Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Kelly's Directory 1875

KINGSBURY EPISCOPI is a parish and hundred, 2 miles north-west from Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway, and 4 south from Langport in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kingsbury East, union and county court district of Langport, rural deanery of Crewkerne, archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the river Parrett. The church of St. Martin is a noble Gothic stone structure, built probably in the reign of Henry VII., and restored in the years 1845-1849: it has a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, tower with 5 bells, clock, porch, and contains an organ and rood-screen. The register dates from the year 1728. The living is a vicarage, the tithes commuted at 360, with residence and 11 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Chancellor of Wells cathedral, and held by the Rev. Charles Cuthbert Southey, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. There is a handsome school-house, where day and Sunday schools are held in connection with the church. There is a chapel and school for Wesleyans. There is a charity for apprenticing poor boys. William Wyndham, esq., is lord of the manor, and Viscount Portman, Rev. H. P. Marriott-Dodington, Mrs. Beadon, and William Stuckey, Thomas Shepherd and Robert Sanson Rood Pittard, esqrs., are chief landowners. The soil is clay and loam; the subsoil clay and partly gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, flax, and apples and a large quantity of cider is made here. The area is 3,646 acres; rateable value, 8,708; and the population in 1871 was 1,707.

East Lambrook is a tithing in the parish of Kingsbury, 2 miles west from Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway, and 5 north-east from Ilminster, situated on the river Parrett. The chapel of St. James is a small ancient structure: it has chancel, nave, bell-gable and 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1771. The living is a rectory, and consists of a portion only of the tithing of East Lambrook, the tithes commuted at 85, with residence and 35 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, and held by the Rev. John Kenning Fowler, B.A., of Queens' College, Cambridge. A School Board has been formed, and new schools will be erected shortly. Here is a Sunday school. the Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor. The population is included in that of Kingsbury Episcopi, and have rights of marriage and burial in the parish church and churchyard.

West Lambrook is a tithing in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, 3 miles west from Martock station.

Mid Lambrook. half a mile south-west, is a hamlet, with an independent chapel.

Southay is a hamlet, adjoining East Lambrook.

Burrow, Lake, and Stembridge are also tithings in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi.

THORNEY, a mile north, is a hamlet in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi.

Parish Clerk of Kingsbury, Henry Eves.

Chapel Clerk of East Lambrook, Thomas Russ.

POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Susan Brown, receiver. Letters arrive from Ilminster at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.50 p.m. South Petherton & Martock are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

INSURANCE AGENT.- Royal Farmers' & General, E. Willy, Kingsbury

School (infants), Mrs. M. A. Eves, mistress

KINGSBURY EPISCOPI.

Bradford Mrs. Thorney

Southey Rev. Charles Cuthbert, M.A. [vicar]

COMMERCIAL.

Bishop Charles, saddler

Bradford Rhoda (Mrs.), farmer & landowner, Bladon farm

Bristar James, wheelwright

Brown Susan (Mrs.), Wyndham Arms

Bulgin John, blacksmith

Coate Walter, farmer

Coare William, beer retailer

Dare Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Dimmick Sarah (Mrs.), beer rtlr. Thorney

Edwards Marmaduke, shoe maker

Edwards Robert, farmer

England Henry White, farmer, agricultural implement & commission agt

Gummer Robert, farmer

Jennings Edwin Francis, farmer

Legg John, dairyman

Lovell James, wheelwright

Male Simon, farmer

Penny William, farmer

Pittard Baldwin, farmer & shopkeeper

Pittard Thomas, farmer & landowner

Pottenger John, farmer

Quantock Samuel, farmer

Richards Ann (Miss), shopkeeper

Richards Samuel, farmer

Rood William, baker

Satherley Edmund, shopkeeper, baker & farmer

Savidge John, butcher

Tilley Charlotte (Mrs.), beer retailer

Vile Simeon, shoe maker

Willy Arthur White, shopkeeper

Willy Edwin, farmer & overseer

Willy Ernest Augustus, corn dealer

Willy Susan (Mrs.), farmer

East Lambrook

Fowler Rev. John Kenning, B.A. [rector]

Lye Miss

Lye Mrs

COMMERCIAL.

Baker Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer

Batstone William Stark, baker & shopkpr

Clark John, dairyman

Gummer John, beer retailer

Inder Luke, blacksmith

Loveridge Elias, farrier & farmer

Lye George, farmer

Millard Vincent, shopkpr. & stone mason

Priddle James, farmer

Scott Edmund, farmer

Stuckey Abraham, wheelwright

Stuckey Samuel, shopkeeper

Vaux Gilbert, butcher

Mid-Lambrook.

Taylor Rev. George [Independent]

Derriman John, shopkeeper

Southay.

Durrant Silas, farm bailiff & dairyman

Shepherd Thomas, farmer & landowner

West Lambrook.

Garland Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Gray Giles, dairyman

Hole William, farmer & brick maker

Newiss George, farmer

Richards Sidney, farmer

Stevens Francis Paul, blacksmith

Stuckey Isaac, wheelwright

Burrow.

Cable Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Collins Robert, beer rtlr. & stone mason

Patten Jasper, farmer

Pottenger James, farmer & landowner, Burrow farm

Pottenger Samuel, farmer

Sibley Sarah (Mrs.), farmer

Stark Benj. farmer, Burrow Hill farm

Lake.

Pittard Robert Sanson Rood, farmer & landowner, Rodwell house

Stembridge.

England Mrs

COMMERCIAL.

Lovell John, carpenter & beer retailer, Stembridge ash

Porter Job, nurseryman

Pottenger John, farmer

Sibley James, farmer, landowner & nurseryman

Taverner Thomas, farmer

 

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page