Search billions of records on

Hammond Biographies


The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume V

HAMMOND, Nathaniel Job, representative, was born in Elbert county, Ga., Dec. 26, 1833; son of Amos Worrill and Eliza Caroline (Hudson) Hammond; grandson of Job and Lucy (Howard) Hammond, and of Nathaniel Greene Hudson; great grandson of Samuel Hammond of Virginia, and a descendant of Maj.-Gen. John Hammend, who came from England to Virginia in 1635-37; removed to Maryland about 1645, and laid out the city of Annapolis, changing its name from Providence in honor of Queen Anne. Nathaniel was graduated at the University of Georgia in 1852; practised law in Atlanta in partnership with his father;was solicitor-general of the state, 1861-65; reporter of the supreme court, 1867-72; attorney-general of the state of Georgia, 1872-77; a member of the state constitutional conventions of 1865 audi 1877; a Democratic representative in the 46th, 47th, 48th and 49th congresses, 1879-87, and a member of the judiciary committee: trustee of the Uuiversity of Georgia, 1872-99; chairman of that board, 1889-99, and the earnest and powerful champion of the University and of education in general before the state legislature, and in convention; president of the board of trustees of the Atlanta college of physicians and surgeons; and chairman of the commission to settle claims between the state and the Western & Atlantic railroad company in 1891. His portrait was presented to the state by the bar of Atlanta, accepted by the General assembly, and placed in the law library of the state capitol. He was married in 1838, to Laura, daughter of Curtis Lewis of Griffin, Ga. He received the honorary degree of LL.D. from the University of Georgia in 1896. He died in Atlanta, Ga., April 20, 1899.


The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume V

HAMMOND, Samuel, representative, was born in Richmond county, Va., Sept. 21, 1757; son of Charles Hammond. He was a volnteer in the partisan warfare between the Whigs and Tories in North and South Carolina, 1776-82, on the Whig side, and operated against the Indians under Governor Dunmore; distinguished himself at the battle of Kanawha; led a company of patriots in the battle of Long Bridge. Va., in 1776; served under General Lincoln at the battle of Stono, S.C., in 1779; was assistant quartermaster at the siege of Savannah, Ga.; was a member of the council of capitulation at Charleston, S.C., and refused British protection. With thirty-three chosen men he made his escape to North Carolina and joined in the battles of Cedar Springs, Musgrove's Mills and Enoree River. In the battles of King's Mountain, Oct. 7, 1780, and Cowpens he lost many of his men. He then fought at Blackstocks where he was wounded; in the siege of Augusta, Ga., and on Sept. 8, 1781, at Eutaw, S.C., at which last place he was severely wounded. He was made colonel of cavalry, Sept. 17, 1781, and was with General Greene's army up to the close of the war for independence. In 1783 he was married to Mrs. Rebecca Rae, widow of Col. John Rae of Augusta, Ga. He then settled in Savannah, Ga.; was appointed surveyor general of the state; was elected to the state legislature and again entered the military service during the time of the Creek war of 1793. Upon the death of his wife in 1798 he retired to Rae's Hall. On May 25, 1802, he married Eliza Amelia O'Keefe. He was a representative in the 8th congress, 1803-05; military and civil commandant of upper Louisiana, and receiver of public moneys of Missouri, 1805-24. He was again a representative in the Georgia state legislature, 1824, surveyor-general of the state, 1825-31, and secretary of the state, 1831-35. He died at Varello Farm near Augusta, Ga., Sept. 11, 1842.


The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume V

HAMMOND, William Alexander, surgeon-general, was born in Annapolis, Md., Aug. 28, 1828. He was graduated at the University of the city of New York M.D. in 1848, and entered the U.S. army in 1849 as assistant surgeon with the rank of 1st lieutenant. After eleven years of service on the frontier he resigned from the army in October, 1860, to December professor of anatomy and physiology in the University of Maryland. He left the chair in 1861, to organize U.S. hospitals in Hagerstown, Frederick and Baltimore, having re-entered the army as assistant surgeon in May, 1861. In April, 1862, upon the reorganization of the medical department, he was appointed through the urgent request of General McClellan and the U.S. sanitary commission, surgeon general of the U.S. army, and was promoted to the rank of brigadier-general in the U.S. army. His management of the office was radical and [p.64] resulted in the improvement of the department and the increased efficiency of the field, camp and permanent hospital service from a department scarcely able to provide for an army of 15,000 to one fully competent to handle an army of 1,000,000 men. He established the army medical museum through a special order given by President Lincoln, and suggested the accumulation and safe keeping of medical and surgical records which resulted in the "Medical and Surgical History of the Rebellion." Certain charges were preferred against him in 1864, of irregularities in the award of liquor contracts, and the secretary of war caused him to be court-martialed and dismissed the service in August, 1864. Upon a review of the court-martial proceedings made by the President, by special act of congress in 1878, Dr. Hammond was restored to his place on the rolls of the army as surgeon-general and brigadier-general and he was placed on the retired list. He practised medicine in New York city after 1864, making nervous diseases a specialty. He held the chair of diseases of the mind and nervous system created for him in Bellevue hospital medical college, 1867-73, and a similar chair in the University of the city of New York, medical department, 1873-82. He was founder of the New York post-graduate medical school in 1882, lecturing before the school on nervous disorders, and was physician at the New York state hospital for diseases of the nervous system, 1870-78. He subsequently removed to Washington and established a sanitarium. He was elected a member of the American philosophical society, Oct. 21, 1859. He was twice married: first in 1849 to Helen, daughter of Michael Nisbit of Philadelphia, by whom he had five children; and secondly to Esther Dyer Chapin of Providence, R.I. Among his published works are: Physiological Memoirs (1863); Military Hygiene (1863); Sleep and Its Nervous Derrangements (1869); The Physics and Physiology of Spiritualism (1870); A Treatise on Diseases of the Nervous System (1871); Insanity in its Relations to Crime (1873); Hyperoemia (1878); Fasting Girls (1879); and novels: Robert Severne (1867); Lal (1884); Dr. Grattan (l884); Mr. Oldmixon (1885); A Strong Minded Woman (1886); Tales of Eccentric Life (1886); On the Susquehanna (1887); and The Son of Perdition (1898). He died at "Beleourt," Washington, D. C. Jan. 5, 1900.




Go back to Hammond Quick Page

Go back to Genealogy Page

Go back to Ruth's Page