had been kept in ignorance of the whole transaction. The other props going to "this very remote region" as they called it, to layout divisions were interrupted and threatened by the settlers. "We found,"they said,"that on pretense of such deeds ( ie. the Ramapock Tract grant) about 20 persons had been imposed upon to buy". The settlers therefore found themselves with disputed titles to their lands with a likely prospect of dispossession and of losing all the money and labor they had expended.
In the beginning of the year 1775 of the Ramapock Tract purchased there were only 3 titles on the N.Y. side of the line recognized as valid by the Crown. One of these was John Sobrisco's 630 acres near Tallmans. the N. Y. part of Conrad Wanamaker’s 105 acres near the 15th mile stone on the N.Y. & N.J. line, also Jacobus van Buskirk's, one acre millright on the Mahwah River at the Nyack Turnpike bridge. In 1774 when the provincial line was finally fixed, these purchases from N.J. were confirmed by N.Y. In 1787 the Ramapock Committee reported that they "believed there will be no further trouble with the tenants of the Ramapock.”
Peter Sonmans, the chief promoter of the Ramapock Tract land schemes was quite a noted adventurer of his day and generation Concerning him, Gov. Hunter wrote to the Lords of Trade 8/13/1715 .... “as to Mr. Sonmans I have formerly informed your Lordships that he fled from prosecution for having carried out of the Province of Jersey and embezzeled all the public records ...... he is indeed one of the most infamous men of these parts, and his life and conduct are too fowl to be the subject of any letter which your Lordships are to read."
On the N.Y. side of the line grants were made by George III on 1/18/1775 and patents issued to several "reduced officers” known by the following with their proportionate shares: Robert Morris 3/11ths; John Delancey 4/11ths; John Jay 2/11ths; and Lawrence Kortright 2/11ths. John Suffern, who came to Ramapo in 1773 acted as their local agent.
According to Tompkins Hist. of Rock. Co, these parties sold to Hendrick Wanamaker 211 acres for £l06.17.5 “Spanish milled dollars at the rate of half a dollar for every pound thereof"
William Wanamker still has the bond given by Hendrick to Delancy and Morris in the sum of £500 to secure this payment dated 8/24/1786. To Derrick Wanamaker they sold 144.2 acres and to Adolphus Wanamaker 50 acres; James D. Wanamaker of Suffern still had the deed to Adolphus dated 1786 with signature of John Jay, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Hendrick was of the 2nd generation of the Peter Wanamkker family who settled on lands now comprising the Thomas F. Ryan estate and the surrounding neighbohhood. Derrick & Adolphus were of the 3rd generation of Father Derrick’s family.
In 1739 Charles Clinton made a
survey of the territory east of the Ramapo Mountains in the inteest of the
props of the Cheesepcocks Patent upon whose lands he was supposed
to be working. As a matter of fact he was
several miles astray to the south. The
notes he made in his field book of the early settlers are of much interest. He
plotted the territory into numbered lots which he desrcribed as he went
along. "Lot No. 87.= beginning at the small Hickorie Sapling Mark'd with
three notches on four sides standing at ye end 16 ch., measured upon a course S 43-53 ½.
Of lott no 75 he notes: "Isaac Bramer cleared field • •• Here a house belonging to Johan Slutt •••• the greatest part of the tillable land in this lott; is cleared by High Germans settled along the River (Mahwah River) as far as Ramapo River by Mr. Fauconnier. There is one Johan Slutt lives on this and it takes in a field or more (perhaps) of Isaac Bramer's land and a field belonging to another High German."
Lott no 88 •••• " at 63 ch crossed a road and entered into a cleared field about 1 ch south of a little meeting house belonging to one of the Germans"
Lott no 90, “Ramerpo River runs thru this lot. Luke Kierstede and one Larne live on this lott and some other man. I have heard that Kiersted and Larne are partners with Mr. Fauconnier and have the same title for this place that he has for the other lotts he has settled the Germans on. They have two stone houses and orchards." (note by copyist: this was not Larne, bur Laroe)
Lott no 76 "This lott takes in Isaac Bromer's house and another little house that lies SW of it •••• There is a bearing orchard”. On lott 57 he notes a hill which he writes down as Spitzbaragh. This was Spitzberg, the old and better name for Union Hill (the stonequarry) He spelled it as he heard some German or Dutchman broadly pronounce it.
The following notes from the field notes of a survey of the N.J. & N.Y. line made in 1774 is of interest. N 54o 15' W at 39 ch northward 16 ch 20 lks Philip Vors ( Dutch Fos or Fox) house; at 43 ch 5 ft southward of the N end of Philip Vor’s barn; at 55 ch in Haverstraw River (Mahwah River) at 76 ch the Post Road; · at 80 ch in Derrick Onemaker's orchard being 17 lks in a course N 68o E from the SW corner of apple tree at Stake No XV (15th mile stone) This was Derrick C., son of Christian, The head stone of Philip Fox mentioned above still stands in the old burying ground at Mahwah. He was b Aug 1709 and died 3/5/1790
An attempt was made to run the N.Y. &.N.J. provincial line in 1719 by Allane Jarrett, Surveyor General of N.Y. and James Alexander representing N.J. The record say they took with them, "a very good brass instrument”. They got along pretty well until in running the straight line between the two extreme points agreed on Jarret discovered that a lot of very valuable land already settled under grnts made by N.Ye was on the southern side. He then suddenly had grave doubts of the accuracy of the instrument and refused to go further until a better instrument could be sent from England, so the whole matter was dropped for 50 years.
The opposition to the census taking was due to a biblical superstition that the "numbering of the people" would surely bring a pestilence upon them. Gov. Hunter wrote to the home government:
"The superstition of this people is so insurmountable that I believe I shall never be able to obtain a complete list of the numbers of inhabitants of this province (N.Y.) A census of the Province of NJ was obtained by Gov. Burnet in 1726 in which Bergen Bounty returned the following number of inhabitants:
The Barberie 600 acre tract was 60 ch wid. (E&W.) and 100 ch N & S. . Magdalene Valleau's 900 acres tract was 60 ch wide and 150 ch N & S (from Clinton's field book) .
Beginning at West corner on Lot no 73 at S 43-53 1/2o E 16 ch then S 46-6 1/2o W at 53 ch passed by the south corner of wheat field (it lies in the next lot ) ••• previously recorded.
The Wanamakers and Maysingers occupied the lands known after 1752 as Barberies 600 acre tract. The early deeds recorded at Hack. describe Father Derrick's original lands as lying in the Island . The relation is shown by the map. Father Derrick's tract was 60 ch E & W by nearly 40 ch N & S. and the 1st Peter's tract to the south probably the same making in all a tract 3/4 mile wide and ;about 1 mile N & S. The house in which Dirck C. lived before he moved into his fathers house was located by the surveyor of the provincial line in 1774 as being near the 15th mile stone; he was then on Conrad's 105 acre tract. The house of the 1st Peter in the southern original half of the Wanamaker Tract was located by Clinton as being nor far from the "little German meeting house near the old German burying ground, now long neglected. Here doubtless Peter was buried with other members of the early generation, his stone house seems to be gone .
Peter' s south tract like Father Derrick's was divided into 3 sections . His step-son, Adam , had the north piece, Adam's son Derrick A. had that to the south and Peter reserved for himself and his son Hendrick the middle section which stood the homestead. The Shotwell conveyance to Henry describes Derrick A's lot as bounded on the north by Peter's lands. This homestead has been in the Wanamaker family for 6 generations either Richard or Henry alternating in each generation.
From the Records of the
In 1773, Apr 6th, report made by Henry Cuyler said they were experiencing difficulties selling lots due to rocky land, poorly timbered and much "wore out." Farmers could raise very little wheat. Tenants miserably poor. Some were shifting, jobbing or selling out. Renting wood lots bought under Fauconnier. Zabriskie in Paramus cut timber for sale and set bad example to poor tenants.
Sample of lease found in Parker papers to Henry Barkhoff, lease for 1 year of 218 ac. for £3. The lessor is required to defend the premises against other claimants. Leesee is to pay rent, cut no green timber for for use on premises. Cut no green
1785, Apr 15th John Stevens, James Parker, Walter Rutherford, Genl. Props of Eastern Div. of N.J. were given warrant for 5000 acres in Hamapo Tract, recorded in Book E no 7 of Warrants pg 29. Said to be piece from which Westervelt bought.
1790, Sept 18th. The Board acquired full possession of the land. (Min. Council B pg 345) and divided the tract into Parcels. Warrents were issued to each one for the amounts due to them and thus the Ramapo Tract passed out of possession of the Board as a whole to individual owners.
Other intervening numbers all belonged to various members of the Board of Props. They were located in this part of Bergen Co.
(note by copyist: LHB: This paper was in the possession of Mr. Dater Sr., of the Ramsey Journal. The early records of these Ramapo Lutherans may be found in the Lutheran Church of N.Y.C. beginning ca 1704. )
Source note: The above Wanamaker document is referenced in the Notes (bibliography) of the book Pioneer Settlement to Suburb - A history of Mahwah, New Jersey, 1700-1976 by Henry Bischoff & Mitchell Kahn, p. 107, 15. “The Wanamaker Family” (mimeographed), John Y. Dater, MSS, Ramsey. Email Keith Brickman, may 2014
|JOHN Y. DATER (1921 - 1985) |
John Y. Dater was born into one of Ramsey County, NJ's first families who contributed much to the development of what it is today. The Dater family settled in the area that became Ramsey in the late 1700's. They were originally millers who had purchased land that eventually became the town's center. John Y. Dater was an influential and important man in the town of Ramsey. In 1906, Mr. Dater became president of the Ramsey Board of Education. He continued to serve on the board for 33 years. In 1939, he retired from the Board of Education. Many changes and developments occured when Mr. Dater served as president. For example, the Ramsey High School grew from a two year to a four year school in 1909. He also served in the New Jersey State Legislature in 1920 to 1923 and also in 1926 to 1927. One of his greatest and noteable achievements included being awarded a grant to build the current high school during the difficult depression years. The school was offically named the John Y. Dater School in 1968. It was decided that the school would be named after Mr. Dater just 17 years after his death. During that time, the Board of Education selected John Y. Dater because he contributed so much of his life to Ramsey and the town's educational life. His love for education and also his town never went unnoticed by his remarkable achievements throughout his career. John Y. Dater was also the owner and editor of the Ramsey Journal. See his obituary in the New York Times.
Source: Keith Brickman supplied this bio in an email, May 2014.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids