Henry Markwort was born in the Province of Hanover, Germany, in 1837, and is the only child to the marriage of Ferdinand Markwort and Wilhelmina Preusse. Ferdinand Markwort died while on duty as a soldier, in 1837, after which his widow married Ferdinand Lange, who immigrated to America in 1858, and settled on a farm in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. He was a weaver by trade, and died in 1863.
His wife was born in 1818 and died in 1886. She was the mother of five children by her second marriage, four of whom are living., viz.: Ferdinand, of Cape Girardeau County; Wilhelmina, wife of William Bartels; Caroline, wife of Henry Aufdenburg, and August.
In early life, Henry Markwort learned the weaver's trade, at which he worked during the winter seasons, working on the farm during the summers while he remained in Germany. At the age of 21 years, he came to the United States. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union army, joining Col. L. Murdock's regiment of Fremont Rangers. After about five months, he re-enlisted in Co. D, 12th Missouri State Military Cavalry to serve three years or during the war, and served in Missouri and Arkansas. On February 2, 1863, the regiment was broken up, and Co. D was attached to the 5th Missouri Cavalry as Co. K. During his service Mr. Markwort travelled 15,876 miles.
On January 11, 1863 he married Minnie Behrens, who was born in Hanover, Germany in 1844. To them have been born eight children, who are living: Matilda (wife of Louis Lueders), Minnie, Arthur, Herbert, Gustof, Bertha, Ada and Louis.
In 1865, Mr. Markwort established a retail liquor store and hotel at Appleton, Missouri, which he managed until 1879, when he sold out and removed to Perryville, and in the spring of 1880 resumed the same line of business. In politics he is a Republican, and is a charter member of Difani's post 273, GAR, Dept. Mo. at Perryville. His wife and children are members of the Lutheran Church.
His son-in-law, Louis E. Leuders, was educated at Frohna, Missouri, and at St. Louis. At the age of 13 years, he began learning the jeweler's trade with Charles A Retter, of St. Louis, serving 3 1/2 years as an apprentice, and 6 months as a journeyman. In September 1884, he engaged in the jeweler's business at Frohna, but 6 months later went to Jackson, Missouri, and in November 1885, removed to Perryville, and established a jewelry store. He is a skillful workman, and is meeting with deserved success. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church.