Kelly's Directory 1875
Barrington is a village and parish, 6 miles west from Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter line of railway, and 4 north-east from Ilminster in the Western division of the county, hundred of South Petherton, union and county court district of Langport, rural deanery of Crewkerne, archdeaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Mary is a cruciform stone building, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, having a chancel, nave, transept, porch and octagonal tower with 4 bells. The register dates from 1584. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £85, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and held by the Rev. Richard Joseph Farran Lambert, B.A., of St. John's College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, endowed with £44 a year; and a Sunday school is held in the school-room. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. There is a charity of £3 yearly value. Barrington Court is one of the most beautiful specimens of Domestic architecture remaining in this county: it was probably built by Henry Daubeney, Earl of Bridgewater, who died in 1548; the manor had been for many ages the property of his very ancient family. Sir Thomas Phillip became the purchaser in 1605: it is now used as a farmhouse, and occupied by T. M. Lang, and remains in an excellent state of preservation. Richard Marker, esq., is lord of the manor; and William Parsons Peters,esq., and Samuel Bartlett, esq., and William Blake, esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is clay and loam and sand, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, and flax. The acreage is 1,656; rateable value, £3,271. The population in 1871 was 517.
Parish Clerk, John Morris
Letters are received through Ilminster; arrive at 9 a.m. & leave at 5.10 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Ilminster.
National School, Miss McHardy, mistress.
Lambert Rev. Richard Joseph Farran, B.A., [vicar]
Bond Charles, builder
Bond John, shopkeeper & mason
Brister Grace (Miss), farmer
Brister Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer
Bullen John, farmer
Burnell Edwd. Jesse, framer, The Priory
Dabenett Thomas, shoe maker
Dabenett Thomas, jun. shoe maker
Derriman George, shopkeeper & farmer
Greenslade William, shoe maker
Hillard John, sheepskin dealer
Lang Thos. M. frmr. Barrington Court
Male Henry, shopkeeper
Male John, farmer
Morris John, shopkeeper
Pavord Abraham Cave, farmer
Rowswell Angel, Royal Oak
Tratt, George, wheelwright