Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Kelly's Directory 1875

ILE BREWERS is a village and parish, 136 miles from London, 6 south from Langport station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway, 5 north from Ilminster, and 10 east-by-south from Taunton, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, union and county court district of Langport, Crewkerne rural deanery, archdeaconry of Taunton, diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the east bank of the river Ile. The church of All Saints is a Gothic stone building, rebuilt in 1861, having a chancel, nave, tower with spire, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1692. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 225, with residence, in the gift of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, and held by the Rev. Joseph Augustus Miller. There is a school for boys and girls, and a Sunday school held in the school-room. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil is sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, beans, and oats. The area is 1,243 acres; rateable value, 2,275; and the population in 1871 was 371.

Parish Clerk, John Young.

Letters though Taunton arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at North Curry

School, Miss Young, mistress

Miller Rev. Joseph Augustus [vicar]

COMMERCIAL.

Bond Thomas, miller & baker

Brown James, farm bailiff to John Ostler, jun. esq

Budge William, shoe maker

Dally Robert, shopkeeper

Grigg Edwin, dairyman

Humphreys William, farmer & teasel grower, Brandon farm

Jeffery Thomas, farmer

Manning Thomas, blacksmith

Mead Lewis, butcher

Ostler John, farmer, Bush Furlong farm

Ostler John, jun. farmer, Walrond park

Sansom John, shopkeeper

Small George, farmer

Smith John, dairyman

Snook John, carrier

Snook Robert, shopkeeper

Towning Samuel, thatcher

Walker Richard, beer retailer & tailor

Young John, teasel grower & farmer

 

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page