|Home Page||WorldConnect Family File||Contact Me|
Presented below is the Family Bible of Samuel Burgey Gilbert and his wife Balinda Fredrick, both born in 1809. Samuel was born in Sidney Township and is the son of Abel Gilbert and Blandina Ostrum. Balinda Frederick is the daughter of John C Frederick and Mary Bush. One of her brothers was John Frederick Jr who was the founder of Belleville, Wisconsin.
Bibles can also tell a story. In this family, note the deaths of five of the children at young ages and 3 of those within a week in 1842. We are left to imagine the grief.
Thanks to Jamie H. Graham of Victoria, BC, owner of this Bible, who has given permission for the transcription and some images from the Bible to be posted here.
© Jamie H. Graham, Bible images, April 2012
Funeral announcement cards
The funeral of the late David Clapp, will take place from his late residence, Lot 15, 4th Concession Thurlow, on Sunday morning, May 2nd at 9 o’clock.
The funeral sermon will be preached at Canifton, at 10 o’clock, A.M.
Friends and acquaintances are invited to attend.
Thurlow, April 30th, 1869
The Funeral of the late Deborah, wife of David Purdy, Esq., will take place from the family residence, 3rd concession of Sidney, on Tuesday, August 11th, at one o’clock, p.m., thence to the Episcopal Methodist Church, Front of Sidney.
Sidney, August 10th, 1868
The Funeral of the late James Gilbert, Esq., will take place from the family residence, 2nd concession of Sidney, on Wednesday, October 23rd, at 10 o’clock, A.M. to the place of internment, Meyer’s, Front of Sidney.
Sidney, Oct. 21st, 1867
The funeral of the late Mary Henricks, widow of Jacob Hendricks, will leave the residence of Reuben S. Young, on Thursday, the 29th day of Feb., at 12 o’clock, for the Wesleyan M. Church, Trenton, where the funeral services will be held, and from thence to the Carrying Place for internment.
Murray, Feb. 27, 1872
Samuel B. Gilbert [note the handwritten draft also survived and the year is from this item]
The Funeral of the late Samuel B. Gilbert will leave the Family Residence, Front of Sidney, on Wednesday, the 14th of February at 10 o’clock A.M. thence to the White Church where the funeral services will be held.
Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.
Sidney Feby 12, 1873
Hand written note
Alfred Graham Gilbert and Amelia Avery Cooke married Aug 15th, 1914.
Children: [first 3] all born in Hampton, Va, USA
· Ada Cooke Gilbert - born Jun 27, 1915; died July 4, 1915.
· Sarah Rosaline Gilbert – born June 2, 1916
· Nelson Cooke Gilbert – born May 5, 1918
· Frances Evangeline Gilbert – born Sept 19, 1919. Born in Berwick, Nova Scotia, Kings County.
The Holy Bible
Published by John B. Perry, Philadelphia, 1850
[signed and dated on fly leaf] Samuel B Gilbert, Sidney, CW [Canada West] 1866?
Births [Page one - all in same hand and ink implying written at the same time.]
· Samuel Burgey Gilbert was born in Canada Feb 1st 1809.
· Balinda Gilbert was born in Canada Oct. 26th 1809.
· Phebe Ann Gilbert was born in Canada November 30th 1832.
· James Radford Gilbert was born in Canada August 26th 1834.
· Mary Caroline Gilbert was born in Canada May 26th 1836.
· John Frederick Gilbert was born in Canada July 24th 1838.
· Abel Henry Gilbert was born in Canada Dec. 28th 1840.
· William Henry Baldwin Gilbert was born in Canada Nov. 8th 1844.
· Nelson Burgey Gilbert was born in Canada May 18th 1846
· Helen Augusta Gilbert was born July 2nd 1848.
· Charles Clifton Gilbert was born in Canada Nov. 8th 1850.
Births [Page two – Different hand and ink from page one]
· Jessie Florence Gilbert - born August 28th 1881
· Alfred Graham Gilbert - born December 27th 1883
· Charles Ketchan Gilbert – born June 22nd 1888, died July 22nd 1888
· Robert Nelson Gilbert – born Feby 17, 1903.
· James Radford Gilbert died Sept 17th 1842, aged 8 years & 22 days.
· Abel Henry Gilbert died Sept 17th 1842, aged 1 year & 263 days.
· John Frederick Gilbert died Sept 25th aged 4 years & 63 days.
[Note: no year of death stated above but it would be 1842 given his birth record.]
· William Henry Baldwin Gilbert died Nov 10th 1850 aged 6 years & 2 days.
· Charles Clifton Gilbert died July 23rd 1863 aged 12 years, 8 months & 16 days.
· Nelson Burgey Gilbert died August 17th 1931, aged 85 years & 3 months.
· Samuel Burgey Gilbert and Balinda Frederick were married Feb. 8th 1832.
· Nelson Burgey Gilbert and Sarah M. Graham were married Sept 15th 1880.
· Jessie Florence Gilbert and Edwin B. Mallory were married Sept 15th 1904.
· Alfred G Gibert and Amelia Avery Cooke were married Aug 15th 1914.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids